Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-20-2018, 10:13 AM

Giro Code Techlace Anyone? (v. VR90, Shimano XC9, etc.)

I need some new XC shoes. My current pair are Mavic Fury's that are almost 9 yrs old at this point.

Has anyone tried the Code Techlace? If so, thoughts?

Alternatively, I'm also interested in the Giro VR90, Shimano XC9 (or XC901... when does that come out?), Sidi Dragon 4, Specialized S-Works XC 6. I tried on the VR90, Dragon 4, and S-Works this weekend at the LBS. VR90 seemed a little tight in the toe box, but otherwise, fit well. I like the replaceable rubber on the Sidi's, but not a fan of the shiny upper. S-Works was the most spacious in the toe box, but the lower of the two BOA dials was uncomfortable any time I flexed my foot.

<rant>Why can't sizing across brands be more consistent? I fit a 43.5 for Giro (could maybe fit a 43, but didn't have it in stock), 43 for Sidi, and 42.5 for Spec... Argh...</rant>

Forum input appreciated. Thanks!
Old 08-20-2018, 11:06 AM

Use Competitive Cyclist - Order everything you want at once - free 2nd day ship - and as long as you don't mount cleats you get 100% fully refunded, shipping free both ways, just as a gearhead. If you mount cleats, you can return for in store credit.
Old 08-20-2018, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikej View Post
Use Competitive Cyclist - Order everything you want at once - free 2nd day ship - and as long as you don't mount cleats you get 100% fully refunded, shipping free both ways, just as a gearhead. If you mount cleats, you can return for in store credit.
Technically, return shipping is not free, but you can get free return shipping if you chat with someone and ask for it. But yeah... thumbs up for Backcountry and CC... I've ordered from them a bunch in the past.
Old 08-20-2018, 11:10 AM

VR90s start out a little tight in the toebox, but open up with wear, especially after you get them wet a couple of times. I'm really happy with mine.
Old 08-20-2018, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbadge View Post
VR90s start out a little tight in the toebox, but open up with wear, especially after you get them wet a couple of times. I'm really happy with mine.
Good to know. They're cheaper than the rest, so that's a +1 for the VR90s.
Old 08-20-2018, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeladragon View Post
Technically, return shipping is not free, but you can get free return shipping if you chat with someone and ask for it. But yeah... thumbs up for Backcountry and CC... I've ordered from them a bunch in the past.
No, it is - just ask a gearhead, they will email you a free shipping label -
Old 08-20-2018, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbadge View Post
Love my VR90s too. After a few wears it is really easy to dial in just the correct degree of tightness with the laces.
Old 08-20-2018, 12:57 PM

The Techlaces are really narrow. My wife loves hers but I tried on a pair and it was laughably narrow. Like I couldn't even get my foot in.
Old 08-20-2018, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FR8CAR View Post
Love my VR90s too. After a few wears it is really easy to dial in just the correct degree of tightness with the laces.
I should mention I do have narrow feet.
Old 08-20-2018, 04:51 PM

I have Lake cx 331. My foot is on the narrow side and they fit fine.
I like the fact they have a carbon sole, and there is a grippy area under the arch which allows riding on top of the pedal if you can’t or don’t want to click in. Giro VR also runs on the narrow side. I love the fit on the Giro road shoe, but the VR’s in the same size are a bit shorter.
Old 08-20-2018, 05:08 PM
but not really

I am a giro shoe fan. The vr90 are narrower than the original code and the terradura. Personally, I like the terradura the best except for pure xc or cx type riding. I find the laces to be annoying and only bought the vr90 because I found them for a great price.

Mike's bikes has the terradura for super sale right now with free shipping. If you're doing any hike a bike, the terradura is the way to go. Plenty stiff compared to the fury but great tread and durability compared to the vr90.
Old 08-20-2018, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old fat man View Post
I am a giro shoe fan. The vr90 are narrower than the original code and the terradura. Personally, I like the terradura the best except for pure xc or cx type riding. I find the laces to be annoying and only bought the vr90 because I found them for a great price.

Mike's bikes has the terradura for super sale right now with free shipping. If you're doing any hike a bike, the terradura is the way to go. Plenty stiff compared to the fury but great tread and durability compared to the vr90.
I already have the Terraduro. But I bought them in a size up so I can fit a wool sock underneath when temps are cooler. Leaning towards the VR90 at the moment, mainly because they're the cheapest.
Old 08-21-2018, 08:24 AM

I've been using VR90s exclusively for the past few years and really really like them. The only down fall for me has been durability; the rubber toe cap has cracked and peeled on all the pairs I have had.

I did just pick up a pair of the Code TechLace kicks. I only have a few rides on them so far but do enjoy. The fit is almost identical to the VR90. I do think the heel cup is looser on the TechLace though. They sure go on faster with the Velcro and BOA.

I picked up a pair of Privateers too in a half size bigger for winter use (felt insole and thicker socks) and man are those things clunky compared to the higher end shoes.
Old 08-21-2018, 09:51 AM

I too am a Giro lover. I was just fondling those Techlace shoes this past weekend in a shop and while they look cool, the lacing/Velco seemed pointless.

The sales person said cross riders liked them because you could customize the lace colours and Velcro tabs