Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-11-2016, 03:38 PM

techie: Praxis Works press in for BB30 - Shimano triple crankset

Seems Specialized is using these inserts for their gravel bikes. If I wanted to install a Shimano Hollowtech triple crankset (6603) from yesteryear, is there any reason it should not work? If the inserts work on doubles, wouldn't they work on triples? Is chainline an issue?

Last edited by eddief; 11-11-2016 at 03:42 PM.
Old 11-12-2016, 10:33 AM
Old, Fat & Slow

IDK about that specific application, but an adaptor BB is a better bet than the inserts.

Just be warned that if you're running a Synapse or other C-dale, their BB30 BB is BB30*A* and is 5mm wider than a normal BB30. AMHIK I've found ONE company (Kogel, thru here. Thanks again guys!) that makes a BB30A to Shimano 24mm/GXP BB.

FAR fewer problems overall with the right stuff in there than sleeving something down

M
Old 11-14-2016, 06:21 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddief View Post
Seems Specialized is using these inserts for their gravel bikes. If I wanted to install a Shimano Hollowtech triple crankset (6603) from yesteryear, is there any reason it should not work? If the inserts work on doubles, wouldn't they work on triples? Is chainline an issue?
Probably work, but, Small ring clearance to chainstay or enough inward travel of the front der to get the chain onto the small ring may be an issue tho.

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 11-14-2016 at 09:30 AM.
Old 11-14-2016, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee View Post
IDK about that specific application, but an adaptor BB is a better bet than the inserts.

Just be warned that if you're running a Synapse or other C-dale, their BB30 BB is BB30*A* and is 5mm wider than a normal BB30. AMHIK I've found ONE company (Kogel, thru here. Thanks again guys!) that makes a BB30A to Shimano 24mm/GXP BB.
M
Sorry for derail, but MY Cannondale (supersix EVO '15 replacement for a '14) takes a PF30 (!), even with a big BB30 sticker on the downtube. I bought a wheels PF30x24mm shimano BB (not adapter, since the previous wouldn't work) and couldn't be happier. LBS helped tremendously on this made as it made no sense to me.

Last edited by Davist; 11-14-2016 at 07:55 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 11-14-2016, 08:34 AM

all the jargon in this thread shows

what a damn mess has been made with bottom bracket non-standards. No big deal, just a pain in the arse. Sales guy and mechanic at our largest local shop could not answer the questions either.