Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-15-2005, 07:49 PM
Serpico

Question Short Skirts -- post your pics

Hello.

Does anyone have links to a how-to for butchering Brooks saddles. I am looking to butcher a B17.

I have considered getting a swift, but I think it would be too narrow (B17n was too narrow). The skirt on both sides is a bit large for a road saddle, imo.

How do I "chamfer" the edge to make it look clean?

What tools are needed to do this? Is there anyone that will "professionally" butcher a saddle, someone I can mail it to for a reasonable price.

Thanks in advance.

If you have any butcher pics please post.

Last edited by Serpico; 09-15-2005 at 07:53 PM.
Old 09-15-2005, 09:00 PM
Feel the Force

dont do it- the skirts are part of the beauty of the B17- ride it for a while- see what you think- the slice it up if you still want to. I love them skirts

Jason
Old 09-15-2005, 09:00 PM

Try a cobbler shoe cobbler that is. I have a great one close to me that repairs my boots belts birkenstoks ect. They would have the proper tools and equipement to do the job. Frank
Old 09-15-2005, 09:12 PM
Serpico

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by H.Frank Beshear
Try a cobbler shoe cobbler that is. I have a great one close to me that repairs my boots belts birkenstoks ect. They would have the proper tools and equipement to do the job. Frank

excellent suggestion

Thanks
Old 09-15-2005, 09:28 PM
Winded

Serpico

Check this link out. Shows some pretty cool butcher jobs. Now that I have seen them I may have to buy a B17 to hack it up.

http://www.wallbike.com/content/butchering.html

Good luck.
Ted.
Old 09-15-2005, 10:10 PM
its just a bike right

my last name is shoemaker but since i do tattoos and not shoes i don't think i can help you. if you end up modifying your saddle post some pics. i had a swift and then picked up a b-17 which i find more comfortable. ...dave
Old 09-15-2005, 11:17 PM
Serpico

Thumbs up

from wallingford

Old 09-16-2005, 07:29 AM

B-17 Saddle width

Serpico, I ride an Avocet 02 40M, the widest mens saddle I have been able to find. While I am not a large person, 160 lbs., my sit bones are apparently on the wide side. Can you tell me how long, approximately, it would take to break in a B-17, is this the widest of the Brooks saddles? What else have you tried in a wide saddle? Thanks
Old 09-16-2005, 08:44 AM
Feel the Force

quattro- I have now broken in two Brooks- I honestly think I can break one in in about 100 miles- Not to say it isnt great out of the box but after 100 it is perfect.

Speaking of wide sit bones- I origianlly got a Swallow for my incoming Kirk- but it just wasnt wide enough. On paper it is 152mm wide- just about the same as a Flite or an Arione- But in reality you loose almost 5cm of width on a Brooks due to the rear metal plate- so on my Swallow my sit bone would rub the curved part of the plate if I had any side to side movement with my hips. The saddle was perfect if I was in the perfect riding position- but if I sat up to ride no handed or just sat up to ride easy- my sit bones rubbed on the metal plate.

I switched to a B17 and life if wonderful. As a note- you would not think that I have that wide of hips/sit bones. I am 180 lbs (now) and have a 32 waist- but my sit bones (outside to outside) is right at 11 cm- Thats 8 mm too wide to use the Swallow-

I wanted to post this for others who are considering a Brooks but think the 170 mm width of the B17 is too much- its not

Jason

ps too bad you cant up load pix on the site- I got the first pix of my Terraplane during the build stage- Its COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!
Old 09-16-2005, 09:05 AM
Windrider

Hey Dirt.......

If you want to sell that Swallow...PM me..I am interested.

Len

PS I have 2 and they are a perfect fit for me.

"One of the largest obstacles to seeing truth......is wanting something too much."