Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-24-2008, 03:32 PM
jam

new purpose!

With a Zanc on the way, I've turned my Bianchi 928 into my foul weather ride! Figure that the plastic can take nearly anything. It's a nice ride and now it has a role in life!
JAM
Old 03-24-2008, 03:34 PM
swoop

grant.. clearly you and i are under appreciated and should be hired to consult people and bike companies how to be fabulous. (like it or not.. the bike industry can learn from the fashion industry).

now if i can get herman miller to make lcw chairs in carbon ... the world will be aligned with my deepest desires.
Old 03-24-2008, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swoop
cough. (pilfered from their gallery)
Yow, this thing is pretty ugly. Seven should really stick to what they do best - TITANIUM. Obviously, designing a carbon frame is not their "forte."

If you really want and NEED custom carbon, look to Calfee, Parlee, Crumpton and the newest guy - Brent Ruegamer (a former employee of Craig Calfee!). These guys are the best and can provide you with what you need! Good Luck!
Old 03-24-2008, 04:35 PM
swoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfd
Yow, this thing is pretty ugly. Seven should really stick to what they do best - TITANIUM. Obviously, designing a carbon frame is not their "forte."

If you really want and NEED custom carbon, look to Calfee, Parlee, Crumpton and the newest guy - Brent Ruegamer (a former employee of Craig Calfee!). These guys are the best and can provide you with what you need! Good Luck!

its not just designing a carbon frame... i think that part is pretty easy. i'm thinking that its designing into the frame... a manufacturing process from which you can build 48 to a 62cm bike in every imaginable iteration... and not relying upon engineer level labor to make it so. i think that might be the tricky part. (but don't confuse anything i'm saying for fact).
Old 03-24-2008, 04:44 PM
Fat Robert

Quote:

the final thing i'd want from them is just a working man's ALUMINUM race bike. starship tubing, big ugly welds, functional geo, simple flat primer paint job. let the focus be the materials and the fork and hit a price point where the bike becomes a sensible option. sell then with the tiniest of margins to local clubs... make it a tool rather than a bedroom masterpiece.

rock lobster

just sayin
Old 03-24-2008, 07:37 PM

Quote:
cough. (pilfered from their gallery)
That's Mike Hanseen who owns and runs Canyon Bicycles in Salt Lake City. He was the first ever shipped Diamas and he received it right after the bike show. The custom paint was his choice. He's a really great guy and really good rider.

-Joni
Old 03-24-2008, 07:42 PM

Quote:
its not just designing a carbon frame... i think that part is pretty easy. i'm thinking that its designing into the frame... a manufacturing process from which you can build 48 to a 62cm bike in every imaginable iteration... and not relying upon engineer level labor to make it so. i think that might be the tricky part. (but don't confuse anything i'm saying for fact).
Actually you are closer to fact than you think. In order for Seven to be able to deliver the "One Bike, Yours" process, they had to take great care into the tubes and molds to be able to offer custom, at the level they wanted to. It was a challenge (and yes, I was there in H2O-town for a good part of it.) The first customer bikes began shipping after Interbike. They ride ok. (only can speak on the V.II that I snuck a ride on---though it wasn't spec'd to my 5'2", 118lb body). As carbon bikes go, these bikes run on the heavy side. I love my little Aerios. I love Ti. That said...I want a Mevici!
Old 03-24-2008, 08:06 PM
swoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorj
That's Mike Hanseen who owns and runs Canyon Bicycles in Salt Lake City. He was the first ever shipped Diamas and he received it right after the bike show. The custom paint was his choice. He's a really great guy and really good rider.

-Joni

joni.. what are you doing here??? send me free campy stuff! you know my sizes!!!!! something that will make me look faster... (the new global marketing guy at seven saw me on the bike at a local race a couple of weeks ago and snapped some pictures. made me think of you... i told him how great you and mike were...).

i still get stopped weekly about the bike, still get emails here about it, and its still the best thing i've ever ridden.

Last edited by swoop; 03-24-2008 at 08:10 PM.