Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-03-2018, 06:43 PM

I get easily 5000 to 7500 before any real 'stretch' KMC X10SL/X11SL - but they look so worn on the side plates I usually toss 'em even if they don't measure more than .25 or so.

The lowest I've ever gotten was 3500 miles one season when I rode through endless mud and dirt and rain.

I never clean them, maybe once/year when I clean bikes (I hate cleaning bikes!) - I just add some more prolink (road) or squirt (gravel) and wipe off every week or two.

No idea how everyone wears out chains so fast, I guess it is that fuel economy thing.
Old 12-03-2018, 07:09 PM

use KMC X10SL chains and Chain-L lube and wipe the chain after every ride.

ride in dry, relatively dirt-free conditions.

current chain has 11,387 miles, still passes the elongation test using a steel ruler. shifts are flawless.

going to do a major parts change out on NY Day...new saddle, chain, pedals, tires, bar tape.
Old 12-03-2018, 08:46 PM

Wow, 11k+ miles is incredible! I use a ruler and an older Park tool chain checker, the kind with the little dial like thingy. I am more of a masher so I am sure I don't get huge mileage because of that.
Old 12-03-2018, 10:08 PM
Serotta Red

Location: Leawood, KS- It is in Kansas City, July west tisbury October tucson
About the same

2500-3500
Once in a great while 5000+
Cleanliness in next to godliness for chain life

QUOTE=gary_a_gooner;2463884]I thought that 2500 - 3000 was low for a chain, but guess not. That's my typical mileage.[/QUOTE]
SN# HC-54-265
Old 12-03-2018, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainbow View Post

What chain's wear fast/last longest? What drivetrain config lasts longest/wears fastest?
Just a bit of devil’s advocate, but even a Dura Ace chain is a ~$35 part. Why bother worrying about something that most people will change once a year?
Old 12-03-2018, 10:57 PM
Rock Hard ~ Ride Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seramount View Post
”...current chain has 11,387 miles, still passes the elongation test...”
Sera, we replaced your chain twice the last two times you had bicycle in for tune-ups at shop.
We forgot to tell you and we also forgot to put it on the invoice. You owe us $100. Thanks.
Old 12-03-2018, 11:00 PM

clean drivetrain like everyone's already said will def improve longevity but chains are meant to wear. Stay on top of checking it to improve life of cassette and chainrings. with that being said i am a fan of non hollow pins (stuff gets stuck in em). cant go wrong with ultegra. Sram makes a mtn chain that i use for my 1X gravel bike. Its advertised that its stretch is like x2 the life of a normal 1X chain. I also replace my 11 spd chains when the chain checker tool displays .25 instead of .5
Old 12-04-2018, 12:14 AM
Vendor

Does anyone use Molten Speed Wax? The comments on cycling tips has me thinking about trying them out. https://cyclingtips.com/2018/11/ten-...18-david-rome/

My slow cooker has been gathering dust ever since I got a pressure cooker.

Last edited by weaponsgrade; 04-02-2019 at 02:19 PM.
Old 12-04-2018, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitpuddle View Post
Just a bit of devil’s advocate, but even a Dura Ace chain is a ~$35 part. Why bother worrying about something that most people will change once a year?
yeah, it is something of a data point for anyone interested, and I assume there are some types of riders who may "enjoy" being on a 3rd chain in a calendar year, or even a less serious rider who silently fist pumps when a component wears out from allll that sweet commuting they're doing and how now they get to fill the tank.

I think I will adjust the line to go more like "average of 900-3000mi". which convey's that maintenance and riding style and too a lesser degree, material matter in the wildly varied longevity of drivetrain bits.
Old 12-04-2018, 05:30 AM

I replace with the calendar. One in the spring, one in the fall. The spring one gets about 3k miles, the fall about 2k. Not worth quibbling as ultegra chains are about $25-$30 each...
Old 12-04-2018, 06:34 AM
Strong Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Wippermann has done chain wear tests for a long time. They've got a video done years ago in the days of 10 speed and now they have one for 11 speed. Although their best chain always does better than any other, a lower level wipperman chain doesn't do particularly well.
In my perception, chain wear test stands are like tire test stands; what does well on one test stand can do bad on a different one, and obviously, manufacturers develop products so that thewy work well on their test stand.

I found chain usage/maintenance having a bigger influence on durability than brands.
Old 12-04-2018, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davist View Post
I replace with the calendar. One in the spring, one in the fall. The spring one gets about 3k miles, the fall about 2k. Not worth quibbling as ultegra chains are about $25-$30 each...
Pretty much what I do. Just change out the chain on the bike I ride the most twice a year. And the one I ride the least every winter. KMC chains are cheap. I look for sales and get several at a time.

I have a 13-26 Campy cassette on one bike that still works good after 6 chains used on it. Bet cassette has 10,000 or more miles on it. Did notice 18 tooth getting worn last time.

And I don't do any fancy maintenance on them either. Just wipe down every few rides with rag with WD 40 in it, and apply 3-4 drops of bar oil around the chain. Never lube the whole chain. Guess riding it works the oil in around chain. Don't notice this kind of maintenance shortens life VS more lube. Don't ever ride in rain or wet (unless I get caught in it maybe once a year).

Last edited by Ralph; 12-04-2018 at 06:46 AM.
Old 12-04-2018, 06:51 AM
Administrator

maybe if i rode a LOT more miles/year i would concern myself, but i cant be bothered with trying to maximize chain life.

i dont measure stretch or perform any other spiritualistic rituals that some people seem to subscribe to. keep the chain reasonably clean and lubed with literally anything slippery and they are fine.

i use cheap KMC chains and change them at about 2k miles. that may be overkill, but i cant remember ever wearing out a cassette or chainring, and chans are so cheap compared to chainrings, i'm happy to toss a $20 dollar chain before it's time.

now that ultegra chains come with quick links, and can be had cheaply on sale, i may start using them also.
Old 04-02-2019, 01:11 PM
Vendor

I decided to give this Speedwax thing a try. Mostly for the benefit of not having to deal with a greasy chain. I picked up a gallon of mineral sprits from the hardware store and I've got a batch of chains sitting in their second wash right now. I'm going to wax two used chains, each with well under 500 miles and two new chains. The plan is to keep a waxed chain on standby in case I don't have time for the re-waxing. I'm recycling the mineral spirits by filtering through a coffee filter. What's been interesting is that it's taking much longer for the mineral spirits used to wash the new chains to filter through than the mineral spirits used to wash the used chains to filter through. It seems that the new chains have a lot more fine particles than the old chains.
Old 04-02-2019, 03:52 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Wippermann has done chain wear tests for a long time. They've got a video done years ago in the days of 10 speed and now they have one for 11 speed. Although their best chain always does better than any other, a lower level wipperman chain doesn't do particularly well.

I did some real world wear testing with Campy 10 chains and found that they wear like no other, with far less than .5% elongation, even after 6,000 miles
https://bikerumor.com/2018/01/29/wip...lasts-longest/
Thanks for posting that link. Not terribly surprised by the results. Wipperman makes a hell of a strong chain, but it rolls worse. Record 10 and 11 chains have always been the best IMHO. Record 10 chains last for. ever.

Not surprised about SRAM. Ever since we watched Cancellara busting them every other weekend I never thought to give them another try. First few SRAM ones I tried were junk, never went back, and they still come in last of the big players.