Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-19-2021, 03:02 PM

Shimano 12 chain with axs

Since it's now known that shimano 12 speed road bikes will use the xt/xtr chain, I got an XT chain to try with my mostly sram axs drivetrain. The chain worked reasonably well, but occasionally hung up on shifts in 13-14-15 range. A micro adjustment only switched the problem from up shifts to down shifts on my 10-33 axs cassette.

I've previously used axs chains on Campy 12 cassettes and had no problems.

I've used axs chains with Campy 12 and shimano grx 11 speed cranks with no problems.

For those not familiar with the axs chain, it's the thinnest in width and has larger rollers that are .006 inch larger in diameter than standard chains that have a maximum .306 inch diameter.
Old 09-19-2021, 03:06 PM

Nice thing about AXS chains (flat top) is price, 35 for Force, and 30 for Rival. Plus with bit searching they tend to be available
Old 09-19-2021, 03:58 PM

In my limited 12 speed research, the consensus seems that the cassette largely dictates which chain will be best match, and the rest of the system(derailleurs, chainrings) are less fussy about what they're moving. So I bet there will be a lot of AXS derailleur and shift lever setups running a Shimano 12 cassette, crankset and chain. In my eyes you're kind of getting the best bang for your dollar...

Rival AXS levers and disc calipers for $400, $400 for F&R Rival AXS derailleurs, $150 Ultegra R8100 Cassette and chain and you're up and running with a wireless 12 speed setup on your existing wheel set and crankset for under $1000.
Old 09-19-2021, 09:16 PM
Dadwatts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upcountry View Post
In my limited 12 speed research, the consensus seems that the cassette largely dictates which chain will be best match, and the rest of the system(derailleurs, chainrings) are less fussy about what they're moving. So I bet there will be a lot of AXS derailleur and shift lever setups running a Shimano 12 cassette, crankset and chain. In my eyes you're kind of getting the best bang for your dollar...

Rival AXS levers and disc calipers for $400, $400 for F&R Rival AXS derailleurs, $150 Ultegra R8100 Cassette and chain and you're up and running with a wireless 12 speed setup on your existing wheel set and crankset for under $1000.
This is intriguing for sure.