Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-11-2024, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgolvin View Post
I think it would be helpful to know how much more low gearing you think you need beyond your current 34/27. If just a 30 or 32 in the rear will be enough then a longer RD cage and a new cassette should serve. If you think those are ok for now but you'll need more in the future, then a new crankset (in combination with these changes) makes the most sense.

If you want to keep the Campy look then the Chorus 12 48/32 crankset is the right choice, and they're available in 165 (as Mark already pointed out above). Praxis is also a good alternative unless your BB is ITA (not impossible but a royal PITA, involves buying one of several ITA BBs and swapping one of the bearings). If you think you'll need more, then a 46/30 like the White Industries (or one of those Suginos?) is probably a better choice.

I used a Praxis Zayante carbon 48/32 crankset on my Ottrott with pre-2015 SR shift group (short RD cage, 11-29 cassette) and it worked great. I do a lot of climbing, including quite steep stuff, and even if I couldn't really spin the 32/29 on the steepest stuff, it was adequate. Having the additional 32 in the back on my current Chorus 12 setup makes things a bit better when my legs are tired.
I'd like something on the order of 34 chainring & 34 or 36 cassette - call it a 27 gear inch. Last year I used a 28/28 on my CSI for a hilly century, and it was OK, but I kept looking for that 'other' gear! Two factors: I'm 73, and still recovering from a car/bike accident last fall (broken pelvis). Normally I do a lot of miles each year (for me, that is) averaging 4,500 each year over the past 12 years, so am normally in relatively good shape. I'm getting back slowly but surely.

I can use another ring set, like you mentioned. I've got a couple SA or Sugino cranks with lower rings, but I'd like to stay with Campy - but not a must. My Campy triple is on the CSI this year, running a 24/30 for a gear inch of 21.
Old 04-11-2024, 03:41 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flinch View Post
I'd like something on the order of 34 chainring & 34 or 36 cassette - call it a 27 gear inch. Last year I used a 28/28 on my CSI for a hilly century, and it was OK, but I kept looking for that 'other' gear! Two factors: I'm 73, and still recovering from a car/bike accident last fall (broken pelvis). Normally I do a lot of miles each year (for me, that is) averaging 4,500 each year over the past 12 years, so am normally in relatively good shape. I'm getting back slowly but surely.

I can use another ring set, like you mentioned. I've got a couple SA or Sugino cranks with lower rings, but I'd like to stay with Campy - but not a must. My Campy triple is on the CSI this year, running a 24/30 for a gear inch of 21.
Gotcha.

Recognizing that you like what you have, I'll throw out another possibility: buy a complete Chorus 12 groupset, minus the calipers. You can get a 48/32 crankset (yes, I realize you said 34 small ring, hear me out) and an 11-34 cassette to give you a lower than 1:1 gear ratio, and it will work with your wheelset (possible issue if you have Chris King hubs).

I know, typical Paceliner, spending your money and seeming to ignore your preferences. But these groupsets are available for short money these days (less than $900 including calipers) and given that you can likely sell your 11 speed setup here for a decent price, the cost difference in the end may not be very much (I think those bigger RD cages can be a bit pricey). Just something to consider.
Old 04-11-2024, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgolvin View Post
Gotcha.

I think those bigger RD cages can be a bit pricey.
If the OP isn’t too particular, he can still get a Centaur 11 speed RD for under $60:

https://www.tradeinn.com/bikeinn/en/...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Good Luck!
Old 04-11-2024, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtakeda View Post
11-36 cassette will shifter just fine if you have the mid cage rear der.

Ill admit my bike has 46/30 cranks though so Im not sure if youll max out with the compact gearing.

If you want to get an idea of what I just did to my campy 11 speed a couple days ago this will give you a chuckle

Thats deore xt RD to an 11-40 cassette with campy drivetrain
That thing rocks! in class of it's own. Is it a 29er mtb frame or 700c gravel type?

In the past I've set up the wife's bike with a Chorus +2015 medium cage and 11spd shimano ultegra 11-32 cassette. That was with a 50/34 chainset and later on a Sugino OX901 46/30. Both set ups shifted perfectly.

Last edited by maslow; 04-11-2024 at 04:05 PM.
Old 04-11-2024, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfd View Post
If the OP isn’t too particular, he can still get a Centaur 11 speed RD for under $60:

https://www.tradeinn.com/bikeinn/en/...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Good Luck!
Er, maybe a dumb question, but will the derailleur work with my 11 shifters, or are you saying that this is a cage donor?

PS Swapped in the 50/34 crankset today, and handy tip to those who can't find a 14mm allen to tighten the crank arm retaining bolt - a crank arm screw-in remover works peachy, just use the 14mm hex head as your allen key, and turn it with a wrench.
Old 04-11-2024, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maslow View Post
That thing rocks! in class of it's own. Is it a 29er mtb frame or 700c gravel type?

In the past I've set up the wife's bike with a Chorus +2015 medium cage and 11spd shimano ultegra 11-32 cassette. That was with a 50/34 chainset and later on a Sugino OX901 46/30. Both set ups shifted perfectly.
This is a 700c gravel frame. I originally built it with Chorus 11 and a chorus mid cage RD 46/30 and 11-36 cassette. That gearing was perfectly fine for me when I was in bike messenger shape but now that I dont ride a bike for work im finding I need some extra help up the steep unpaved roads here.
Old 04-12-2024, 02:18 AM

I've got the same Chorus pre-2015 groupset as the OP. It has a short cage Chorus RD. Currently limited to running 28T cassette.

Am I right to think if I want to do this incrementally, instead of buying a new crankset ..

1. Install a Roadlink + chain length .. which should increase ability to handle up to 32T cassette

2. Install a Roadlink + modify to Medium cage + chain length .. which should increase it to support 36T ?
Old 04-12-2024, 06:36 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by caneye View Post
I've got the same Chorus pre-2015 groupset as the OP. It has a short cage Chorus RD. Currently limited to running 28T cassette.

Am I right to think if I want to do this incrementally, instead of buying a new crankset ..

1. Install a Roadlink + chain length .. which should increase ability to handle up to 32T cassette

2. Install a Roadlink + modify to Medium cage + chain length .. which should increase it to support 36T ?
Depending on your rig, just proper chain length 'might' work with a 32t biggest cog.
Old 04-12-2024, 07:02 AM

From my experience, Athena 11 as well as Chorus 11 post 2015 have absolutely no issues with 11-32 cassette, would it be Centaur 11s or Shimano 11s. Of course no issue at all with Centaur 11s RD, but derailleur ratio is mutually exclusive to Centaur 11s shifters.
Old 04-12-2024, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caneye View Post

Agree with Spud. 32 likely works even without the Roadlink. I needed one with EPS because it lacks a b screw, and the upper jockey interfered with the 32. Chain length needs to be spot on, and it'll still exceed der capacity so likely either the big/big or small/small are unusable. I opted for the later as it won't rip the derailleur off if you hit it accidentally, and I rarely use the that end of the cassette in the 34.
The 36? Might be a reach even with a medium cage, but no experience there.
Old 04-12-2024, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Depending on your rig, just proper chain length 'might' work with a 32t biggest cog.
Quote:
Originally Posted by glepore View Post
Agree with Spud. 32 likely works even without the Roadlink..... Chain length needs to be spot on, and it'll still exceed der capacity so likely either the big/big or small/small are unusable.
This is news to me. I'll have to revisit this. I've got Centaur, Chorus, Record, and SR - all with short cage RD - and I'd like to get to 32T from my existing 29T on all bikes. I don't ride cross chain, so that's no problem, but I'm wondering about shifting through the usable range with a longer chain length that would be required. Will have to check it out....
Old 04-12-2024, 01:26 PM

------- Update --------

As a temp fix I installed an 11 speed Ultegra wheel from a donor bike, 11-36t cassette, and blocked out the 36t cog via the limit screw, and backed out the B screww all I legally could. Goes into the 32t fine, and is barely OK at BigCog/BigRing, ditto Small/small, but I gotta watch cross chaining. Yesterday I also installed a ten speed 50/34 Power Torque crankset.

Question: Has anyone tried a 10 speed Ultegra med/long cage derailleur with Campy pre 2015 shifters? May have to do that myself, as I read somewhere that it may work, depending on the phase of the moon and just how well you squint at it.

Have not taken it for a ride yet.
Old 04-12-2024, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flinch View Post
Question: Has anyone tried a 10 speed Ultegra med/long cage derailleur with Campy pre 2015 shifters?
I did this with an XTR RD and Athena 11 spd ultrashift. It mates up to a 10 speed shimano cassette pretty well. Not "perfect", but I don't think it ever missed a shift on me. I eventually swapped out the RD for a long cage Athena and an 11 spd cassette.
Old 04-12-2024, 02:58 PM

Is there a bikingreen chainring setup for your cranks? Easiest way to do things. Otherwise a cheaper subcompact set of cranks may be a good option as well as others mentioned.
Old 04-12-2024, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post
Is there a bikingreen chainring setup for your cranks?
Unfortunately there's no Campy compatibility (well, other than those rare 110 BCD square taper BB compact cranks from the mid '00's).

IMO, the OP needs either:

a Roadlink set-up

or

a long cage 11 spd Athena RD

or

a long cage 10 spd Campy RD, ideally with the cable attachment that involves slightly modifying the attachment bolt