Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-15-2021, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by froze View Post
Oh, that one, you left the Cafelat off on your post and this is what is found: https://cafexapp.com/ They're are several of these Robot Barista's on the market and they are exceedingly expensive.

That was good for a laugh, thanks! LOL!!
Yes I looked it up after your post and had a good laugh myself. That one is definitely above my tax bracket. I wonder if the Robot Barista could make espresso in the Robot Barista? I did order the Robot Hands...

Last edited by Ken C; 09-15-2021 at 10:08 PM.
Old 09-16-2021, 10:46 PM

1zpresso JX-PRO arrived.

Really impressed with the quality. The Robot does not get here until Sat so I used it for pour over. Grind uniformity is excellent. Also the effort to grind 18 grams of coffee for a pour over using 300 grams of water was surprisingly easy. Took 25 seconds at grind setting 3.7.0. Even my wife who only drinks cold brew coffee with vanilla almond milk remarked how good the coffee was that I made. This may be the perfect travel grinder.

Jkbrwn - what setting is your baseline setting when starting with new beans for espresso at 17 grams in the Robot?
Old 09-17-2021, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken C View Post
Really impressed with the quality. The Robot does not get here until Sat so I used it for pour over. Grind uniformity is excellent. Also the effort to grind 18 grams of coffee for a pour over using 300 grams of water was surprisingly easy. Took 25 seconds at grind setting 3.7.0. Even my wife who only drinks cold brew coffee with vanilla almond milk remarked how good the coffee was that I made. This may be the perfect travel grinder.

Jkbrwn - what setting is your baseline setting when starting with new beans for espresso at 17 grams in the Robot?
But does it do Turkish grind?
Old 09-17-2021, 09:38 PM

The beauty of the Robot. I’m away for a week. The filter machine was on the counter when I arrived…
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0FAA3F5A-B08F-4E7A-82F4-A647C55AE528.jpg (73.0 KB, 160 views)
File Type: jpg 91C19B1E-497D-458D-8B13-BA03A89E60F2.jpg (57.0 KB, 159 views)
Old 09-18-2021, 04:27 PM

It's a cyclops borg that looks like it's going to run away with your coffee, or attack you with it's arms if you come near it!

Let us know what coffee you use with it and how it taste compared to coffee shop espressos.
Old 09-19-2021, 08:15 PM

Saw this in a store today
Old 09-20-2021, 01:07 AM

Quote:
It's a cyclops borg that looks like it's going to run away with your coffee, or attack you with it's arms if you come near it!

Let us know what coffee you use with it and how it taste compared to coffee shop espressos.
I am using the Genesis blend from Essence of Coffee locally in Rapid City with a roast date of 9/14/21. It an espresso blend from a local coffee shop/roaster that was started in Rapid City by a family from Australia. They are a local shop that does great espresso, flat whites, and long blacks.

It took me about 5 or 6 pulls to dial in the grind on the Izpresso hand grinder. Started at 1.4.0 and finally settled on 1.5.3. Used 17 grams of coffee in and 40 grams out. Finally had good shots that were head and shoulders above everything but premium local coffee shops. Heading out to the shop that roasted the beans I am using to have a double shot to reference what I should be striving towards.
Old 09-20-2021, 07:34 PM

Quote:
I am using the Genesis blend from Essence of Coffee locally in Rapid City with a roast date of 9/14/21. It an espresso blend from a local coffee shop/roaster that was started in Rapid City by a family from Australia. They are a local shop that does great espresso, flat whites, and long blacks.

It took me about 5 or 6 pulls to dial in the grind on the Izpresso hand grinder. Started at 1.4.0 and finally settled on 1.5.3. Used 17 grams of coffee in and 40 grams out. Finally had good shots that were head and shoulders above everything but premium local coffee shops. Heading out to the shop that roasted the beans I am using to have a double shot to reference what I should be striving towards.
Interesting, thanks for the info; have you ever owned any other espresso machines?
Old 09-21-2021, 08:12 AM

I have the Aeropress Traveller for my trips. A neat package teamed with a Hario hand grinder. It is significantly smaller than the original so you get a smaller cup. Keep this in mind with dosing as well.
Old 09-21-2021, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Interesting, thanks for the info; have you ever owned any other espresso machines?
This is my first espresso machine. I almost pulled the trigger on a used Rancilio Silvia on Ebay but decided since I don't drink milk drinks that often so a manual level machine was the way to go to shorten the learning curve.

I didn't want to have to go down the modification rabbit hole or temp surf, and wanted simple maintenance. Using a kettle, the water temp is the same every time.

So far I am not disappointed. The first four shots were terrible, but after dialing in the grind they have been very repeatable and surprisingly good. I can make a double shot in less than 5 minutes start to finish.

Went to the coffee shop to buy more beans and had a double shot there. Was pretty surprised how close I was with the Robot. The espresso at the shop had a touch more sweetness and velvet texture, but the flavor profile was very close.
Old 09-22-2021, 10:17 AM

Quote:
This is my first espresso machine. I almost pulled the trigger on a used Rancilio Silvia on Ebay but decided since I don't drink milk drinks that often so a manual level machine was the way to go to shorten the learning curve.

I didn't want to have to go down the modification rabbit hole or temp surf, and wanted simple maintenance. Using a kettle, the water temp is the same every time.

So far I am not disappointed. The first four shots were terrible, but after dialing in the grind they have been very repeatable and surprisingly good. I can make a double shot in less than 5 minutes start to finish.

Went to the coffee shop to buy more beans and had a double shot there. Was pretty surprised how close I was with the Robot. The espresso at the shop had a touch more sweetness and velvet texture, but the flavor profile was very close.
Welcome to Wonderland Alice! One of these days, when I no longer have to pull multiple doubles every morning, I'll be getting a lever machine and enjoy the process a bit more.
Old 10-11-2021, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankles View Post
Welcome to Wonderland Alice! One of these days, when I no longer have to pull multiple doubles every morning, I'll be getting a lever machine and enjoy the process a bit more.
After owning the Cafelat Robot for almost a month, I could not be more happy with the espresso it is producing. I stopped trying to hit 9 bars and now instead grind to 1.6.0 +- on the 1zpresso JX Pro to hit 3 bar pre-infusion for about 20 seconds, then ramp up to 6 bar to 38 grams out with 17 in. Usually takes 30ish seconds after pre-infusion. Shots are so good now.

Wish I could crank out multiple double shots if someone came over. No problem, ordered a second naked portafilter and dispersion screen for $35 and I can prep both portafilters for back to back shots. Since you don't have to preheat the portafilter with the Robot and you are using water off a kettle, I can crank back to back shots in less than a minute and a half apart.

Total time to produce two doubles was 8 minutes start to finish, including getting everything out, heating water, grinding for two doubles, prepping both portafilters and pulling both doubles.

Also added a bellman stovetop steamer for milk drinks.
Old 10-11-2021, 11:41 PM

Glad to hear you're happy with that combo. I am too! Nothing I desire to change about it. One of the few parts of my life where I've not considered upgrading anything. Which cannot be said for literally any other part of my life.

Old 10-12-2021, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbrwn View Post
Glad to hear you're happy with that combo. I am too! Nothing I desire to change about it. One of the few parts of my life where I've not considered upgrading anything. Which cannot be said for literally any other part of my life.

Thanks to your recommendation in this thread.
Old 10-12-2021, 05:29 AM

For those of you using a machine like the robot, what types of drinks are you most often making? Straight espresso? Americano? Or using a separate milk steamer to make milk based drinks?

Tags
caffeine, coffee, coffee espresso