Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-20-2018, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyglot View Post
Whoever told you this is either misinformed or lying. I import and have imported products from throughout the world and have never had a mixed shipment of products dutied at the highest element duty rate. Perhaps there might be some new rule by which a private individual is treated differently, but it is most assuredly not the case for businesses. Did you work through a broker or did you handle the documentation yourself?
You can believe whatever you want, but I used to have the dept of Homeland Security HTS codes table sitting on my desk, complete with their guidelines. Whether you ever got dinged for it is irrevelent, I was pointing out a consideration to help others.
Old 08-20-2018, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmrt View Post
I have searched a few threads and came up short. Hence, starting this thread.

Has anyone paid custom duty on bike goods when ordering from UK sites (Merlin etc) when the order has exceeded $800? I am looking to purchase a wheelset from Melrlin and would like to be informed on how much custom duty I need to pay. And if I need to pay custom duty will it be on the entire purchase price? Or would it be on the remainder that exceeds $800. For e.g, if I purchase something for $1800, will I pay duty on the entire $1800 or the difference -- $1000?

Thanks for the help. It is much appreciated.

There seems to be a lot of misunderstanding on what/how much duties are. I pulled some old paperwork, here are some duties:

complete bikes: 5.5%
frame: 3.9%
wheels: 10%
saddles: 8%
stem/bars, fd/rd, shifters,crankset, brakes, cassettes : duty free

frame:
Old 08-20-2018, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fignon's barber View Post
You can believe whatever you want, but I used to have the dept of Homeland Security HTS codes table sitting on my desk, complete with their guidelines. Whether you ever got dinged for it is irrevelent, I was pointing out a consideration to help others.
This is the relevant part of the HTS:

"(f) Commingling of Goods.
(i) Whenever goods subject to different rates of duty are so packed together or mingled that the quantity or value of each class of goods cannot be readily ascertained by customs officers (without physical segregation of the shipment or the contents of any entire package thereof), by one or more of the following means:
(A) sampling,
(B) verification of packing lists or other documents filed at the time of entry, or
(C) evidence showing performance of commercial settlement tests generally accepted in the trade and filed in such time and manner as may be prescribed by regulations of the Secretary of the Treasury,
the commingled goods shall be subject to the highest rate of duty applicable to any part thereof unless the consignee or his agent segregates the goods pursuant to subdivision (f)(ii) hereof.

(ii) Every segregation of goods made pursuant to subdivision (f) of this note shall be accomplished by the consignee or his agent at the risk and expense of the consignee within 30 days (unless the Secretary authorizes in writing a longer time) after the date of personal delivery or mailing, by such employee as the Secretary of the Treasury shall designate, of written notice to the consignee that the goods are commingled and that the quantity or value of each class of goods cannot be readily ascertained by customs officers. Every such segregation shall be accomplished under customs supervision, and the compensation and expenses of the supervising customs officers shall be reimbursed to the Government by the consignee under such regulations as the Secretary of the Treasury may prescribe.
(iii) The foregoing provisions of subdivision (f) of this note do not apply with respect to any part of a shipment if the consignee or his agent furnishes, in such time and manner as may be prescribed by regulations of the Secretary of the Treasury, satisfactory proof--
(A) that such part (1) is commercially negligible, (2) is not capable of segregation without excessive cost and (3) will not be segregated prior to its use in a manufacturing process or otherwise, and
(B) that the commingling was not intended to avoid the payment of lawful duties.
Any goods with respect to which such proof is furnished shall be considered for all customs purposes as a part of the goods, subject to the next lower rate of duty, with which they are commingled.
(iv) The foregoing provisions of subdivision (f) of this note do not apply with respect to any shipment if the consignee or his agent
shall furnish, in such time and manner as may be prescribed by regulations of the Secretary of the Treasury, satisfactory proof--
(A) that the value of the commingled goods is less than the aggregate value would be if the shipment were segregated;
(B) that the shipment is not capable of segregation without excessive cost and will not be segregated prior to its use in a manufacturing process or otherwise; and
(C) that the commingling was not intended to avoid the payment of lawful duties.
Any goods with respect to which such proof is furnished shall be considered for all customs purposes to be dutiable at the rate applicable to the material present in greater quantity than any other material.
(v) The provisions of subdivision (f) of this note shall apply only in cases where the tariff schedule does not expressly provide a particular tariff treatment for commingled goods."

So if you indicate the parts separately with their HTS code and make it readily obvious to custom officials that the various items are recognizable inside the shipment, you will then always pay the individual tariff rate, except when it can be argued that they are actually part of a bigger unit.
Old 06-27-2022, 02:58 PM

Has anyone been asked to submit a CBP form 5106 Importer Identity Form when purchasing from overseas? In particular, why would one request a section 1E CBP Number while the form already requires an SSN?

https://help.cbp.gov/s/article/Artic...language=en_US

Instagram
Old 06-27-2022, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fignon's barber View Post
There seems to be a lot of misunderstanding on what/how much duties are. I pulled some old paperwork, here are some duties:

complete bikes: 5.5%
frame: 3.9%
wheels: 10%
saddles: 8%
stem/bars, fd/rd, shifters,crankset, brakes, cassettes : duty free

frame:
so....groupset should be duty free?

Tags
cheapskates, race to the bottom