Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-19-2021, 03:56 PM

How'd you get the old tube out without taking out the nail that was going through it?

Old 09-19-2021, 04:10 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
How'd you get the old tube out without taking out the nail that was going through it?
Not the OP but he had this newfangled technology- tubeless

Last edited by sokyroadie; 09-19-2021 at 04:30 PM.
Old 09-19-2021, 04:43 PM

Tubeless

Wheel was set up tubeless. I must have peeled the side that was away from the nail. Checked the tire, but I did not feel or check the rim.
It was wet and cold. Mistakes were made. But I got lucky and also the tube was bomber! Rode it about 2.5 hours that way-

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post

Old 09-19-2021, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H. View Post
Wheel was set up tubeless. I must have peeled the side that was away from the nail. Checked the tire, but I did not feel or check the rim.
It was wet and cold. Mistakes were made. But I got lucky and also the tube was bomber! Rode it about 2.5 hours that way-
2.5 hours is not too shabby.
Old 09-19-2021, 08:40 PM

Except I heard on another forum that once you use that tube in a certain tire size you cannot put it into another tire of any other size. Regardless, $35 for a tube is insane, flats or no flats.
Old 09-19-2021, 09:02 PM

Similar experience, I got a side gash maybe a under an inch long MTBing. Someone loan me a regular tube which flat in about a 1/2 mile. I replaced it with my tubolite and had no issue for the next couple of hours of MTBing. These thing work.
Old 09-19-2021, 11:35 PM

I have these tubes in my race wheels, they are very light (save 100-150g per wheelset) and hold up well. Have had them in race wheels for the last year or so, a few flats and one pinch flat over that timeā€¦ but were all instances that a regular tube would have also flatted.
Old 09-20-2021, 05:47 AM
That guy..

I was intrigued. Until I priced out two for $80+shipping.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
Old 09-20-2021, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mktng View Post
I was intrigued. Until I priced out two for $80+shipping.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
That's the same reason I can't bring myself to accept those tubes, it's simply far too much money, but I suspect in about 5 years they should drop in price.
Old 03-10-2022, 10:28 AM

Apologies for digging up old thread but was about to pull the trigger on some Tubolito after having difficult time finding my normal "thornless" tubes.

Everybody still happy with the performance of their Tubolito's ?

How have they held up over time ?

Thanks guys /gals
Old 03-10-2022, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrider View Post
Apologies for digging up old thread but was about to pull the trigger on some Tubolito after having difficult time finding my normal "thornless" tubes.
Just wanted to say that I appreciate you searching and trying to continue the discussion in this thread versus starting a new one. It makes future searches easier with fewer threads to open.
Old 03-10-2022, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowpoke View Post
Just wanted to say that I appreciate you searching and trying to continue the discussion in this thread versus starting a new one. It makes future searches easier with fewer threads to open.
I'm here for the people..........cheers

Old 03-10-2022, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrider View Post

Everybody still happy with the performance of their Tubolito's ?

How have they held up over time ?

Thanks guys /gals
I am still happy with Tubolitos, but they are not without issue/shortcoming.

The good.

- Super light.
- They are very, very tough. I've put about 12,000km on them and only two genuine flats. One race I competed in had been 'tacked' by an angry local - one of my tires had a tack in it that had failed to pierce the tube (anyone else who had been tacked had got an instant flat).

The bad

- They are difficult to reinstall after being inflated because they become 'baggy'. You don't need to do this often, but say if you wear out a tire, you'll need to reinstall them. I have pinched one of them in this process.
- They're expensive.
- Rolling resistance is similar to a light butyl tube (but better than a standard butyl tube). Schwalbe Aerothan (similar material) seem to get the rolling resistance lower than Tubolito and to a much closer RR level when compared against Latex, so I'd like to try these (https://www.aero-coach.co.uk/inner-t...ing-resistance)

Conclusion: On the whole I do think they are worth the money, and I would buy again, but they are not cheap so it hurts when you do get an inevitable flat. I am a lightweight rider and a climber so I think the price is worth being able to drop 100g from my rims. Others who perhaps have a bit of extra pudding around the waistline (or simply aren't chasing the real (and psychological) gains that I am) may not feel the same way and I can understand that.
Old 03-10-2022, 05:55 PM
Deconditioned!

I have tubos. I cannot say how robust they are as I don't really get many flats to begin with (jinx)...so I cannot comment on them being more robust.

I don't find them hard to install. Just blow them up a bit and they install just fine. Normal care on install...same as with a regular tube.

Ya. Pricey.
Old 03-10-2022, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavi View Post
I have tubos. I cannot say how robust they are as I don't really get many flats to begin with (jinx)...so I cannot comment on them being more robust.

I don't find them hard to install. Just blow them up a bit and they install just fine. Normal care on install...same as with a regular tube.

Ya. Pricey.
Yeah initial install was fine, it was just re-install I've been caught out. When the tube deflates it doesn't return to it's original size like a butyl tube, leaving a lot of tube that just flaps around.

You can inflate the tube to avoid this, but that makes tyre install harder (impossible on some tyre/rim combos) than with a deflated tube.

Not a reason not to buy them, just something to watch out for imo. I've done a handful of reinstalls and only one pinch when installing, for what its worth.