Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight


Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Image Gallery > The Showcase

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #736  
Old 02-19-2018, 11:07 AM
tedbarbeau tedbarbeau is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Cohasset, MA
Posts: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Evans View Post
Titanium Fat


This fat bike is one of my 5 favorite bikes you've ever built, Tyler. I can't imagine how much fun this is to rip around on in the woods.

The paint job is A+++.
Reply With Quote
  #737  
Old 02-22-2018, 02:22 PM
Tyler Evans's Avatar
Tyler Evans Tyler Evans is offline
Framebuilder
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Boston
Posts: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedbarbeau View Post
This fat bike is one of my 5 favorite bikes you've ever built, Tyler. I can't imagine how much fun this is to rip around on in the woods.

The paint job is A+++.
Thanks!
__________________
Tyler Evans | Framebuilder | Firefly Bicycles | Boston
Reply With Quote
  #738  
Old 03-09-2018, 10:33 AM
Tyler Evans's Avatar
Tyler Evans Tyler Evans is offline
Framebuilder
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Boston
Posts: 434
// Titanium Road // Chorus //

// Titanium Road // Chorus //















__________________
Tyler Evans | Framebuilder | Firefly Bicycles | Boston
Reply With Quote
  #739  
Old 03-09-2018, 05:31 PM
cgolvin's Avatar
cgolvin cgolvin is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: The Boss Basin
Posts: 1,517
Tyler, is that bar tape a Firefly exclusive or is it publicly available? It's beautiful (as are the bikes, goes without saying).

thanks
Reply With Quote
  #740  
Old 03-10-2018, 06:38 AM
Tyler Evans's Avatar
Tyler Evans Tyler Evans is offline
Framebuilder
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Boston
Posts: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgolvin View Post
Tyler, is that bar tape a Firefly exclusive or is it publicly available? It's beautiful (as are the bikes, goes without saying).

thanks
Here you go!

https://www.cinelli-usa.com/cinelli-...dlebar-tape-1/

__________________
Tyler Evans | Framebuilder | Firefly Bicycles | Boston
Reply With Quote
  #741  
Old 03-10-2018, 07:15 AM
happycampyer happycampyer is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Westchester, NY
Posts: 3,767
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky33 View Post
I woke up early this morning, and the Flickrs of this bike burned the day's first images onto my sleepy retinas. It felt rad. Better than coffee.

The Oliver + Switchback Hills looks fun. The Oliver looks better with the touch of paint. Who painted this fade?

Good on Firefly for making another crazy idea a reality.
Tyler can confirm, but I'm pretty sure that one of the painters at Parlee does most of the "in house" paint work (not counting the artistic renditions by Josie Morway, like the fat bike above). This one is off the charts. I love how it is thoroughly modern (with a lefty, in fabrication,etc.) and retro at the same time.
Reply With Quote
  #742  
Old 03-12-2018, 12:39 PM
Tyler Evans's Avatar
Tyler Evans Tyler Evans is offline
Framebuilder
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Boston
Posts: 434
// Ti-Carbon Road // eTAP

// Ti-Carbon Road // eTAP















__________________
Tyler Evans | Framebuilder | Firefly Bicycles | Boston
Reply With Quote
  #743  
Old 03-12-2018, 04:13 PM
Burnette Burnette is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,328
Just Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Evans View Post
// Ti-Carbon Road // eTAP


Another awesome entry Tyler. A sign of good execution is when builders make you like things you normally aren't into like randos, fat bikes and mixed material bikes. I like this one, a lot.

A few questions if you please. First, I noticed carbon on the seat stay on a disc brake Carbon/Ti bike. Is that new as I recall seeing such a Firefly on your site like this but the seat stay was all titanium.

Second, pure vanity on my part, I noticed that the carbon weave layer isn't used on tubes as much as in the past. I understand that it adds a tad bit of weight, serves no functional purpose and is a pain to do, but my eyes do like it! No worse than a paint jog IMO. In wet gloss look it really pops. Could it be done on a Firefly?

Third, I'm short in stature and have always thought that the benefits of mixed material frames in my size (50) weren't as beneficial to such a small frame. Frames in my size don't lend to much ride quality manipulation as the tubes are so short compared to say a size 56. Do you feel that there is still some benefit to a mixed frame in small sizes?

Thanks for posting up here, I check it for updates and I'm never disappointed.
Reply With Quote
  #744  
Old 03-12-2018, 08:18 PM
Tyler Evans's Avatar
Tyler Evans Tyler Evans is offline
Framebuilder
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Boston
Posts: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnette View Post

A few questions if you please. First, I noticed carbon on the seat stay on a disc brake Carbon/Ti bike. Is that new as I recall seeing such a Firefly on your site like this but the seat stay was all titanium.
Just another option. Each bike is dialed in for the end users intended use and each tubest is specific to the individual. We mix, match and blend to create the right bike with the right traits.

Quote:
Second, pure vanity on my part, I noticed that the carbon weave layer isn't used on tubes as much as in the past. I understand that it adds a tad bit of weight, serves no functional purpose and is a pain to do, but my eyes do like it! No worse than a paint jog IMO. In wet gloss look it really pops. Could it be done on a Firefly?
It can be done. Actually working on one now.

Quote:
Third, I'm short in stature and have always thought that the benefits of mixed material frames in my size (50) weren't as beneficial to such a small frame. Frames in my size don't lend to much ride quality manipulation as the tubes are so short compared to say a size 56. Do you feel that there is still some benefit to a mixed frame in small sizes?
Certainly, but I would be hesitant to say exactly what the perfect blend of materials would be without talking more specifically about you and your intended use.

Thanks for following along!
__________________
Tyler Evans | Framebuilder | Firefly Bicycles | Boston
Reply With Quote
  #745  
Old 03-12-2018, 10:24 PM
Burnette Burnette is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,328
Thanks Tyler

Burnette: Second, pure vanity on my part, I noticed that the carbon weave layer isn't used on tubes as much as in the past. I understand that it adds a tad bit of weight, serves no functional purpose and is a pain to do, but my eyes do like it! No worse than a paint jog IMO. In wet gloss look it really pops. Could it be done on a Firefly?

Tyler: It can be done. Actually working on one now.


Awesome! I'll keep and eye out for it.
Reply With Quote
  #746  
Old 03-13-2018, 08:09 PM
Tyler Evans's Avatar
Tyler Evans Tyler Evans is offline
Framebuilder
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Boston
Posts: 434
// Titanium Road // Dura-Ace Di2 //

// Titanium Road // Dura-Ace Di2 //

[













__________________
Tyler Evans | Framebuilder | Firefly Bicycles | Boston
Reply With Quote
  #747  
Old 03-16-2018, 09:24 PM
Tyler Evans's Avatar
Tyler Evans Tyler Evans is offline
Framebuilder
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Boston
Posts: 434
// Ti-Carbon City // Kicker //

// Ti-Carbon City // Kicker //















__________________
Tyler Evans | Framebuilder | Firefly Bicycles | Boston
Reply With Quote
  #748  
Old 03-17-2018, 10:12 AM
d_douglas d_douglas is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 6,557
Yeeesh, always incredible. As your frames are so costly (and gorgeous), do you ever get budget constrained clients who ask you to build with an SLX or 5800 group? All I ever see is Dura ace, SR, XTR, and now eTap!

Those Onyx Enve wheels are my dream set. Period. Are the hubs good or orange, by the way?

Truly, these are gorgeous, beautiful, stunning bicycles.

Last edited by d_douglas; 03-17-2018 at 10:17 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #749  
Old 03-17-2018, 03:11 PM
Tyler Evans's Avatar
Tyler Evans Tyler Evans is offline
Framebuilder
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Boston
Posts: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_douglas View Post
Yeeesh, always incredible. As your frames are so costly (and gorgeous), do you ever get budget constrained clients who ask you to build with an SLX or 5800 group? All I ever see is Dura ace, SR, XTR, and now eTap!

Those Onyx Enve wheels are my dream set. Period. Are the hubs good or orange, by the way?

Truly, these are gorgeous, beautiful, stunning bicycles.
Thanks!

The hubs are gold. Onyx hubs are super cool. I hope to put them on my next MTB.

__________________
Tyler Evans | Framebuilder | Firefly Bicycles | Boston
Reply With Quote
  #750  
Old 03-17-2018, 06:27 PM
nmrt nmrt is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,098
I have never commented on any of your bikes. But this one --- just superb. You guys have extraordinary craftmanship.
BTW, that is an interesting seat post clamp. Is it something you guys fashioned or an "over the counter"?
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Evans View Post
Thanks!

The hubs are gold. Onyx hubs are super cool. I hope to put them on my next MTB.

Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
firefly

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.