Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-20-2018, 05:40 AM

>>>with new grease

Do you use authentic campy white grease? I actually just found my container half full, from the 1980's. Last me till I am 10 ft under
Old 08-20-2018, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveandbarb1 View Post
>>>with new grease

Do you use authentic campy white grease? I actually just found my container half full, from the 1980's. Last me till I am 10 ft under
Not in South Louisiana. White lithium grease quickly gets saturated with humidity and bakes to hard, useless concrete.
Old 08-20-2018, 08:10 AM

There are quite a few, but here are a few to start that always impress me:
1) the Campagnolo "2006" hubs (silver oversize alloy axle) are incredibly designed, light, smooth durable, easy to service. It's no wonder that they command incredible-and growing-prices on ebay.
2) Campagnolo Record/Chorus Ergopower levers. My vote is for the earlier 9 speed levers with the pointy hoods and alloy brake blades...They are an ingenious design, function perfectly and combine great materials, design and workmanship. the one design "flaw" is the g-springs/carrier that will eventually wear, but these parts are replaceable and inexpensive. I think the 10 speed levers aren't far behind and share the same basic design, but the internals are slightly more complicated/lighter materials introduced. I love them but I do think the high point was slightly earlier.
3) turning back the clock a bit earlier, Maxi Car hubs are incredible pieces of design/execution. The bearing quality is incredible and they seem to last forever. The sealing system is the most effective that I have ever seen on a bike part and is comprised of an ingenious system of shaped washers that fit together forming a virtually impenetrable labyrinth. Phil Wood x4.
Old 08-20-2018, 01:25 PM
Glory bound

I’ve got no complaints about the Cane Creek headsets on my last few bikes, but Stronglight roller bearings headsets were better than anything else on the market when I was racing (and crashing regularly) during the 80’s.
This doesn’t exactly answer the OP’s question, since these didn’t need to be “worked on,” but other headsets of the time were practically disposables, replaced as often as chains or bar tape. At least that’s how I remember it.
Old 08-20-2018, 01:36 PM
Two wheels good

The most well made components I ever worked on... never needed to be worked on. Ringle Superbubba MTB front hub and Suntour XC9000 hubs. I put them through thousands of miles and they were underwater in streams many times and they just keep spinning smoothly. I'd still probably be using them if they weren't made somewhat obsolete by bigger wheels with fewer spokes and disc brakes.
Old 08-20-2018, 03:50 PM

Mavic 841 & ZAP rear derailleurs.

Phil Wood bottom brackets.

Campy SR 11 rear derailleur.
Old 08-20-2018, 07:53 PM
il Curmudgeoni

Bullseye hubs. I've had a lot of other hubs that were well made and gave me no problems but nothing else I've ever owned rolls as smooth as the Bullseyes.
Old 08-20-2018, 08:06 PM

This hearkens back to my bike shop days, but Profile BMX hubs are probably some of the most well built I've ever put my hands on
Old 08-21-2018, 03:45 AM
Strong Walker

Its hard to judge quality of build by just looking at one specimen, some parts may look nice and solid, but still be fabricated with randomized tolerances etc. Othery may look flimsy but may be dsigned with just the strength needed for the job.

Judging by durability and refusal to malfunction, i'll nominate the very unsexy Dura Ace 7400, which is close to indestructible.
Old 08-21-2018, 09:43 AM

Remembering that this is specific to parts I have worked on, I have to go with Dura Ace 7800 hubs. Simple, elegant and after adjustment, like buttah.

CaptStash....
Old 08-21-2018, 10:55 AM
IamEllis

From the wayback machine, I'd say the Mavic 305 headset, such a clever design, super clean and easy to maintain in an era of crappy headsets.

For modern parts, I'd say HED's Belgium rims, they start out so straight and round that the wheels practically build themselves, such a pleasure.
Old 08-21-2018, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr59 View Post
It’s a RGM. Made by the best whatmaker in the world, right here in the USA.
Let's change that to best watchmaker in the US.

Jeff
Old 08-21-2018, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlwdm View Post
Let's change that to best watchmaker in the US.

Jeff
Incorrect. When Patek has a watch they want restored, they send it to a guy who was the youngest to EVER heat their complications division. His name is Rolland Murphy, and he lives in Pa. and owns RGM!

That is not a title I have given him, it is a very accepted title the watchmaking community gave him. Who am I to argue.
Old 08-22-2018, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Wages View Post
From the wayback machine, I'd say the Mavic 305 headset, such a clever design, super clean and easy to maintain in an era of crappy headsets.

For modern parts, I'd say HED's Belgium rims, they start out so straight and round that the wheels practically build themselves, such a pleasure.
Great headsets. These were made by Stronglight and sent to Mavic who completed the fine polished finish and applied the graphics, etc. They're very similar to the Strong light X-12 except that they used traditional balls instead of roller bearings...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg x12.jpg (58.2 KB, 84 views)
Old 08-22-2018, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Another post from me, sorry but I just worked on a guys old Gitane, with older Suntour stuff on it...not the brands but the 'system'...friction shifters and 'banana cutter' brake housing, cup and ball BB...dreamy to use, way easy to set up...works...
A billion years ago raced on Suntour Superbe. Like a Duracell battery...….