Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-02-2015, 12:09 PM

Seattle Bike Expo & Bob Roll Appreciation thread

The Bike Show was generally a disappointment, but Bobke spoke both days and saved it for me (since I had to be there anyway). I've heard him before in a larger venue, but this one was small and allowed for a long Q&A. Got both my books autographed. If there was ever a pro cyclist that I would like to have a few beers with it would be Bob. I'm glad he has had success as a commentator for NBC Sports.

As for the Expo (?), it was folded in with the Outdoor Travel Show & the Golf Expo, so was diluted to begin with; then the excellent weather this w/e probably convinced others that an all day ride would be a better option. The display of vintage bikes was only a dozen or so.
Old 03-02-2015, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coalfield View Post
.... If there was ever a pro cyclist that I would like to have a few beers with it would be Bob. I'm glad he has had success as a commentator for NBC Sports......
+1
Bob is the man. Got to see/hear him once at a small venue and it was great fun.
Old 03-02-2015, 12:47 PM

I went yesterday morning just as it opened. Yeah, I thought it was a little bit of a let-down -- much smaller. But I did make some good contacts for the Oregon show and for the ride I'm putting on in July.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:49 PM

The classic bke exhibit was much smaller in large part because Jeff Groman wasn't there with his amazing collection of 6 day racers. Bob Freeman only showed a few from his collection now that his bikes are stored at home over 30 miles away. He's showed up with 40 bikes in the past. Thats too tough to do now..

I had an Alex Singer displayed. It was the ratty one parked next to the pristine one that Nelson brought this year.
Old 03-02-2015, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northbend View Post
. I had an Alex Singer displayed. It was the ratty one parked next to the pristine one that Nelson brought this year.
Can't find the right cable to get pics off the camera, but was yours the yellow one with white water bottle, and Brooks pointing 1/2 way to the sky? How people ride them like that is beyond my crotch's understanding. (just kidding) I might have brought one, but nobody likes to look at visibly well used vintage. Very nice bike, btw, I can massively appreciate you collectors for the dedication & attention to detail. Keep up the good work.
Old 03-02-2015, 11:27 PM
Byron

Quote:
The classic bke exhibit was much smaller in large part because Jeff Groman wasn't there with his amazing collection of 6 day racers. Bob Freeman only showed a few from his collection now that his bikes are stored at home over 30 miles away. He's showed up with 40 bikes in the past. Thats too tough to do now..

I had an Alex Singer displayed. It was the ratty one parked next to the pristine one that Nelson brought this year.
Matt,
Is Nelson riding his pristine bike? Pretty is pretty, but that can be had sitting on the sofa - the view from the bike is what matters.
By
Old 03-03-2015, 12:09 AM

Agreed - show was smaller than previous years and generally just ok. I did like the Orfas lights that were being shown. Thinking about getting a set. They use magnets as the holder to the lights and are crazy bright from all angles.
Old 03-03-2015, 03:59 AM
Head to Ned

Here's a shot of Bob standing with my buddy Kevin's Murry 7-Eleven Serotta
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bob wMurry.jpg (111.3 KB, 177 views)
Old 03-03-2015, 05:24 AM

Quote:
I had an Alex Singer displayed.
Ah c'mon. That Alex Singer of yours is absolutely gorgeous.
Old 03-03-2015, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coalfield View Post
Can't find the right cable to get pics off the camera, but was yours the yellow one with white water bottle, and Brooks pointing 1/2 way to the sky?
No, mine was the creme colored one just to the left of the yellow bike.

Byron is right, my bike gets ridden a lot and it shows. I can't be trusted with a 'show bike' but I can admire them just the same. Now if I could just talk Nelson out of his Pitard camping bike....
Old 03-03-2015, 10:20 PM

Does your Singer have the badge on the stem? Did you put it on, or did it come like that?

Bob Roll is awesome.
Old 03-04-2015, 11:38 AM
Head to Ned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post
Does your Singer have the badge on the stem? Did you put it on, or did it come like that?

Bob Roll is awesome.

I was a little tweaked @ Bob when he caved in to the French pronunciation of "Tour de France"
Old 03-04-2015, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post

Bob Roll is awesome.
Yep, I put a madonna d ghisallo on that old fiamme stem.

With the gravel riding I do on that thing I can use extra protection :-)
Old 03-04-2015, 03:22 PM
Administrator

From a thread way back on 08 or so...

You gotta love a guy who will run Spokey-Dokes on his wheels while racing in the tour. Say what you will about Bob Roll, seems he has always been quite the character. According to Davis Phinney, in his book, "Training for Cycling":

Quote:
"One guy that made us the talk of the pack was Bob Roll. I know a few special individuals whom I consider true "One-of-a-kinds." Mike Aisner and Eric Heiden are in that category, but Bob stands at the head of it. He is Bob---the one and only.
Bob comes from Pleasant Hill, California. The first time I went riding with him, he had Spokey-Dokes in his wheels---those plastic round pieces that come in bright colors, fasten to the spokes, and slide out to the rim when you ride. Spokey-Dokes make clacking sounds as the wheels roll. Usually you see these on the wheels of children, but never on wheels of seasoned professionals in Europe. But here was Bob Roll with his Spokey-Dokes, having a good time checking everyones reaction to him and his wheels.
The European way of traveling to a race involves uniformity. Everyone dresses the same, wearing identical team warm-up suits. When we traveled to the 1989 Tour of Sicily, teams flew to the Palermo Airport, with every team decked out in their team uniforms.
Bob walked off the plane wearing black cowboy boots, black leather motorcycle pants, a big brown leather motorcycle jacket with full fringes up and down the sleeves, and a black ten-gallon cowboy hat. He was an eyeful. The european riders couldn't stop staring at him. Italian, Belgian, French, and Swiss riders were all murmuring to themselves in every European language, but you'd keep hearing his name over and over, "Bob" this and "Bob" that.
He had recently discovered roller blades. Upon leaving the plane, he pulled his roller blades out of the backpack he was wearing, strapped up his roller blades, and roller skated around the Palermo airport. This rather excited the local militia. The Carabiniere, seriously on the alert for terrorists, tote automatic rifles that are locked and loaded. A platoon of Carabiniere suddenly ran from every direction to chase after Bob as he glided around. Bob had made another typical Bob entrance.
Bob became famous in Europe during the 1989 Tour of Italy. He rode to the start of a stage to warm up when the rest of us took the team car. For some reason, Bob had been misinformed about the time of the start and arrived early. He sat around the Piazza long before any of the other riders got there. But the sign-in table was set up, and reporters were milling around. They wondered what this 7-Eleven rider in the snakeskin warm-up tights was doing. So they went over and started talking to him. He had the stage all to himself and gave them Bob Roll industrial strength. Wow.
He told them that he is part indian, lives in a tepee, and hunts deer in the winter There he sat, this outlandish individual with a giant feather for an earring, spewing this incredible story, and the jaded cycling press just lapped it up. Feature stories about "Bob Roll, who lives in a tepee..." went all over Europe. I don't think he told a single truth, but it didn't even matter. His fame was set. That's Bob Roll. He can tell any story so well that whether it's true or not is besides the point.
In every sport there is usually someone who is considered an enforcer. You see this in Hockey or basket ball, where one guy might be responsible for making sure that the star players don't get worked over. Well, Bob Roll makes an intimidating enforcer. During the 1990 Tour De France, when Steve Bauer of our team got into a breakaway on the first day and took the race leader's Yellow jersey, Bob filled the roll as enforcer. When Steve had the Yellow Jersey, Bob would sit up at the front of the peloton and glare at the riders in the most intimidating way to discourage anyone from going off the front.
Bob was part of the American character in the European peloton. Maybe he was too much for some guys. But Kiefel and I loved him. Having somone like Bob on the team helped keep us lively, keep us American. He made light of all the silly traditions the Europeans have---the uniformity, and the seriousness that hangs over the sport if you let it. Because the sport is so hard and demanding, the humor tends to be drained from most riders. That's where Bob fit in. He could cut through the tension with his wit. We needed that to survive."

William
Old 03-04-2015, 06:03 PM

That Phinney story is awesome -- thanks for posting.