Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-20-2018, 10:17 AM

Flats vs. clipless and foot fatigue

I've switched my Anderson over to the Race Face Atlas flat pedals I use on my XC MTB and find I'm not slower on my usual 20-40 mile rides, and I like the ability to grab the bike and ride shorter rides, like to work or the library, etc., where I'm going to be doing something not related to biking, without carrying a 2nd set of footwear. I'm going to do a longer ride at the end of the week, 5-7 hours, and I'm wondering if there is possibility of some fatigue from locating the foot on the flat pedals (they have small pins that keep shoes from slipping) and whether people who ride flats notice that their feet feel it more after a long ride vs. clipless and good shoes? At this point all my bikes have flats except the Nagasawa fixed that has clips and straps, and the CAAD10 that has clipless.
Old 08-20-2018, 10:35 AM

I haven't noticed any extra fatigue riding RAGBRAI each year on flats. And that's 70 mile days for a solid week. With sandles on bmx flats I reposition my feet a lot, but if anything that seems to make me less uncomfortable, especially after a long day.

I also do a couple sprint tris a year on naked flat pedals (T2 is pretty fast without changing shoes!). Only on the steepest hills have I ever missed being clipped in.
Old 08-20-2018, 10:39 AM

I have been riding a Romanceur the last couple of weekends on the flat side of the Shimano T8000 pedals and running shoes. My feet both start to get numb after about 15 miles, and I never experience that with cycling shoes and clips. I might just need some stiffer soled shoes.
Old 08-20-2018, 10:44 AM

I have a pair of Crank Brothers Doubleshot pedals that are similar to your Shimanos - flat one side, clip in the other side. I don't find them as comfortable as a true double side flat pedal, and I think it's because the platform is smaller, and there are perhaps some compromises in the shape of the platform (its concavity) from clearance for the clip-in portion. I have them on my old Bob Jackson, which generally doesn't get rides longer than 20 miles, so it doesn't matter much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokoman View Post
I have been riding a Romanceur the last couple of weekends on the flat side of the Shimano T8000 pedals and running shoes. My feet both start to get numb after about 15 miles, and I never experience that with cycling shoes and clips. I might just need some stiffer soled shoes.
Old 08-20-2018, 10:47 AM

If anything, I think I my feet actually feel better on flats, likely at the expense of some efficiency versus SPDs, but maybe that's just perceived.

I will say that half toe clips (or maybe they're called quarter?), the ones without straps, were probably the worst setup I've tried. I think it encouraged a toe down stroke that really messed with my leg/hip.
Old 08-20-2018, 11:07 AM
n - 1

For me, shoes play the bigger role than the pedals. Flats or not, give me stiff soles.
Old 08-20-2018, 11:10 AM

i haven't ridden that long on flats unless it was a lift day, but i usually let the terrain dictate the equipment. if anticipate a lot of pedaling i'll usually swap in my clipless pedals.
Old 08-20-2018, 11:38 AM

Funny you say that! I have large plastic half clips on my Big Dummy, which let me wear a wide range of footwear, such as boots in the winter (it's the crummy weather commuter and errand bike, big fenders and gen hub lighting. But with the modern day flats I'd probably be better off with flats.
Part of my problem is that my fave flats are the Race Face Atlas, and they are so $$$! I have a pair of Xpedo Spry on one bike, and Race Face Chester on another, but the Atlas is the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc40a View Post
If anything, I think I my feet actually feel better on flats, likely at the expense of some efficiency versus SPDs, but maybe that's just perceived.

I will say that half toe clips (or maybe they're called quarter?), the ones without straps, were probably the worst setup I've tried. I think it encouraged a toe down stroke that really messed with my leg/hip.
Old 08-20-2018, 11:40 AM

There isn't really any time mtb'ing where my feet are in the same place on plat pedals for very long because trail riding is not monotonous in that way. My feet never tire when using flats on the trail.

I suppose I would feel differently about flat pedals if I were pounding out long road miles on them. But that's not where flats make sense anyway. I just don't see the point of using flats off the trail, except for commuting.

In any case, ditto on the stiff soles comment. Cycling shoes of any kind are better with stiff soles, even mtb sneaks (e.g. 5-10s)

Instagram

Last edited by sparky33; 08-20-2018 at 11:43 AM.
Old 08-20-2018, 11:49 AM

Back to back 60 mile days with lots of climbing pulling a trailer with 5/10s on MKS Sylvans are fine. Most of my rides (not errands) are clipped in.
Old 08-20-2018, 11:54 AM
Administrator

Question has a lot to do with what shoes you are wearing with the flat pedals too imo.
Old 08-20-2018, 12:14 PM

Often if I'm going out for a ride, I'll wear a pair of Five Ten Freeriders. But I wear Garmont light trail shoes as daily wear, and ride a lot in them as well. The Atlas pedals seem to be shaped just right for my feet, so I don't need a very stiff, so i can wear a shoe that's good for walking too

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
Question has a lot to do with what shoes you are wearing with the flat pedals too imo.
Old 08-20-2018, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokoman View Post
Or bigger platforms.
Old 08-20-2018, 02:15 PM

I switched one of my MTB's to flats a few weeks ago and holy crap, foot fatigue is real! I'm wearing some 5.10 shoes for pedal grip, but they definitely aren't stiff enough. My feet get tired after an hour or so and downright sore after 2 hours.

I think its partially due to my feat being weak from clip-less pedals and their rock hard carbon soles. My feet aren't used to gripping/lifting on the pedals!
Old 08-20-2018, 04:46 PM

There are some quick easy exercises for strong feet/arches and ankles. Constant use of stiff soles and orthotics makes our feet weak, then it's understandably hard to do more than we're used to.