Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Image Gallery > Custom Bikes

Old 07-23-2019, 11:24 AM

Wowie Zowie! Now that's how you do custom. Well done, Stephen.
Old 07-23-2019, 04:19 PM

Ride report and photos

So I thought I would deliver a quick ride report, and share a few photos.

As mentioned, this frame started life in a very different perspective, but as my build date got nearer and things changed, I realized that I had a once in a lifetime trip to The Tour planned that would coincide with the build date.

So besides a few short shakedown rides, my first real ride was the Cormet De Roselend in the French Alps.

Here was my first impressions:

The build up of this bike is almost three pounds heavier than my titanium Zanconato. Attribute that to Disc brakes, about 140 grams in the tires, the saddle, and the fact that 12 speed EPS is just a bit heavier than 11 Speed.

So, the moment of inertia is just a bit slower than what I was planning to take.

However, Firefly nailed the contact points and the bike literally disappeared beneath me. The handling is extremely neutral and was extremely stable at very high speeds.

So here is the real stand out area:

Discs are for real for descending. You can brake sooooo much later going into corners. I was diving into really tight switchbacks on the descent, and braking later than I ever thought possible.

This inspired sooo much confidence, and that made for some incredible descents from both Roselend as well as Alpe D’ Huez!

So, bottom line, THIS BIKE ROCKS!

Enjoy the photos!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8F95D300-2F4C-4008-88A6-D2F79C5B8CBF.jpg (110.5 KB, 155 views)
File Type: jpg 9F9154BF-1744-45BF-BADE-92B4F05D4CF4.jpg (150.6 KB, 154 views)
File Type: jpg 135670D3-0C44-467C-90D5-D489483389FD.jpg (148.6 KB, 153 views)
File Type: jpg 6D20AD21-98D9-4708-A2A1-3D932F915550.jpg (148.2 KB, 154 views)
Old 07-23-2019, 04:25 PM

Sorry for the crappy photos!!! Someone feel free to turn them, I just have a phone here.

Stephen
Old 07-23-2019, 07:57 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenCL View Post
However, Firefly nailed the contact points and the bike literally disappeared beneath me. The handling is extremely neutral and was extremely stable at very high speeds.

Discs are for real for descending. You can brake sooooo much later going into corners. I was diving into really tight switchbacks on the descent, and braking later than I ever thought possible.
Congratulations on a beautiful ride my friend. The paint schema is both old and new at the same time - chapeau. I am a big fan of painted ti with a naked reveal on the rear triangle. came out beautifully. and what a great way to "break it in"

I have had the same experience - a bike that weighs more but disappears - where did those pounds go? Fit first above all, right?

And discs....that is right. what you noted is exactly why discs are critical for mtb and gives us the ability to stop on a dime and change lines mid-rock garden. for long steep road descents - besides the being able to carry more speed there is just so much less hand pressure required. one finger all day long. do we NEED it? no. is it nice? YES (based on my 9170)

Last edited by pdmtong; 07-24-2019 at 01:55 PM.
Old 07-23-2019, 09:04 PM

This is REALLY nice, congrats! I love the colour and the proportions look perfect as well. Any chance you could share the frame geometry?
Old 07-23-2019, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenCL View Post
There is a titanium firefly stem on its way!!!!!

The levers are pretty big, but actually in riding them, I kind of dig them. They give you something nice and meaty to hang on to.

Stephen
First, chapeau indeed on a rock-solid build! Very purposeful and classic look with a modern feel to it.

I'm a big fan of the Campy hydro levers (mine are mechanical). What a solid feel in hand, and I'm right with you on discs being great in the mountains! And the weight-disappears-beneath-you-mystery -- exactly what I wrote about my first reactions to my Alliance.

Enjoy the riding, the viewing, the wine and food. It does look like the trip of a lifetime!

Last edited by teleguy57; 07-23-2019 at 09:50 PM.