Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 09:32 AM

I did not expect this when I opened up the thread.

Other thoughts:

Leaders on both sides of the Atlantic mourned the death Monday of former British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher:
President Obama
"With the passing of Baroness Margaret Thatcher, the world has lost one of the great champions of freedom and liberty, and America has lost a true friend. As a grocer's daughter who rose to become Britain's first female prime minister, she stands as an example to our daughters that there is no glass ceiling that can't be shattered. As prime minister, she helped restore the confidence and pride that has always been the hallmark of Britain at its best. And as an unapologetic supporter of our transatlantic alliance, she knew that with strength and resolve we could win the Cold War and extend freedom's promise. Here in America, many of us will never forget her standing shoulder to shoulder with President Reagan, reminding the world that we are not simply carried along by the currents of history-we can shape them with moral conviction, unyielding courage and iron will. Michelle and I send our thoughts to the Thatcher family and all the British people as we carry on the work to which she dedicated her life-free peoples standing together, determined to write our own destiny."

Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell
"Americans and all freedom-loving people around the world mourn the passing today of The Iron Lady, Margaret Thatcher. A shopkeeper's daughter from Lincolnshire, Margaret Thatcher rose through the force of her will and the power of her arguments to become the first and only female Prime Minister Great Britain has ever had. Undaunted by the tremendous personal and political obstacles that stood in her path at nearly every turn, including an attempt on her life, Thatcher reshaped Britain from the state of economic and social turmoil in which she found it to a place of opportunity and promise during three terms in office. She boldly reasserted her nation's strength in foreign affairs, and she became an iconic symbol of the transformative power of conservative ideas. A great ally and admirer of the United States and a trusted partner of Ronald Reagan during some of the most challenging days of the Cold War, Margaret Thatcher never hesitated to remind Americans of their own obligations to the cause of freedom and of the need for political courage and confidence in the face of long odds. A towering figure of 20th century politics and an inspiration to millions around the globe, Margaret Thatcher set a standard of leadership that will be hard to replicate, but which will forever stand as a model for those who wish to change society for the better."

House Speaker John Boehner
"The greatest peacetime prime minister in British history is dead. Margaret Thatcher, a grocer's daughter, stared down elites, union bosses, and communists to win three consecutive elections, establish conservative principles in Western Europe, and bring down the Iron Curtain. There was no secret to her values - hard work and personal responsibility - and no nonsense at all in her leadership. She once said, 'Defeat? I do not recognize the meaning of the word.' Now this lady who was never for turning goes to rest as grateful friends and allies around the world mourn her passing and pray for her loved ones. Americans will always keep Lady Thatcher in our hearts for her loyalty to Ronald Reagan and their friendship that we all admired. At this difficult hour, I send the condolences of the U.S. House of Representatives to Prime Minister Cameron and the British people."
Former President George W. Bush
"Laura and I are saddened by the death of Baroness Margaret Thatcher. She was an inspirational leader who stood on principle and guided her nation with confidence and clarity. Prime Minister Thatcher is a great example of strength and character, and a great ally who strengthened the special relationship between the United Kingdom and the United States. Laura and I join the people of Great Britain in remembering the life and leadership of this strong woman and friend."

Former British Prime Minister Tony Blair
"Margaret Thatcher was a towering political figure. Very few leaders get to change not only the political landscape of their country but of the world. Margaret was such a leader. Her global impact was vast. And some of the changes she made in Britain were, in certain respects at least, retained by the 1997 Labour Government, and came to be implemented by governments around the world. As a person she was kind and generous spirited and was always immensely supportive to me as Prime Minister although we came from opposite sides of politics. Even if you disagreed with her as I did on certain issues and occasionally strongly, you could not disrespect her character or her contribution to Britain's national life. She will be sadly missed."
Old 04-08-2013, 09:37 AM
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggieburger View Post
Wow. Perhaps this thread should be stricken from the records.

No sympathy for her victims then, huh?
Old 04-08-2013, 09:38 AM
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIAm View Post
I did not expect this when I opened up the thread.

Other thoughts:

Leaders on both sides of the Atlantic mourned the death Monday of former British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher:
President Obama
"With the passing of Baroness Margaret Thatcher, the world has lost one of the great champions of freedom and liberty, and America has lost a true friend. As a grocer's daughter who rose to become Britain's first female prime minister, she stands as an example to our daughters that there is no glass ceiling that can't be shattered. As prime minister, she helped restore the confidence and pride that has always been the hallmark of Britain at its best. And as an unapologetic supporter of our transatlantic alliance, she knew that with strength and resolve we could win the Cold War and extend freedom's promise. Here in America, many of us will never forget her standing shoulder to shoulder with President Reagan, reminding the world that we are not simply carried along by the currents of history-we can shape them with moral conviction, unyielding courage and iron will. Michelle and I send our thoughts to the Thatcher family and all the British people as we carry on the work to which she dedicated her life-free peoples standing together, determined to write our own destiny."

Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell
"Americans and all freedom-loving people around the world mourn the passing today of The Iron Lady, Margaret Thatcher. A shopkeeper's daughter from Lincolnshire, Margaret Thatcher rose through the force of her will and the power of her arguments to become the first and only female Prime Minister Great Britain has ever had. Undaunted by the tremendous personal and political obstacles that stood in her path at nearly every turn, including an attempt on her life, Thatcher reshaped Britain from the state of economic and social turmoil in which she found it to a place of opportunity and promise during three terms in office. She boldly reasserted her nation's strength in foreign affairs, and she became an iconic symbol of the transformative power of conservative ideas. A great ally and admirer of the United States and a trusted partner of Ronald Reagan during some of the most challenging days of the Cold War, Margaret Thatcher never hesitated to remind Americans of their own obligations to the cause of freedom and of the need for political courage and confidence in the face of long odds. A towering figure of 20th century politics and an inspiration to millions around the globe, Margaret Thatcher set a standard of leadership that will be hard to replicate, but which will forever stand as a model for those who wish to change society for the better."

House Speaker John Boehner
"The greatest peacetime prime minister in British history is dead. Margaret Thatcher, a grocer's daughter, stared down elites, union bosses, and communists to win three consecutive elections, establish conservative principles in Western Europe, and bring down the Iron Curtain. There was no secret to her values - hard work and personal responsibility - and no nonsense at all in her leadership. She once said, 'Defeat? I do not recognize the meaning of the word.' Now this lady who was never for turning goes to rest as grateful friends and allies around the world mourn her passing and pray for her loved ones. Americans will always keep Lady Thatcher in our hearts for her loyalty to Ronald Reagan and their friendship that we all admired. At this difficult hour, I send the condolences of the U.S. House of Representatives to Prime Minister Cameron and the British people."
Former President George W. Bush
"Laura and I are saddened by the death of Baroness Margaret Thatcher. She was an inspirational leader who stood on principle and guided her nation with confidence and clarity. Prime Minister Thatcher is a great example of strength and character, and a great ally who strengthened the special relationship between the United Kingdom and the United States. Laura and I join the people of Great Britain in remembering the life and leadership of this strong woman and friend."

Former British Prime Minister Tony Blair
"Margaret Thatcher was a towering political figure. Very few leaders get to change not only the political landscape of their country but of the world. Margaret was such a leader. Her global impact was vast. And some of the changes she made in Britain were, in certain respects at least, retained by the 1997 Labour Government, and came to be implemented by governments around the world. As a person she was kind and generous spirited and was always immensely supportive to me as Prime Minister although we came from opposite sides of politics. Even if you disagreed with her as I did on certain issues and occasionally strongly, you could not disrespect her character or her contribution to Britain's national life. She will be sadly missed."
'Respectful' spin and BS.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:41 AM

Marz has a point.....

shes equally reviled and loved, but then noone asks the common man for their opinion.

Shame Arthur Scargill could not be asked his........
Old 04-08-2013, 09:41 AM
Mr Dobalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marz View Post
Her corpse deserves kicking.
Perhaps you should go somewhere else to run down the dead...and come back when you want to talk about bikes.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:42 AM

Show some class and let this thread die.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:47 AM
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by firerescuefin View Post
Perhaps you should go somewhere else to run down the dead...and come back when you want to talk about bikes.
Get a clue.

She supported despots and murderers as reviled as Hitler and Stalin.

And I have read about OT topics here before.

How quickly people forget the crimes of elegantly coiffured and titled psychopaths. It's disrespectful to the vulnerable victims who have suffered and died.

Last edited by Marz; 04-08-2013 at 09:50 AM.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:52 AM
Mr Dobalina

Quote:
Get a clue.

She supported despots and murderers as reviled as Hitler.

And I have read OT subjects here before.

How quickly people forget the crimes of elegantly coiffured and titled psychopaths.
Read the rules Mars...I know you would rather act like an @ss and offend most of the people on here with your rants. There are plenty of political figures I revile. This isn't the place. There are plenty of them (places) where you'll find thousands that will applaud and agree with you.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:53 AM

Old 04-08-2013, 09:55 AM
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by firerescuefin View Post
Read the rules Mars...I know you would rather act like an @ss and offend most of the people on here with your rants. There are plenty of political figures I revile. This isn't the place. There are plenty of them (places) where find thousands that will applaud and agree with you.
Offend? What? You disagreeing with the facts about her?
Old 04-08-2013, 09:55 AM

Marz... Not because I necessarily disagree with you... but this is a rule of the forum for a good reason:

The Paceline Forum is NOT....

• For discussion of partisan political topics. If a discussion devolves into partisan politics it will be shut down by the moderators and the thread may be deleted. Experience has taught us these discussions inevitably deteriorate.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:00 AM
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk View Post
Marz... Not because I necessarily disagree with you... but this is a rule of the forum for a good reason:

The Paceline Forum is NOT....

• For discussion of partisan political topics. If a discussion devolves into partisan politics it will be shut down by the moderators and the thread may be deleted. Experience has taught us these discussions inevitably deteriorate.
Apologies, just wanted to set the record straight.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Why?

Because she died?
So are you an Australian ?(if so i'm not sure why you have such strong opinions regarding Margaret Thatcher)

If you are a Brit then you must have left in search of a "better life".

Either way i don't suppose you know how to fill in a psychopathy checklist so shouldn't use those terms.
Are you a psychiatrist/clinical psychologist?
Old 04-08-2013, 10:01 AM

Dying of a horrible disease does not invalidate all the horrible stuff you did in your life
Old 04-08-2013, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Apologies, just wanted to set the record straight.
Most of us can't agree on bike-related stuff... nevermind Tories v. Whigs....
Closed Thread