Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-19-2021, 07:08 AM

OT: Indoor rowing machines

When I had a Planet Fitness (Sh-tness?) membership they had a rowing machine I used and then they ditched it because it wasn't part of their master plan.

I used to love it and was thinking about getting one for the basement for use when I'm not riding.

Figuring I'd want to start with a less expensive machine to see how it goes before making a large investment.

Anyone have experience/advice?

thanks
Old 09-19-2021, 08:26 AM

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=272017
Old 09-19-2021, 08:50 AM

Concept 2 RowErg (formerly called Model D) is where its at. Have one and love it. It is the choice of many rowing reams and Crossfit gyms for a reason.
Old 09-19-2021, 10:48 AM

What FreeFour said. There's a reason that college and Olympic teams train on them - C2 is the NPU. Around $900-1000 USD, I think. Last I heard their pandemic backlog had (mostly) cleared.

Many gyms have them as well, but probably more for durability, which is also a plus, than for other reasons. My pre-covid gym had a couple.

The forum on their site is full of knowledgeable and helpful people.
Old 09-21-2021, 02:05 PM

Agree on grabbing a concept 2...

I picked up a Concept 2 Model D, been using for a little over a month, its been amazing. They way i looked at it, spending the money on the Concept 2 was well worth it... they're expensive used, but i figured if i don't like it after 6 months, i can basically sell it quickly for what i bought it for.

It took me a few weeks to find one, they usually were sold within hours of being posted on Craigslist or on FB marketplace.

But, after speaking to quite a few folks, its the way to go... last forever, no real maintenance and its an amazing workout. I just finished a quick 30 during lunch and feels great!
Old 09-21-2021, 02:14 PM

We love the rhythmic water sounds in WaterRower, kind of helps (to us) they are made 7 miles from my house so keeping local people employed. Great company.
Old 09-21-2021, 02:15 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Unless you live in a log cabin and absolutely have to have the rower match the decor, there's zero doubt - C2 rower. For the people out there who are more concerned about how things look, there's the WaterRower, for everyone else get the Concept 2 - it's a better machine.

Edit / comment: It looks like S&B1 and I were typing at the same time. My recommendation was not meant to be in response to that post - I wrote it not knowing that that would be right above my post.

Last edited by Louis; 09-21-2021 at 02:23 PM.
Old 09-21-2021, 07:47 PM

I love my concept2. It’s worth the money. And unlike cycling after you buy it there are no accessories needed. You don’t upgrade it. You don’t need a gravel version. It’s a one time purchase that just works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-21-2021, 07:55 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Another thing about rowing: compared to cycling it's much easier on your knees.

If I'm doing mostly cycling, and riding a lot, I'm fighting knee issues quite often. If it's winter and I'm mostly using the rower I have essentially no knee problems. Not sure if it's purely due to time (I never row for as long as I ride) but whatever it is, no knee problems, and overall a more complete workout.

One thing riding does better is that I burn a lot more calories cycling than I can on the erg. (and since it's outside it's more fun the rowing)
Old 09-21-2021, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfarton View Post
I love my concept2. It’s worth the money. And unlike cycling after you buy it there are no accessories needed. You don’t upgrade it. You don’t need a gravel version. It’s a one time purchase that just works.
Agree! And it just keeps working with minimal/no maintenance
Old 09-24-2021, 07:28 PM

Another vote for the Concept2. We bought one last year and it’s great. I also rowed in school and a bit in college and that’s what we had then (20+ years ago now).

Check used prices. Many can be updated to the latest “computer” and refurb parts are readily available. That said, used prices were super high last year, no idea of they’ve returned to sanity yet.

The only downside is it’s one of the longer rowers. But, the latest model does have a QR pin on the middle so can be split for storage. We don’t bother - we already had two trainers in the basement, another piece of gear wasn’t going to ruin the decor.
Old 09-24-2021, 07:31 PM

Sounds like Concept2 is the way to go. I'll probably just buy one new - if it didn't work out it sounds like it would be easy to resell.
Old 09-24-2021, 07:34 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

You won't regret it.

1) It's a great workout in general.

2) It's a great winter workout for anyone who doesn't feel like slogging through wet, slushy roads or freezing wind on the bike.
Old 09-24-2021, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdeth1313 View Post
Sounds like Concept2 is the way to go. I'll probably just buy one new - if it didn't work out it sounds like it would be easy to resell.

That was my train of thought. I am not selling mine though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-24-2021, 07:43 PM

See if there are Crash B competitions near you. Oftentimes as a fundraiser they’ll sell one-day-used Concept2 at 15% off list if you’re willing to pick it up as the event ends. I’m near DC and that’s how I got mine a few years ago.
Not sure how common/widespread those events are.