Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-21-2024, 08:07 AM

Waltly Ti frameset - duty&taxes fron CHN to US

Unfortunately I cannot use the search forum function on my mobile browser to check if this topic has been discussed before.
According to SimplyDuty. com the 980$ value for the frameset I'm getting from Waltly incurs 0$ in duty/taxes.
Can someone who purchased a frameset from China confirm this?
Thanks!
Old 03-21-2024, 08:19 AM

Waltly usually lies on their customs form and says it was under $800 so you won't be charged.

If it's reported at $980 you might be charged 4%, plus whatever fees the shipper adds to act as a customs broker, but there's a good chance it goes through customs without being assessed a duty regardless.
Old 03-21-2024, 03:25 PM

How has the design/buying process been OP? I’ve been thinking about a Waltly.
Old 03-21-2024, 03:33 PM
Randomhead

Not addressing OP, but I have heard you are better off with xacd. Of course, Watlly could have reformed themselves, but they had problems with disappointing people when they got too much attention a few years back.
Old 03-21-2024, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
Not addressing OP, but I have heard you are better off with xacd. Of course, Watlly could have reformed themselves, but they had problems with disappointing people when they got too much attention a few years back.
I've ordered from both, they both generally do good work, they both have a reasonable chance of minor quality control issues. I'd call it a wash.
Old 03-21-2024, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
I've ordered from both, they both generally do good work, they both have a reasonable chance of minor quality control issues. I'd call it a wash.
Do any of them do that “aero” titanium cast molding? I know all of the suppliers for that get their stuff from china, might as well order direct if it’s possible.

I picked up a Bossi Strada when the sole Bossi retailer in the US was dropping them (clearance price). I really enjoy the looks of it, but would like to get something similar but for gravel.

Heavier than normal titanium frames, made in china, no way I’m paying boutique prices for them.
Old 03-21-2024, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
Waltly usually lies on their customs form and says it was under $800 so you won't be charged.

If it's reported at $980 you might be charged 4%, plus whatever fees the shipper adds to act as a customs broker, but there's a good chance it goes through customs without being assessed a duty regardless.
Thanks, that is good to hear!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaghetti Legs View Post
How has the design/buying process been OP? I’ve been thinking about a Waltly.
I knew exactly what I wanted and what bb, fork I was gonna use prior to contacting them, so all the rest was just a matter of making sure one pays a lot of attention to the updated drawings when they are received.
They have the tendency to modify the design when you ask then for something that they don't offer or can't accommodate without letting you know and not mention it.
For example, I asked for the bottle cage mount holes on the seat tube to be moved lower so I could easily fit larger bottles and instead of telling me that the height I asked the cage mounting holes to be moved to is in conflict with the front derailleur clamp, so they just lowered it even more and didn't tell me about it. I almost missed it by assuming it would be moved where I asked. When I brought it to their attention it was a very casual reply that it would conflict with the FD and that's why they decided to lower it further. (it was too low for the bottle cage I intend to use)
Other than it can be difficult to understand the emails sometimes but just asking for clarification usually takes care of that.
In the end I got exactly what I wanted........ so far. We'll see once I have the frame in hand.
Old 03-21-2024, 07:27 PM

Thanks, good info. FWIW, friend of mine has had a Waltly - wide tire rim brake road frame - for a few years and still really enjoys it.