Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-09-2021, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
I don't think we've seen sufficient reform to know. Personally, I think there is a compelling case that restrictions on pay (both from the schools and outside activities) should be illegal on antitrust grounds, and we haven't seen NCAA sports play out without that.

Yes, I will grant you that the NCAA, as it currently exists, exists for the purpose of exploiting students and enriching coaches and administrators. Maybe the organization itself is beyond reform, but I don't think the competitive intercollegiate athletics couldn't exist without exploiting the students.
Assuming you fully intended the double negative, there is even precedence that the NCAA isn't needed at all to have intercollegiate competitions, with men's crew and cycling being the two prime examples.
Old 06-09-2021, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
A valid question. Short answer: not nearly as much as it benefited the school.
Maybe not but is anything wrong with that?
Old 06-09-2021, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vespasianus View Post
You need to look at the net worth of the students that he coached. Was their time at Duke productive and did it benefit them?
An economist would say no, when you take into account the opportunity costs of not being able to market their talents to teams at rates commenserate with the value they bring, and to benefit from endorsement deals. Or, at least there would be opportunity costs if it was truly a free market system (which it is not).
Old 06-09-2021, 11:41 PM

Paying college athlete conversation reminds me of the conversation about whether Olympic athletes could be professional and paid instead of remaining amateurs.

Well, we all know the change was made, and if anything, the Olympics have only become more corrupt and worse as the money has increased.

The issue isn't the college athletes pay, it's the corruption within the NCAA Athletic system. Paying athletes without addressing this will only make the situation worse.

(You only need to look at how the NCAA handles women's sports television contracts to see the rot)
Old 06-10-2021, 06:38 AM

X

Last edited by Marvinlungwitz; 01-05-2024 at 09:38 PM.
Old 06-21-2021, 12:05 PM

Changes are a comin .... https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/in...?ocid=msedgntp
Old 06-21-2021, 12:22 PM
Randomhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by verticaldoug View Post
The issue isn't the college athletes pay, it's the corruption within the NCAA Athletic system. Paying athletes without addressing this will only make the situation worse.
The corruption is the reason why college sports should be split off from the academy. Penn State was just the most obvious example, we seem to have gotten used to it because there wasn't nearly as much national outrage that the entire sports and academic administration of Michigan State was involved in protecting a child predation ring in the national women's gymnastic program that was closely associated with the university.
Old 06-21-2021, 12:28 PM

I would go the other way, ban college sports. Let club sports fill in as the professional farm leagues, they can pay athletes if they want.
Old 06-21-2021, 12:32 PM
Rockstruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicycletricycle View Post
I would go the other way, ban college sports. Let club sports fill in as the professional farm leagues, they can pay athletes if they want.
Yep.
Old 06-21-2021, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
An economist would say no, when you take into account the opportunity costs of not being able to market their talents to teams at rates commenserate with the value they bring, and to benefit from endorsement deals. Or, at least there would be opportunity costs if it was truly a free market system (which it is not).
But the vast majority of college athletes don't ever make it to a pro contract. Now, you could argue DUKE makes more money off them but that is another story.

Personally, I hope this leads to the death of all big name college sports. Bring it back to the student athlete.
Old 06-21-2021, 02:48 PM

I don't think college athletes should be paid beyond a scholarship. But I also don't understand the fanaticism of some Alums like at Penn State. Whatever supplemental revenue they generate from sports should go towards education in my view.

I played two sports at a D3 school. I bought my own golf balls and hockey sticks and all gear for that matter. They didn't even pay for sutures and I got cut a lot. But they did pay for ice time and green fees. If I had wanted to play in the NHL, I would have went to Canada at 18 when offered. I get it that D1 athletes are different, some of them will play pro ball and will earn the bucks. They can always go directly to the pro ranks, plenty of hockey players have done it and even Tiger left Stanford before finishing his degree. So, nobody is forcing them to stay and play. If they are that good, they could leave and play in the pro ranks. Otherwise, many are getting a free education and that is where they should focus.
Old 06-21-2021, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripvanrando View Post
I don't think college athletes should be paid beyond a scholarship. But I also don't understand the fanaticism of some Alums like at Penn State. Whatever supplemental revenue they generate from sports should go towards education in my view.
Top players bring in far more to their schools than the value of a scholarship. Only paying them the value of a scholarship denies them the ability to negotiate compensation based on their actual value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripvanrando View Post
I played two sports at a D3 school. I bought my own golf balls and hockey sticks and all gear for that matter. They didn't even pay for sutures and I got cut a lot. But they did pay for ice time and green fees. If I had wanted to play in the NHL, I would have went to Canada at 18 when offered. I get it that D1 athletes are different, some of them will play pro ball and will earn the bucks. They can always go directly to the pro ranks, plenty of hockey players have done it and even Tiger left Stanford before finishing his degree. So, nobody is forcing them to stay and play. If they are that good, they could leave and play in the pro ranks. Otherwise, many are getting a free education and that is where they should focus.
The system is rigged to prevent athletes from doing that - due to collusion between the NCAA and the NFL and NBA, athletes can not just go directly to the pros. The NFL requires that a player wait 3 years after graduating from high school before they can play professionally. The NBA requires a player to wait 1 year after high school. With no where else to play for up to 3 years, athletes have no choice but to go to a college team. And because they have no choice, they basically have to accept whatever terms the NCAA offers (whether it is fair compensation or not).
Old 06-21-2021, 03:49 PM

I've been here at Virginia Tech long enough to remember when they were just a podunk college football team to the Big Ten Big East with coach Beamer and Mike Vic and so on. IT's completely changed this town in some ways good in other ways bad. If you owned a house here your property values doubled easily in ten years. There is all kinds of money here now and not just inside the university and it all came on the backs of the athletes. I'm all for them having a slice of that pie.
Old 06-21-2021, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
Top players bring in far more to their schools than the value of a scholarship. Only paying them the value of a scholarship denies them the ability to negotiate compensation based on their actual value.

The system is rigged to prevent athletes from doing that - due to collusion between the NCAA and the NFL and NBA, athletes can not just go directly to the pros. The NFL requires that a player wait 3 years after graduating from high school before they can play professionally. The NBA requires a player to wait 1 year after high school. With no where else to play for up to 3 years, athletes have no choice but to go to a college team. And because they have no choice, they basically have to accept whatever terms the NCAA offers (whether it is fair compensation or not).
Aren't they still drafting high school players into the NHL? Kid down the street from me went in the first round back in the day.

One year before being able to play in the NBA? Boo Hoo. I did not know that about the NFL.

I don't believe student athletes should share those funds.

I am sure SCOTUS has nothing better to do and will show me wrong, I am just giving my opinion. College Athletes should be students first and foremost. Most of these kids will never play professionally. Maybe the issue is with the NFL, maybe they are colluding with NCAA.
Old 06-21-2021, 04:17 PM
Riding Along

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicycletricycle View Post
Exactly.