Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-19-2021, 08:48 AM

Shimano XT Pedal Creaking Issue

Has anyone had issues with these pedals creaking and feeling squishy? I have the XC version (smaller ones) and the left pedal first developed a creak but now feels almost squishy when pedaling. I've tried dropping some chain lube on the internals and even sprayed some dry lubricant on it with no such luck.
Old 09-19-2021, 10:40 AM

Check you cleats. Every time my SPD pedals started to creak, new cleats were the answer to quiet pedaling.
Old 09-19-2021, 11:53 AM

Shoe?

Maybe a cracked sole? Could be why it feels soft?
Old 09-19-2021, 12:23 PM

Never had my XT SPDs feel “squishy,” but I had lots of creaks. After much frustration, I traced the creaks to the cleat-pedal interface. I now apply Boeshield to the cleat-pedal mating surfaces every few rides. No more creaks!

Greg
Old 09-19-2021, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregL View Post
Never had my XT SPDs feel “squishy,” but I had lots of creaks. After much frustration, I traced the creaks to the cleat-pedal interface. I now apply Boeshield to the cleat-pedal mating surfaces every few rides. No more creaks!

Greg
Me too
Old 09-19-2021, 01:19 PM

I've broken the bridge of material between the slots in the sole a couple of times, and was the cause of much squishiness before the cleat finally pulled free from the sole.

When using mtb pedals/shoes on road rides, squeeks occasionally develop with some shoes. I've had to pull over and collect a couple of large, waxy-looking leaves which I then managed to position between pedal and shoe as I clipped in. This effectively lubricated the shoe/cleat to pedal interface for the ride duration.

I think that the exact formulation of the shoe tread material is a major factor here (not that the metal-to-metal bits can't also cause squeeking, especially when the face of the tread has worn down sufficiently to cause slop movement).
Old 09-19-2021, 03:41 PM

A quick go/no go for SPD pedal creaking while out riding is to squirt some water on the pedals. If the creaking goes away for a few minutes, it's an interface issue that is solved with some kind of spray-on lube or wax. My wife makes soap and I have an old bar that I rub on my cleats about once a week. I live in the desert, I'd do it more often if I rode in the wet. I'd rather leave some shavings of an all-natural soap on the trail than oil.
Old 09-19-2021, 08:51 PM

Also make sure the cleats are aligned/centered when you pedal. That tends to fix most of my creaking problems (so does a little pre ride spray with some WD-40).
Old 09-19-2021, 09:21 PM
Dadwatts

Does the pedal body jiggle up and and down easily? Your bearings might be dry.

I recently re-greased my pedals using this reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVmSrsnVUGI
Old 09-20-2021, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewskey View Post
Does the pedal body jiggle up and and down easily? Your bearings might be dry.

I recently re-greased my pedals using this reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVmSrsnVUGI
+1

Needs to be greased.
Lube will be temporary fix only.

Don't ignore it when it develops lateral play.
Old 09-20-2021, 07:36 AM

Thanks everyone, great info. I'll check for play in the pedal body first and then swap out to new cleats if that isn't the issue.