Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-20-2018, 07:48 AM
Proud Grandpa

Shades of LA7

First reported as police motorcycle causing this but a fan's camera strap puts Nibs out of the TdF.

https://www.velonews.com/2018/07/tou...e-dhuez_472688

http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-n...sh-alpe-dhuez/
Old 07-20-2018, 08:01 AM

With what other sport can stuff like this happen? In baseball they have Steve Bartman and in soccer they have people running around naked but where else can you take out a top competitor with a camera or jacket?
Old 07-20-2018, 09:43 AM

The fans need to police themselves. The next maroon running alongside the leaders could just happen to fall flat on his face if someone stuck their foot out. I'd do it

The smoke bomb thing was new, seemed a little distracting. Any time you get fan interactivity there will be some bad actors. A few weeks ago in USMX, Marvin Musquin got the double bird and an F bomb form a "fan" as he walked back from the podium after winning on more or less July 4. Folks just stood by.

The camera strap that took down Nibbles is an outlier though. Those things happen, sucks as he was riding well in the Tour for the first time in a few years
Old 07-20-2018, 10:16 PM
Randomhead

I wondered if the smoke bombs didn't contribute to this, Nibali had just left the cloud when he caught the strap. I thought the smoke was a really bad idea, but a batch of people seem to have gotten the same bad idea at the same time.

The video that shows the strap is one of the most horrible I have seen. I wonder if the person with the strap got any good pictures. Why not just enjoy the race, there are plenty of great pictures.
Old 07-20-2018, 10:23 PM
Bike Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutgallery View Post

The camera strap that took down Nibbles is an outlier though. Those things happen, sucks as he was riding well in the Tour for the first time in a few years
Wasn’t it something similar, a jacket or such, that took out Sagan during Flanders last year when he was riding well in a possible winning position?
Old 07-20-2018, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovetoclimb View Post
Wasn’t it something similar, a jacket or such, that took out Sagan during Flanders last year when he was riding well in a possible winning position?
Lol.