Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-21-2021, 01:05 PM

Selling here or on eBay.

So like many of you I do a fair bit of horse trading in the classifieds here and on eBay. This year I have had no luck moving things here. I try to give back deals to the forum but I have had multiple frames and bikes with not a wisp of interest here. But on eBay I have been selling like crazy for way over what I would be happy getting. What gives?

I'm not complaining. I have been making a killing on eBay even with the fees, I just wonder if anyone else has had similar experiences or thoughts?
Old 07-21-2021, 01:14 PM
Administrator

ebay is just a wider net with a much much bigger audience.

chances are any serious cyclist around the globe has at least heard of ebay, maybe 1% have heard of the paceline forum.
Old 07-21-2021, 01:15 PM
SageOfMilwaukee

eBay has a far bigger audience for one. Second, I usually reserve more niche brands and items for this forum vs. eBay name brands.
Old 07-21-2021, 01:33 PM

I just sold my Rigormootis 26er on ebay after listing it here for about a week. Some kicking of the tires here but I thought it would be a tough sell on the forum. Sold it in less than 24 hours on ebay. Probably should have listed it for more money but glad to have sold it. Ebay simply gets more traffic, but I do believe folks here are looking for a deal they may not get elsewhere.
Old 07-21-2021, 01:59 PM
Older Than You

I generally sell bikes at the LBS where I work. I had my 2016 Diverge on sale less than a week and sold it for more than I paid for it. Definitely a sellers market right now.
Old 07-21-2021, 02:26 PM

I think the crowd here is much more selective, not many people just trying to cobble together a commuter or n=1 type bicycle. If it's not from a higher end group in pristine condition, 10-11-12 speed, disc brake, steel-is-real (or Ti) or somehow has a cool retro-history it's not likely to move here. Many of us have boxes of old parts and stuff and too many bikes , and one eroica-type rig is usually enough except for those with large dedicated bike space and over-indulgent partners.

The bay is a quagmire, not usually worth the fees or the hassle, but it's a way to keep stuff out of the landfill, my main consideration for my large inventory of old parts perceived as junk by most people with disposable incomes.

Most of my "cool" retro-type stuff that has "value" is going on the Bay because of too much patina for the highbrows here. The other stuff gets donated, but the several bike coops I've contacted for donations are rather selective and short on imagination as to how to build something cool from old parts IMHO. Kids these days... Donated parts get packaged in ziploc bags with complete descriptions of sizes, threading etc included on post-it notes and they get a better reception from the volunteer-hipster-of-the-day at the door. Not everyone can identify a triple vs double BB spindle so the packaging makes it easier to accept.
Old 07-21-2021, 02:42 PM

About to head out on vacation but when I get back I'm going to bite the bullet, set up a new bank account and link it to eBay. Have some more parts and the Anderson stainless frameset to sell, and they haven't moved here.

I agree that I make more on eBay even including fees, no question.
Old 07-21-2021, 03:02 PM
Two wheels good

All nice 56-57cm Titanium disc brake bikes should first be PM'd to me before selling either place.
Old 07-21-2021, 05:57 PM

Pandemic may have contributed. People on the forum have been buying and selling for some time so have historical prices, etc. in mind. People on Ebay include many who just got back into cycling, may have a limited understanding of historical values and are willing to pay up. imo.
Old 07-22-2021, 03:20 PM

Most the reasons everyone has said, plus the rules for new member like myself. I understand the reason behind it. I have been using ebay for years with A+ rating.
Old 07-22-2021, 04:32 PM

I like paceline for the humanity of it. I like interacting with other like minded people in what is probably the most trustworthy buy/sell site around. ebay fine if you just want to get rid of something in 7 days but buyers are unreliable and its userbase is cheap which leads to disagreements.
Old 07-22-2021, 05:38 PM

I agree, Paceline provides a classified for like minded member's who are cyclists, and not horse traders out to make a money...or a killing. For those, ebay seems better suited.
Old 07-22-2021, 05:53 PM

I have a SS MTB that I haven't been able to sell (it's on CL, OfferUp and in the classifieds here), but I'm a bit reluctant to sell a whole bike on eBay again.

I sold a very nice handmade steel Bontrager Road Lite on ebay once and the knucklehead that "bought it" asked if he could "test ride" (after he won the bid of course). He wasn't a cyclist but wanted to get a bike, so I gave him the opportunity to test ride it (mistake). While he checking it out he got a text from a buddy that told him he should get a carbon bike and backed out. I eventually sold it for what I was asking on CL, but that eBay experience was a major pain. Lots of lessons learned from that.
Old 07-23-2021, 07:56 AM

I usually offer items here at a lower price, give it a few days, and if not sold then it goes to ebay. I've never had anything go unsold on ebay. Lately, it seems here that steel frames don't sell unless heavily discounted.
Old 07-23-2021, 12:05 PM

eBay is not what it used to be, and it's mostly just vendors, even if you ignore all other aspects of it. I stop buying and selling on it a few years back.