Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-05-2019, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickl View Post
Funny, since they are sponsoring more World Pro teams than last year and are the first major manufacturer to roll out a 12 speed road group. All of that costs more money than a failing company can support.
Campy is interesting in that there are very few bikes that are sold OEM with their products... Shimano and Sram and campy sells just about all their products in the after market. And they have nothing in the MTB market...and the biggest sector now is gravel...do they have much for that?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
Old 02-05-2019, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fogrider View Post
Campy is interesting in that there are very few bikes that are sold OEM with their products... Shimano and Sram and campy sells just about all their products in the after market. And they have nothing in the MTB market...and the biggest sector now is gravel...do they have much for that?
This - plus the 'enthusiast' market, i.e., this forum, seems more interested in buying their older stuff, anyway.
Old 02-05-2019, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbadge View Post
This - plus the 'enthusiast' market, i.e., this forum, seems more interested in buying their older stuff, anyway.
Sure Campy has a cut of the enthusiast market, but how big is that? And with electronic shifting and disc brakes, how much of the enthusiast market does Campy have? I've 3 bikes on campy and my 3 most recent bikes are DA and 2 are Di2. I'm thinking next year I might build another...pretty sure I want electronic shifting. 11 speed etap will be on sale now that we are waiting for 12 speed etap, but R8000 is a great value...Campy EPS is suppose to be better, but where do you get it and what's it going to cost?
Old 02-05-2019, 10:55 PM
Riding Along

Quote:

What data backs this up? Biggest globally? Not likely. Biggest in North America? Doubt that as well. Gravel as a proportion of bikes sales is not likely to be number one. Campy sells all over the world and its big markets are in Europe and Asia. Also, they have hydro options now across their range for road and gravel.
Old 02-05-2019, 10:57 PM

Quote:

Nope, no gravel, minimal if any presence in cyclocross and they haven’t done MTB since the 90s and even then, it was at best a halfhearted, somewhat underfunded effort. They realize they can’t compete everywhere with their limited resources and the cycling press has expounded on that at length. For now, they appear mostly satisfied by supporting their road groupsets with little OEM exposure. They appear to also enjoy a lucrative business in their Fulcrum wheels. None of this bodes well for anything beyond a modest but sustainable market presence but since they are family owned even that may not last forever.

Last edited by nickl; 02-05-2019 at 11:13 PM.
Old 02-06-2019, 08:09 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:

Not even close..Altho you see it a lot here, and there is a lot of hub-bub about GRoad bikes, it doesn't really even exist anyplace other than the US, which, by comparison to Asia and Europe, is still a teeny market.
Old 02-06-2019, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Not even close..Altho you see it a lot here, and there is a lot of hub-bub about GRoad bikes, it doesn't really even exist anyplace other than the US, which, by comparison to Asia and Europe, is still a teeny market.
Yup. There are many places in the world outside the US where you don't need to worry as much about getting mowed down by idiot drivers while riding on proper roads. At least that seems to be what is driving the gravel craze among some people I know.
Old 02-06-2019, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemoryl View Post
Yup. There are many places in the world outside the US where you don't need to worry as much about getting mowed down by idiot drivers while riding on proper roads. At least that seems to be what is driving the gravel craze among some people I know.
Didn't we already go over this in a different thread? it is the Fear of getting hit by cars that is increasing, not the actual reality of the chances of getting hit by cars.
Old 02-06-2019, 03:25 PM

New outfits like PowerMeterCity or CleverTraining that specialize in gadgetry and indoor training equipment seem to be an emerging market. Power meter's are getting cheaper and cheaper, and are MUCH more accessible than ever, as are Smart trainers/Smart bikes and things like Zwift/e-sports etc. that are still more closely aligned with the traditional road cyclist sensibility, vs Peloton, Soulcycle products etc. The pros are starting to race on Zwift now.

Scoff if you will the roads outside aren't getting any safer and I think these areas will continue to grow.

Last edited by MagicHour; 02-06-2019 at 03:31 PM.
Old 02-06-2019, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
Didn't we already go over this in a different thread? it is the Fear of getting hit by cars that is increasing, not the actual reality of the chances of getting hit by cars.
What you say may be true, but the experience of just this one person says that drivers have become more distracted (cell phones?) and more aggressive towards cyclists. In my 40+ years of riding I find myself with my head on a swivel and needing to take evasive action more often. There really aren't too many gravel roads where I need to ride and I prefer nice smooth asphalt in any case.
Old 02-06-2019, 05:59 PM
Randomhead

In a lot of places, they are straightening out all the nice roads and making them safer for drivers. So of course, the drivers just go faster to make it just as dangerous for themselves as it was before. This means that riding on those roads is far less pleasant than it was. I fully understand why people aren't riding on the road as much.

My favorite LBS is mostly groad and mtb with commuter thrown in. They have road bikes too, upstairs. I think the roadies and triathletes go to the spesh shop up the street. But we have awesome gravel and mtb, and the roads are overrun with people commuting long distances to get to their job at Penn State. Pretty much any place within an hour of Penn State is turning into a suburb. It's crazy.
Old 02-06-2019, 07:35 PM

On a happier note, looks like niagaracycle.com is being reborn as thebikeshopstore.com

Thats been my go to spot for cheap stuff.
Old 02-06-2019, 07:40 PM
50 bpm

Drifting this thread back to the original topic, the Performance website will go 404 tonight. We don't know if Amain will bring it back or just bought the customer database.

Today was the official last day at the Chapel Hill HQ. A few of us are sticking around to break down and clean out the business.

Going through one desk today I found a binder containing the first few years of Performance catalogs. Really took me back to when I ordered from them. Even saw one that had the Serotta Performance steel road bikes.

End of an era.
Old 02-06-2019, 07:48 PM
Administrator

I don’t think this is unique to the bike sales biz.

All the above mentioned businesses had a good run right? How many businesses in general stay alive and well through that many years?

Look at Main Street in Anytown USA: probably looks pretty different than it did 15 years ago. We get nostalgic and like the places we know to always be there but times change; they always have and always will.
Old 02-06-2019, 08:06 PM

I just stopped by my local Performance in Scottsdale tonight. Picked up a new helmet and tubes.

I'm sorry to see them go, in my experience with that store, they were always helpful, particularly when I was rebuilding C&V racing bikes and building campus bikes for my sons.

I doubt we will see anything B&M to fill that niche.