Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-17-2021, 10:30 AM

OT: What car fits the bill?

Considering unloading my '13 Outback with 85k miles in order to put money toward a larger vehicle that better suits my needs, but I'm at odds with what vehicle fits the bill. Figure this might be just the kind of Friday exercise y'all might enjoy, so posting here... (background: I do private event bartending almost every weekend, need to transport 1-2 folding bars, 1-2 70 quart coolers, 1-2 150 quart coolers, sundry other sodas, totes with equipment, and a hand truck. For larger gigs I'll rent a trailer to load all this into and pull with my outback, but for instance I have a party that's insisting on having an 400 lbs of ice, which coupled with the rest of the equipment and trailer weight gets me very close, if not exceeding, what the outback can tow. additionally, I don't feel comfortable towing with the outback at highway speeds, but will occasionally have work outside of my local area)

Needs are fairly simple -- vehicle needs to be reliable, able to tow north of 3500 lbs should the need ever arise, needs to have good road manners while towing, and exceed the seat down cargo volume of my outback behind the rear/middle seats, depending on if said vehicle has a third row. (Outback volume with seats down appears to be 71.3ft^3.)

Wants -- I'd love it to be 4wd and actually capable of doing some beach driving in the summer when we go to cape cod, I wouldn't mind a third row option even if it's seldom in use.

There's two ways to play the game as I see it -- buy something that fits the bill as a third car, which would necessitate keeping the price tag under let's say $5000, or if I sell the outback privately and buy this as a primary second vehicle, keeping the price under $20k. A history of reliability would be necessary on a higher mileage third car that could fit the third car budget.. The number of 225k mile sequoias i see that are being sold for more than $5k is nuts, but I'd prefer one under 200k if I'm sinking that much into it. (and yes, I totally realize now is not the time to try and buy a used car...)

Feel like I'm looking for a unicorn, for sure. But really curious as to your input. A piece of me says a pickup with a cap would check off most boxes, but then if I'm not utilizing a trailer, the added height to hoist hundreds of pounds of ice isn't going to be ideal. As it stands with the outback, I position a hand truck on the bumper and slide the coolers down onto it/up into it.

Curious what you guys come up with that i may not have thought of.
Old 09-17-2021, 11:20 AM
Back At It!

Hmm, that's a tough one... my go-to would be a used 4Runner with the third row, but prices are crazy on those as well (either high milage or as a primary car).

For a third car, I wonder what you can find in the Isuzo Rodeo variety? These were Honda Passports rebadged as an Isuzu, so reliability should be great (depending on maintenance, of course)...

For newer, how about a Subaru Ascent? I have a friend that absolutely LOVES theirs... not sure what prices are running on those since ALL used cars seem to be crazy right now...

Good luck, this should be interesting to follow!
Old 09-17-2021, 11:23 AM
SageOfMilwaukee

Ford Maverick seems like a reasonable choice if you can find one in your area and with the trim level that fits your budget.

https://www.ford.com/trucks/maverick/
Old 09-17-2021, 11:26 AM

Honda Ridgeline
Old 09-17-2021, 11:31 AM

If you don't drive a lot of miles per year so gas mileage isn't too important your best value might be one of the GMC/Chevy suvs like Suburbans, etc. I have a pal who is a used car dealer and he usually drives versions of these with 150,000-200,000 miles. Here in So-Cal these look almost new after his detail shop gets done with them. When they need repairs parts and labor are much cheaper than any imports that I know about. Many on the used market already having good towing packages and hitches.
Old 09-17-2021, 11:43 AM
DELETE ACCNT

That amount of cargo, and the option of carrying 7 people, and beach driving,and budget
it narrows it down.

A 4wd minivan, van or big suv.

Nissan Armada would fit. Great motor and space, and runs a lot less than the Sequoia.

I would look at Toyota Sienna awd's, Ford E-van w 4wd are cheap and popular.
Old 09-17-2021, 11:47 AM

I drive a 13 outback with about the same miles. Awesome car and I don't see how you can exceed the tow limit of 3000 pounds even with that much ice.
option 1 (what I would do): buy a NEW high quality lightweight enclosed trailer and learn to tow. Mobile bar inside. Write it off. I would avoid taxes/maintenance/hassle of an additional vehicle. So useful. If you REALLY can't make it happen OCCASIONALLY rent a box truck or van for those times.
option2: trade in your outback for a lightly used tacoma or 4runner or suburban (all will be well north of $20k) and still tow the trailer because they don't hold that much more. You are going to have to do a lot of bartending to cover the depreciation and costs on the higher priced vehicle. Make sure it's worth it. Car prices are very high right now. BAD TIMING.
option3: Sell outback and get a full size truck or van. That's really if you WANT a truck and willing to drive it daily.
Look carefully at the costs of an additional vehicle.
I REALLY want a sprinter van or full size truck since I camp out of my car 2-3 months a year. For the expense that would entail, I camp in a tent about half the time, the other half get a room or rental.
Old 09-17-2021, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasadena View Post
I would look at Toyota Sienna awd's, Ford E-van w 4wd are cheap and popular.
Where can I find one cheap? Used 4wd vans are very expensive. In my opinion due to limited options and high demand.
Old 09-17-2021, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh_on_the_cape View Post
I drive a 13 outback with about the same miles. Awesome car and I don't see how you can exceed the tow limit of 3000 pounds even with that much ice.
option 1 (what I would do): buy a NEW high quality lightweight enclosed trailer and learn to tow. Mobile bar inside. Write it off. I would avoid taxes/maintenance/hassle of an additional vehicle. So useful. If you REALLY can't make it happen OCCASIONALLY rent a box truck or van for those times.
option2: trade in your outback for a lightly used tacoma or 4runner or suburban (all will be well north of $20k) and still tow the trailer because they don't hold that much more. You are going to have to do a lot of bartending to cover the depreciation and costs on the higher priced vehicle. Make sure it's worth it. Car prices are very high right now. BAD TIMING.
option3: Sell outback and get a full size truck or van. That's really if you WANT a truck and willing to drive it daily.
Look carefully at the costs of an additional vehicle.
I REALLY want a sprinter van or full size truck since I camp out of my car 2-3 months a year. For the expense that would entail, I camp in a tent about half the time, the other half get a room or rental.

Thanks JH. Yeah, the trailer I rent from the local uhaul is only giving me about 1650-1800lbs inside. So figure I'm about 450lbs of ice and coolers, another 120lbs for the bars, another 100lbs for equipment for two bartenders, another 100lbs for ingredient coolers, and then whatever I end up if I'm buying the alcohol, or a keg (160lbs each), or anything for the client. (I buy, they reimburse). So while it's not quite there, my sluggish car feels underpowered to pull it long term.

That said, you're right, most situations aren't finding me at the limit and if my wife were more amicable about leaving a trailer in the backyard and I felt more comfortable with the road manners of the outback and the trailer, that could be the ticket. Certainly makes good on the money side of things.

Sadly I don't think there's any solid, do all answer here. Even buying a trailer I'd want to upgrade the towing vehicle at some point. With luck business will continue to grow and I'll be booking larger and larger parties, but most of my events just need ever so much more room. As it stands, i'm putting the hand truck in the front seat of the outback (draped over the headrest) in order to fit it in, which is just a PITA.. A cargo van for a third car would alleviate both renting a trailer and worrying about towing it -- just starting to do the research to see how the business owning it and not using it for personal use works out with the IRS...
Old 09-17-2021, 12:20 PM

Miata, aka the Campy Zonda of the car world.
Old 09-17-2021, 12:24 PM
Administrator

The car market in general right now is stupid, though not quite as stupid as the real estate market, but it's competing strongly.

Good luck finding a good condition used van for any type of bargain. the #vanlife people have killed those deals and everyone selling a clapped out econoline with 350k on it and rust hole ventilation thinks it's worth a fortune.

here in the northeast, any vehicle with 200k+ on the clock, unless the owner took meticulous care of it will have major rust issues. think brake lines, exhaust components, suspension components. fuel lines. stuff that will make the vehicle unreliable and unsafe.

before i ultimately bought my truck, i evaluated a bunch of options and just gave up frankly on the very used truck and van.

I think your best bet is sell the outback and buy another good condition sienna or odyssey. upgrade the rear suspension (lots of kits out there, minivan guys love to tow stuff...) put in a big trans cooler and call it a day. you'll have a reliable daily driver that fits a lot of stuff and a solid tow vehicle.
Old 09-17-2021, 01:53 PM

If the idea of that job is to put money in your pocket after expenses....be careful. Otherwise you will work your butt off just to pay and cover your new expenses (depreciation expenses are real expenses) you occur. Kinda like these mower guys I see in my neighborhood with new $60,000 trucks, and another $50,000 in trailer and equipment. They are working to pay for the truck and equipment they use. Including their wages, I bet the guys working for them for $15/hour are making a good bit more money than they are.

You may have to ask yourself if this is a real business that can be profitable after expenses, insurance, payroll (gig quarterly) overhead, and value of your time. Best wishes!

Last edited by Ralph; 09-17-2021 at 02:01 PM.
Old 09-17-2021, 02:05 PM
The B!

Sounds like a trailer is what youre after to me... i hauled a utility trailer and a sailboat around with my audi allroad for a few years, it was awesome. To the point i gave my F250 to my father - just had no use for it anymore, once i figured out a trailer and my car could easily meet all my needs and be funner and more fuel efficient.

If whatever trailer youve been using isnt big enough, get a bigger trailer, or buy a flatbed trailer and build to suit. Then youre not compromising on the car
Old 09-17-2021, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nooch View Post
Considering unloading my '13 Outback with 85k miles in order to put money toward a larger vehicle that better suits my needs, but I'm at odds with what vehicle fits the bill.
There's only one correct answer....

Quote:
Needs are fairly simple ..... able to tow north of 3500 lbs should the need ever arise
Quote:
Maximum Towing Capacity 3500 lbs.
Quote:
needs to.... exceed the seat down cargo volume of my outback behind the rear/middle seats (Outback volume with seats down appears to be 71.3ft^3.)
Quote:
Maximum Cargo Capacity 93.5 cu.ft.
Quote:
I'd love it to be 4wd and actually capable of doing some beach driving in the summer when we go to cape cod
Quote:
AWD 4dr SUV
Quote:
buy something that fits the bill as a third car, which would necessitate keeping the price tag under let's say $5000
Quote:
List Price Estimate $2,139 - $4,181
And the answer is:

https://www.edmunds.com/pontiac/azte...sumer-reviews/
Old 09-17-2021, 02:41 PM

Nothing beats a van. Used ones typically sell for peanuts, although during these covid times they might be higher. Still a bargain for what you get. I put 300K miles on mine before letting it go. I still miss it, and in about a year may get a new one. I don't favor owning two cars, just buy one and use the hell out of it. That's about the only way you will realize the value you put in it.