Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-21-2017, 07:55 AM

nah brother, just a joke made before someone else made it, implying that perhaps the frames were all damaged by improper clamping (I've followed em all -- i know that's not the case )

And for sure, your tolerance for damage is much higher than the general population of this forum, I'm sure. I'd not venture that any of those would fail immediately or catastrophically -- and if I remember correctly, didn't you use fiber wrap on the waterford?
Old 12-21-2017, 08:13 AM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nooch View Post
and if I remember correctly, didn't you use fiber wrap on the waterford?
whoa...you been paying attention!

Yup.

100% wrapped.

idiot-proof.

You can find it in Lowes or any major hardware stores.

No commission needed.

Old 12-21-2017, 08:17 AM

Several years ago I had a gorgeous Orbea aluminum Cyclocross frame with a small crack in the lower head tube. I happened to notice it after riding and racing it a while, it might have been a consequence of a poorly executed headset installation (one of my first) or maybe was there when I got it used, although in retrospect, it had a non OEM fork, so maybe that was a red flag. Sorry no pics. It was about 1-2 mm. I watched it over about a season and a half of ridng and racing and it never got bigger. I eventually got a different frame, because a gorgeous as that bike was, it just was not a good cross bike. Sold the frame with full disclosure of the crack.
Old 12-21-2017, 08:17 AM
Lanterne rouge

Jeebus^^^^^

That wrap.
Old 12-21-2017, 08:23 AM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicli View Post
Jeebus^^^^^

That wrap.
Cicli pal, you can come over to my house and we can play with it together.

Last edited by weisan; 12-21-2017 at 04:14 PM.
Old 12-21-2017, 08:24 AM

I do appreciate your unwillingness to send beautiful bike frames to the scrap heap. I really do.

But... if we hear you were seriously hurt (or worse) in a bike crash, we couldn't help but wonder...

And we'd miss your presence here.

A lot.
Old 12-21-2017, 08:26 AM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by thwart View Post
I do appreciate your unwillingness to send beautiful bike frames to the scrap heap. I really do.

But... if we hear you were seriously hurt (or worse) in a bike crash, we couldn't help but wonder...

And we'd miss your presence here.

A lot.
thwart pal, does that mean, you care enough that you would let me have your entire bike collection in exchange for getting rid of these broken bikes? You know how much I been eyeing on your inheritance. Just say the word...and I will throw them all out and drive over with a U-haul...TODAY!
Old 12-21-2017, 08:27 AM

I’ve got a mountain bike whee-set you can have cheap.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ringlehub.jpg (139.1 KB, 169 views)
Old 12-21-2017, 08:35 AM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corso View Post
I’ve got a mountain bike whee-set you can have cheap.
You are so kind, corso pal. Unfortunately, there's no room in the inn for your wheel, maybe you can try the manger.

Old 12-21-2017, 08:36 AM

Weisan Pal, not a judgement, but if given the choice between 1 or 2 really nice bikes and a whole collection of broken, dented, mistreated frames, I would much prefer the 1 or 2 nice bikes.
Old 12-21-2017, 08:40 AM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaMtbRider View Post
Weisan Pal, not a judgement, but if given the choice between 1 or 2 really nice bikes and a whole collection of broken, dented, mistreated frames, I would much prefer the 1 or 2 nice bikes.
no judgment at all, I don't sense that coming from you, especially you my friend...I understand.

Here's the thing, PaMtb pal....despite their flaws, they are ALL nice bikes in my eyes. Just because they were born with defects, mistreated or had a mishap before does not completely negate their value or necessarily shorten their lifespan. Again, I know I am speaking out against a wall or mountain of experts here. I am not saying I am smarter than them. What I am saying is...I am willing to take the risk to take them in and adopt them in my house. Lepers are welcome here.
Old 12-21-2017, 09:31 AM
ZhugeLiang

Attached Images
File Type: jpg out.jpg (53.7 KB, 153 views)
File Type: jpg backsoon-300x300.jpg (14.5 KB, 152 views)
Old 12-21-2017, 12:43 PM

Weisan-pal: I am pleased that your "broken" frames give you pleasure. I doubt if any of the steel ones would fail catastrophically without giving you ample warning first. I had an RB-1 that developed a pretty impressive crack in the BB hanger, down tube and seat tube. It let me know long before anything truly awful would have happened.

For my part, I am significantly less willing to continue to use a frame I know is cracked mainly because I am a Large Person (6'3", 260lbs) and figure that my extra size and leverage decreases my margin for error to a point where I'd simply rather not chance it. For example. once I noticed the above-described crack on the RB-1, it was never ridden again.

No judgment, just another perspective.
Old 12-21-2017, 01:16 PM

not enough spacers on waterford
Old 12-21-2017, 02:52 PM
ZhugeLiang

3 1/2 hours of soaking in the sunshine and riding at 78 degrees have done me a lot of good, and helped clear my head. It suddenly occurred to me while I was riding that y'all were absolutely right, that it was utterly and positively insane that I would choose to ride all these broken bikes and knowingly put myself in harms way and potentially get myself seriously injured. I felt such a strong sense of remorse and shame thinking about that, it was very emotional....

and then, I got back to my car. The minute I stopped pedaling and got off the bike (the broken french carbon one, mind you), all the euphoria and endorphin subsided almost immediately, I was rudely awakened back to reality -- oh...crap! All these broken bikes....who is going to take care of them if I just throw them out in the streets. Today is the last "nice weather" day, they are forecasting snow on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, imagine these poor bikes sitting out there exposed to the cold and the wet - Oh no! That won't do. It's too inhumane. I guess I will just keep them a bit longer....