Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-19-2021, 06:13 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
The best way to minimize this risk is do Buy It Now at a high price, then Best Offer. You get to check the buyer's feedback.
You can check the bidders/buyers feedback with a 'normal' auction too. One had a low number(8 I think), one had 115 transactions..
Old 09-19-2021, 02:50 PM

Tldr

I haven't used ebay to sell in quite a while. What are the new policies that's got everyone jumping ship? For me, it was the prospect of paypal triggering some irs headaches for menial transactions. Plus it was just easier to deal locally on Craigslist.
Old 09-19-2021, 03:15 PM

Just bought a WaterRower new in box from employee who got it for her 5th work anniversary there, saved 400.00 and didn't need to wait. Don't think they were overly happy with price, but it was pickup so that limited their interest severely.
Old 09-19-2021, 04:42 PM

If I want to sell something on E Bay, I will link to them. Don't see how that is any different or more risky than all the other automatic payments I do either with Visa, Duke Energy, water company, toll system, Vanguard, or PayPal, Apple Pay, and some others, etc.
Old 09-19-2021, 05:23 PM
SageOfMilwaukee

Just sold a set of wheels on eBay in less than 24 hours. Nice shipping discount through eBay as well. I'll take the fee once in a while for the audience that it gives a seller.
Old 09-19-2021, 07:24 PM

Agree. The shipping discount washes out the fact that they apply fee to shipping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kppolich View Post
Just sold a set of wheels on eBay in less than 24 hours. Nice shipping discount through eBay as well. I'll take the fee once in a while for the audience that it gives a seller.
Old 09-19-2021, 07:51 PM

I had a weird situation recently...

Bought a compact derailleur on ebay, seller shipped a (non) compact derailleur. Nice enough, but I wanted a CT.

So I pinged the guy and sent a photo...he said he'd dig up the correct one. Half a dozen messages and a week later, nothing.

So I lodged a complaint on eBay. A couple of days later I lodged a similar complaint on paypal.

Here's where it gets interesting. eBay closed the open case because I had opened a claim on Paypal.

A week later I get a refund from Paypal.

Then I noticed that I had gotten a return authorization on ebay, and then a case closed message.

So here I am with a free FD and no way to return it... I am not overly motivated to return it due to the way the seller d$cked me around... Oh well...
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 09-29-2021, 11:33 PM

Can you buy things off of ebay using a credit card?

It's been so many years since I bought something there I have no idea what's what.

Unfortunately need to find a few parts for a bike and ebay seems to be literally the only place that has 'em.
Old 09-30-2021, 07:12 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
Can you buy things off of ebay using a credit card?

It's been so many years since I bought something there I have no idea what's what.

Unfortunately need to find a few parts for a bike and ebay seems to be literally the only place that has 'em.
Well, sure, sorta. When I buy something is gives me the option of paying via PP account or 2 credit cards or my checking account. Depending on the seller..I 'think' you can just use a CC..if the seller is a retailer with the ability to take a CC...
Old 09-30-2021, 07:16 AM

I've been using Ebay for almost 20yrs now.
But in the last 5-10 yrs, it's been mainly to buy things (always paid via Paypal). Can't remember the last item I sold.

Anyway, recently I decided to sell something on Ebay and was surprised at the rigmarole I had to go through i.e. verification of identify, photographic proof, etc ...
I guess it's to do with AML and KYC requirements imposed on institutions accepting and transferring payments. Things have certainly changed in 20 yrs. Back then all I needed was a Paypal account.
Old 09-30-2021, 10:32 AM

I sold something recently and got to experience, for the first time, the "buyer guarantee" as a seller. This was for non-bike stuff - it was a cell phone. The buyer decided they didn't want it. I didn't offer returns, but it was out of my control - they claimed the phone "couldn't be activated" (it couldn't be activated because they didn't try) and that kicks off an eBay/PP workflow that the seller can't stop, and is time sensitive. A funny aside - because I don't offer returns, I hadn't checked the return-to address. eBay generated the return label automatically, and it was to my 2014 address! Glad I caught that one in time at least. Also glad they didn't ship back an empty box (a common scam).

C40_guy, in your case I would guess the seller didn't do anything when prompted, so after the "time-out" maybe you just got the refund.

For me as a seller that put a bad taste in my mouth - now things I can't sell on local CL just get donated - bike stuff to a local co-op and non-bike to Goodwill or the Habitat for Humanity store.
Old 09-30-2021, 10:44 AM

Did the buyer have good feedback?

Can you block bidders/buyers who have unpaid item strikes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by auto_rock View Post
I sold something recently and got to experience, for the first time, the "buyer guarantee" as a seller. This was for non-bike stuff - it was a cell phone. The buyer decided they didn't want it. I didn't offer returns, but it was out of my control - they claimed the phone "couldn't be activated" (it couldn't be activated because they didn't try) and that kicks off an eBay/PP workflow that the seller can't stop, and is time sensitive. A funny aside - because I don't offer returns, I hadn't checked the return-to address. eBay generated the return label automatically, and it was to my 2014 address! Glad I caught that one in time at least. Also glad they didn't ship back an empty box (a common scam).

C40_guy, in your case I would guess the seller didn't do anything when prompted, so after the "time-out" maybe you just got the refund.

For me as a seller that put a bad taste in my mouth - now things I can't sell on local CL just get donated - bike stuff to a local co-op and non-bike to Goodwill or the Habitat for Humanity store.
Old 09-30-2021, 11:15 AM

The buyer had 100% positive, 1 feedback so :shrug:

You can block buyers for some reasons (including previous non-payment, I believe). https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/re...r-ebay?id=4082

You cannot block zero-feedback buyers, and in my case the buyer did everything within policy, other than fudging, IMO, an "item not as described".
Old 10-02-2021, 08:26 AM
Steel..what else??

I'm out again. 2 of the last 4 transactions w problems.
After years of selling with no issues, it's not the same.
The buyer is different, maybe the Amazon effect.
Complaints and returns.
I'll keep my crap.
Old 10-02-2021, 08:43 AM

I just sold two stems for $6.50 and $10 shipping and then the buyer asked me to cancel because he realized his bars were 25.4 not 26.0. This didn't seem unreasonable to me, and it's the first time I've had anything like this I can recall. Three other sales went through fine.

Some stuff just doesn't sell here, and I like to find it a home where it will get used.