Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-20-2018, 02:12 PM

Haha thanks for all the responses. I got a couple more pictures and it looks not as bad as the first pictures, I think.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 13EE0159-39D4-412D-8F19-E03BA6D6B93D.jpg (69.2 KB, 144 views)
File Type: jpg 96726092-82B4-41D3-AA68-84C21A2A75FC.jpg (50.9 KB, 144 views)

Last edited by mtb_frk; 08-20-2018 at 02:23 PM.
Old 08-20-2018, 02:18 PM
Registered (ab)User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtb_frk View Post
I got a couple more pictures and it looks no near as bad as the first pictures, I think.
Agreed. My 12-year-old carbon Cannondale has probably a dozen similar nicks on the downtube and drive-side chainstay, I just slathered some clear nail polish on them and continue riding the schidt out of it.

otoh, I agree with tuscanyswe: I would ride it if it were mine, but I'm not sure I'd buy a second-hand frame that sported those scars. Not because they look like bad scars, but just because...idunno, just because.
Old 08-20-2018, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
I would ride that with 100% confidence. That looks cosmetic and not even that bad.
Agree
Old 08-20-2018, 05:02 PM

Looks fine IMO
Old 08-20-2018, 05:59 PM
ZhugeLiang

that's not a CRACK! It's some spit that had hardened from previous rides, just clean it up with this and you are ready to go!

Old 08-20-2018, 06:18 PM

I may be a little too cautious but id never ride or purchase anything that had any damage that would even make me question the structural integrity of the item. Frame being the biggest determinant of whether something would fall apart under me. Just my 0.02 and i definitely would have it x-rayed and gone over by a pro before riding it.
Old 08-21-2018, 06:58 AM

I guess I should have made this topic a poll. Thanks everyone for your insight. Just one of many reasons I love this virtual place.
Old 08-21-2018, 07:25 AM

I have heard about a test you can do...hadn't been "lucky enough" to try it myself. Take a coin and tap the tube in the area of what you think is the crack. If it changes pitch, then there is a crack.

From the pics, it appears to be superficial and it could be OK now. Maybe someone has insight on whether it could develop into something worse. Sharp corners or edges are possible stress risers. The tube looks like it was scrapped by a pedal when on a rack with another bike. Not quite the sharp edges I would thing develop into a crack...that is just my opinion.
Old 08-21-2018, 07:29 AM

Yeah actually the guy sent me a video tapping on the frame and there is no difference in sound in the area. I agree it looks to me like a pedal scraped it.
Old 08-21-2018, 09:09 AM

See if forum member Mike Lopez or Nick Crumpton (nicrump) will respond. some of the carbon guru's.
Old 08-21-2018, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joev View Post
I have heard about a test you can do...hadn't been "lucky enough" to try it myself. Take a coin and tap the tube in the area of what you think is the crack. If it changes pitch, then there is a crack.
I had a Colnago C40 that showed some very slight roughness in the finish near the top of one of the seat stays. Tapping on that area sounded somewhat "duller" than on the rest of the bike.

I sold the frame, with the disclosure of that issue. I don't know whether it was me, or an insignificant issue, or a disaster waiting to happen...

Now my daily driver is a C50, and I regularly check the frame and fork for cracks and changes in integrity by tapping. It takes only a minute to do, while I'm wiping it down before or after a ride, and provides a little peace of mind...

That having been said, I'm still riding tires too big for the frame (Conti 25mm), which provide minimal clearance at seat tube, chain stays and fork bridge. I really need to move back to 23mm Contis so that there's less chance of gravel pickup scratching the frame...
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 08-21-2018, 07:04 PM

you cannot tell SQUAT from a pic... then I continued reading...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtb_frk View Post
Yeah actually the guy sent me a video tapping on the frame and there is no difference in sound in the area. I agree it looks to me like a pedal scraped it.
This can be helpful and tonal changes are a an indication of a problem.

Last edited by nicrump; 08-21-2018 at 07:06 PM.