Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-14-2018, 11:18 AM
Korbey

OT –*What's taking up bike space in your garage?

After posting a photo of my newly-built cross bike in another thread, I received a number of questions about the BMW in the background... I wish it was mine, but our team mechanic is not only a badass cross racer and bike mechanic, he builds and tunes E30s. Here are a few more photos of the car (and one of my bike, to keep this somewhat relevant...).

Mares CX side by ckorbey, on Flickr

E30-FrontQuarter by ckorbey, on Flickr

E30-BackQuarter by ckorbey, on Flickr

My only mildly-interesting contribution to this thread is my Volvo wagon. I slowly built a 2007 XC70 into a more offroad capable vehicle, then wrapped it for my side business. If you were ever wondering about the marketing value of a wrap, I can attest that it's worth every dollar.

The work was largely cosmetic, but ended up being pretty capable in cross race parking lot / fields Some wheel well reshaping, spacers in the back, plasti dipped rims, complete matte black wrap + matte orange graphics, smoked tail lights...

IMG_5998 by ckorbey, on Flickr

IMG_6090 by ckorbey, on Flickr

I'd love to see some of your four wheeled babies!

Last edited by ckorbey; 05-15-2018 at 12:02 PM.
Old 05-14-2018, 05:30 PM

Frames and wheels are taking up bike space in my garage...
Old 05-14-2018, 05:47 PM
extremely tall

That wrap looks great. Curious about it; ballpark cost? Do you wash the car normally or does the wrap require more care? How is it aging?
Old 05-14-2018, 06:04 PM
Korbey

Quote:
Originally Posted by echelon_john View Post
That wrap looks great. Curious about it; ballpark cost? Do you wash the car normally or does the wrap require more care? How is it aging?
Thanks! The wrap was pricey because I did a complete matte black base, then overlaid orange graphics that could be changed each year. Here's a general breakdown:

Wrap: $3k
Tires: $1,400
Dipped rims: $250
Smoked lights: $250

I hand wash the car weekly without any issue. After 2 years, pieces of the wrap started to wear / peel - especially around the mirrors, door handles. But overall, it was a great investment that paid for itself many times over.

I'm actually selling the car now since I replaced it with a Tacoma. I'm excited to design a new wrap, but I'll be sad to see this one go.
Old 05-14-2018, 06:09 PM

Oops - wrong forum...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 102_0236.jpg (147.3 KB, 441 views)
Old 05-15-2018, 09:23 AM

You park cars in your garage??? The last car I parked in a garage was sold about ten years (and two houses) ago.

Every time we get even remotely close to being able to squeeze a car in there, something else comes along to consume the space. OTOH, I do have several bikes in the garage, three on the floor, four more hanging from hooks. Also have a bunch of wheels hanging from rafters, and tubulars "aging" in the far corner. So it's not all bad.
Old 05-15-2018, 09:41 AM
Korbey

I'd be remiss not to add my daily driver (when it's not raining or cold)...

IMG_5400 by ckorbey, on Flickr

Also, I can't figure out how to add a photo in the body of a post, instead of adding a link. Is Flickr not an acceptable source for inline photos? FIXED!

Last edited by ckorbey; 05-15-2018 at 12:00 PM.
Old 05-15-2018, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckorbey View Post
Is Flickr not an acceptable source for inline photos?
When you go to share a photo (the little curved arrow), poke the BBCode option, choose the size you want, then paste the entire long mess into your forum post. It effectively inserts two <url>...</url> fragments (replace < and > with [ and ]). I always delete the second.
Old 05-15-2018, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckorbey View Post
My only mildly-interesting contribution to this thread is my Volvo wagon. I slowly built a 2007 XC70 into a more offroad capable vehicle, then wrapped it for my side business. If you were ever wondering about the marketing value of a wrap, I can attest that it's worth every dollar.

The work was largely cosmetic, but ended up being pretty capable in cross race parking lot / fields Some wheel well reshaping, spacers in the back, plasti dipped rims, complete matte black wrap + matte orange graphics, smoked tail lights...

https://flic.kr/p/264mquJ

I'd love to see some of your four wheeled babies!
I don't have a garage so its just my neighbors who park and squat their old cars in front of my house. Not worth photographing

Those E30s are cool, but my heart is with the Volvo. I have an '04 XC70 and have been thinking about doing some mild suspension upgrades with a minor lift, you know, for all the potholes in Philly. Your's looks great! BTW, I think yours is an '08. The P3 chassis came out for 2008, 2001-07 were the P2. Also, feel free to sell it to me :-)
Old 05-15-2018, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by v531xc View Post
Those E30s are cool, but my heart is with the Volvo. I have an '04 XC70 and have been thinking about doing some mild suspension upgrades with a minor lift, you know, for all the potholes in Philly. Your's looks great! BTW, I think yours is an '08. The P3 chassis came out for 2008, 2001-07 were the P2. Also, feel free to sell it to me :-)
You guys should stop by swedishbricks.net and join the mailing list. Much of the talk there is focused on 200/700/900 series Volvos, with an occasional Amazon or P1800 thread.

Also, lots of off-topic banter. The listmeister (me) is somewhat lenient.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 05-15-2018, 11:58 AM
Korbey

Quote:
Originally Posted by smontanaro View Post
When you go to share a photo (the little curved arrow), poke the BBCode option, choose the size you want, then paste the entire long mess into your forum post. It effectively inserts two <url>...</url> fragments (replace < and > with [ and ]). I always delete the second.
Thanks!
Old 05-15-2018, 01:26 PM

I had two empty garage bays for too long. 2017 was the year of the Alfa.

Jeff
Attached Images
File Type: jpg QV Garage.JPG (100.0 KB, 297 views)
Old 05-15-2018, 01:27 PM

Other garage.

Jeff
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4C Garage.JPG (93.1 KB, 296 views)
Old 05-15-2018, 05:13 PM

No garage, so my bikes live in the basement.
My side" has the bike and wood shop. My wife's side has the treadmill and rowing machine.

CaptStash....
Old 05-15-2018, 11:16 PM

I went kind of nuts buying Deere lawn tractors at the spring consignment sales, brought home five of them and a bunch of parts (big parts like engines, transmissions, hoods and wheels). So far have three of them up and mowing, other two have major engine issues. Already had 3 project tractors and one good reliable one in the shed, so it's kind of crowded right now.