Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-31-2019, 07:14 PM

Orange Seal Experts

Gang - How long does Orange Seal typically last/remain functional in a tire? I set up a pair of tubular race wheels a year ago with OS. Fact is, I don't think I rode the wheels ten times last year, with the last time being Labor Day weekend. The wheels have been hanging for six months? Re-fill? Go as is? Any input would be appreciated.

GP
Old 03-31-2019, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GParkes View Post
Gang - How long does Orange Seal typically last/remain functional in a tire? I set up a pair of tubular race wheels a year ago with OS. Fact is, I don't think I rode the wheels ten times last year, with the last time being Labor Day weekend. The wheels have been hanging for six months? Re-fill? Go as is? Any input would be appreciated.

GP
Orange seal comes with a little stick that you can put into the stem to check on the liquid inside, just put the stem at 6 o'clock.
Old 03-31-2019, 07:34 PM

I have a set of tubeless wheels that had OS endurance in them for about a year. Similar usage as yours. I checked them a few months ago and all of it had solidified at the low spot where the bike was sitting. I think they recommend topping off every few months to keep it from drying out.
Old 03-31-2019, 08:43 PM

I would bet money it’s solidified. Mine didn’t last over the winter. I’d pull the tire clean out the gummy stuff and refill.
Old 03-31-2019, 09:45 PM

Without regular agitation.. 3 months max.

A year is definitely done. Add another ounce per tire and roll on (since tubular, so you ain't cleaning 'em out!)
Old 04-01-2019, 10:22 AM

...the trick is to NOT use Orange Seal or any other sealant until u actually need it (i.e. after you get a flat) and use the smallest amount needed to actually seal a puncture. When on side of road, simply remove your valve core, fill with about 1/2 OZ or less, rotate tire so sealant flows to puncture, and then air up tire.

IME, Orange Seal drys and coagulates much quicker inside tire compared to others, resulting in a real mess. Best sealant I have tried is Bontrager TLR....this stuff seals large punctures and does not dry. Just this weekend I removed tubulars from set of wheels I had not used for over 6 months. I had applied Bontrager sealant to both over the last 18 months (at least two punctures in each tire). I cut the tires, removed the tubes, and found a tiny bit of sealant left that was still liquid, and no dry clumps anywhere in tube.

Look up sealant tests on Slowtwitch for data...
Old 04-01-2019, 10:58 AM

Here's a recent article that you may glean some info from: https://www.singletracks.com/blog/mt...ant-throwdown/
Old 04-01-2019, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhuerta View Post
...the trick is to NOT use Orange Seal or any other sealant until u actually need it (i.e. after you get a flat) and use the smallest amount needed to actually seal a puncture. When on side of road, simply remove your valve core, fill with about 1/2 OZ or less, rotate tire so sealant flows to puncture, and then air up tire.

IME, Orange Seal drys and coagulates much quicker inside tire compared to others, resulting in a real mess. Best sealant I have tried is Bontrager TLR....this stuff seals large punctures and does not dry. Just this weekend I removed tubulars from set of wheels I had not used for over 6 months. I had applied Bontrager sealant to both over the last 18 months (at least two punctures in each tire). I cut the tires, removed the tubes, and found a tiny bit of sealant left that was still liquid, and no dry clumps anywhere in tube.

This is also my experience with OS, drys faster than Stan's especially in hot environments like Sacto in the summer.
I think folks who use sealant in their tubular's as a precaution may have lots of dried up sealant in the tubes. However, I've heard from a tubular user who uses OS that after many months in the tube it still remains liquid. This has me thinking that OS may react differently to latex compared to butyl rubber.

Last edited by Tony; 04-01-2019 at 11:17 AM.
Old 04-01-2019, 03:05 PM

I have had good luck with original formula Orange Seal staying liquid for 6 months on a tubeless road wheelset that has a tight seal. Doesn't last as long on my mtb tires...maybe more air volume = more air exposure.

the endurance formula is more liquid....I don't think it seals as well....especially for road tubeless where pressures are higher
Old 04-02-2019, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhuerta View Post

I had OS in a set of wheels for two years (they were used fairly regularly - 2 days/week maybe) and it did not coagulate. I'm certain it saved me at least once from a flat. That being said, I did fill this set of wheels up with an ounce or so more given the fact I'll be on this set regularly this year.

Thanks for all input guys.
Old 04-02-2019, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GParkes View Post
I had OS in a set of wheels for two years (they were used fairly regularly - 2 days/week maybe) and it did not coagulate. I'm certain it saved me at least once from a flat. That being said, I did fill this set of wheels up with an ounce or so more given the fact I'll be on this set regularly this year.

Thanks for all input guys.
I only run tubeless in my mtbs, two bikes used lots throughout the year.
2 1/2 oz of OS will last me no more that 4 months before it has hardened inside the tire, 2 -3 months in the summer.
Old 04-03-2019, 10:44 AM

Some of you scrape the dried sealant out?

I don't know, man. Seems like a hassle. I just re-fill. I figure most of the weight of sealant is liquid so that's what evaporates out when it dries.
Old 04-03-2019, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc40a View Post

I don't know, man. Seems like a hassle. I just re-fill. I figure most of the weight of sealant is liquid so that's what evaporates out when it dries.
It depends.
If the dried sealant is spread evenly around the tire, then I leave it.
If the dried sealant is pooled at one spot, then I yank it out because those big globs do unbalance the tire, and it is an easy removal.

Instagram
Old 04-03-2019, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc40a View Post

Not most, 2 1/2 oz of OS scraped out of the tire can end up with a ball 3/4 the size a golf ball.