Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-24-2019, 08:32 PM

Vinyl Decals on my Ti bike - moving on

Hey all

Have a Seven Evergreen id like to strip down to bare ti and start fresh (aesthetically) . ..

I have standard decals on part of the bike which I can take care of, but having trouble removing the "custom" vinyl bits that were done up for me maybe 4 plus years ago.

Ill post a photo for two in a bit to help you understand where I am at but...

They are red, a great color mind you but im looking to black out the bike a bit and chill its obvious bling factor a bit too as I want to start riding it around town more.

What says the all knowing PL group.

I don't have access to more powerful chemicals, and am hoping to get some acetone for the standard decals at a lowes/home depot type of place this week.

Im also looking to do something different than the normal options that Seven offers. Their stock stuff is kind of limited and im not ready budget wise to go paint or otherwise.

I do have a set of down tube ( Seven ) decals in reflective black. But not sure if I want to roll with those yet

I guess im just looking for your thoughts, as i respect many of your options when it comes to aesthetics. Since I am not working in the industry any more I dont get to see whats what, therefore have a somewhat stifled process when it comes to what this bike should look like in its next rendition.

cheers folks and thanks in advance
Old 02-24-2019, 08:39 PM

Vinyl decals without clear coat should come off pretty easy by blasting with a hair dryer.
Old 02-24-2019, 08:43 PM
shimergo

Here are the instructions that Moots provides for decal removal and replacement:

https://moots.com/wp-content/uploads...STRUCTIONS.pdf
Old 02-24-2019, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaghetti Legs View Post
Vinyl decals without clear coat should come off pretty easy by blasting with a hair dryer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobydrew View Post
Here are the instructions that Moots provides for decal removal and replacement:

https://moots.com/wp-content/uploads...STRUCTIONS.pdf
HEAT... did not think of that... now all i need to do is find a hair drier.. thanks gents
Old 02-24-2019, 08:48 PM

Goo Gone.
Old 02-24-2019, 08:53 PM

Yup. Acetone works for ink transfer decals. Acetone will not work on the vinyl decals you have, I wouldn’t waste your time. Heat is your friend.
Old 02-24-2019, 09:05 PM

When you want new decals, check out this guy. He made the decals for my Moots, and they are super tough

https://www.ebay.com/str/megastores
Old 02-24-2019, 09:28 PM

I used goo gone and a plastic putty knife on a friend's bike since the decals were in pieces already, then polished with WD 40 and a really fine grade steel wool, looked great.
Old 02-24-2019, 09:31 PM

As others have said, heat gun. The acetone will do a good job of removing the left over goo. People like goo gone, but I've found acetone makes the job go a lot faster.
Old 02-24-2019, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbnm View Post
When you want new decals, check out this guy. He made the decals for my Moots, and they are super tough

https://www.ebay.com/str/megastores
How should one apply these decals? Do you need special solution to prep them so that you can move them around to find the perfect placement?
Old 02-25-2019, 12:11 AM

I did not wet the frame in any kind of way.

I just took my time and slowly applied them.
Old 05-02-2019, 05:55 AM

Went ahead with it a while back and man was it easy, what was I waiting for? Super pleased with the new much more subtle aesthetic. Here it is on a recent trip to NW Italy. thinking of dialing it even more back with a black or pewter headset.

Old 05-02-2019, 07:14 AM
That guy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyan View Post
How should one apply these decals? Do you need special solution to prep them so that you can move them around to find the perfect placement?
I got a set of decals from this seller too.
Good quality.

The original decals from the manufacturer of my bike came as one piece, and was of a higher quality. These, unless he has an purchase option im not aware of...are individual decals on a sheet.
However. These one are still really good. Plus they give you so many.

For prep. I just cleaned the area with alcohol and applied the decals. I used a small rag that was soaked in hot water and applied pressure to the individual letters. That allowed it to properly adhere to the frame and less chance of them peeling off with the backing sheet.

If you order from this supplier. Like i mentioned. They give you so many decals. You can honestly try a few around your frame to get the feel of application.
Old 11-18-2019, 08:07 PM

blasted schemes

If you are looking for an understated aesthetic, you may want to consider a blasted scheme - ghosted etching. seven will do that for $249. it's a full commit but sounds towards the direction you're contemplating
Old 11-18-2019, 08:20 PM

Panels?

Since this got revived, does anyone know who can do panel decals? I just replaced my Moots decals from the factory but wanted to see if anyone has done custom panels? I know there is an outfit in California that can do panels but lost their info. They had the Motts letters cut out so it showed the bare ti underneath to form the logo. Pretty cool. Thx