Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-21-2024, 06:48 AM

Long shot: Rival axs for gx axs rear der

Hi Folks,

In short: a friend sent me a "care package" as a surprise. He sent me a 1x group AXS Rival wireless for my mechanical gravel bike. He's a die-hard gravel rider, we've known each other for over 20 years, and he has a side business selling/buying parts.

My gravel bike was purchased used, but has quick release wheels, which limits my choice of cassette: 11x50 12 speed Eagle will fit, and a Shimano 11-34 will also fit.

Having a 11-34 cassette on a 1x gravel bike makes no sense where I live (New England).

The 11-50 cassette would be the proper choice, but the AXS Rival rear der won't clear it (cassette is too big and the rival limit is like 36t), limiting the use to 11 speeds.

I spoke at length at my LBS about all possible choices, and what makes the most sense is a new GX AXS Rear derailleur.

If I lived in FL or some flat-ish state, I'd get the 11-34 and call it a day.

So I'll ask, as a long shot: is there anyone willing to swap a GX AXS rear der for a Rival AXS? The rear der is in *really* good shape.

Or if you have other ideas, I'd appreciate it.

The wheelset on the bike is a marvelous Chris King hubs, first gen 11 speed w shimano/sram spline (NOT micro spline), laced w HED Ardennes rims, tubeless. It's quite the set. Replacing the hub innards is prohibitivelly expensive, and results aren't promising. The hub set is quick release.

Please let's be civil and constructive. I do gravel a few times a year, am primarily a roadie, and am currently unemployed. So big $$ adventures are off. As it is I'm selling a bunch of stuff to pay for this.

Thanks Guys.

Gus
Old 03-21-2024, 06:51 AM

Is the rival derailleur the regular road version or the xplr version. If the latter, you can use an 11-44 cassette like this. https://www.biketiresdirect.com/prod...ette?v=1144CST
Old 03-21-2024, 07:24 AM

I used these to extend my shimano GRX to 50 tooth:

https://www.garbaruk.com/sram-12-speed-axs-rd-cage.html

Expensive, but they get the job done well. I linked the SRAM road AXS, I would contact garbaruk and make sure it’s compatible. Then maybe looks for a used one? You may be able to just purchase the cage as well to extend the range (no oversized pulleys needed, that would be like $75 I think). But I would confirm with garbaruk

I picked up a CeramicSpeed cage for like $50. Fingers crossed there’s a good deal out there on eBay or something.

Last edited by Shane4XC; 03-21-2024 at 07:26 AM.
Old 03-21-2024, 07:25 AM

I think you probably want this in classifieds for max productive exposure.
Old 03-21-2024, 09:58 AM
SageOfMilwaukee

edit: wrong trade
Have a like new rival 36t rd to trade but you need a GX
Old 03-21-2024, 10:30 AM

With the help of a Wolf Tooth road link or maybe a Gator link the rival RD should clear a 50 and it has a 40t wrap capacity. Officially, the minimum wrap is 39, but there has to be some extra because chain length is never perfect.

I have bikes that I've used with a 46/30 crank and 10-44 XPLR cassette with a 36t capacity RD just by adding a road link and using sequential mode. Running 1x, you'll need a narrow/wide chain ring to match your chain.

There may be info at cycleschinook.com

Last edited by Dave; 03-21-2024 at 11:33 AM.
Old 03-21-2024, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
Is the rival derailleur the regular road version or the xplr version. If the latter, you can use an 11-44 cassette like this. https://www.biketiresdirect.com/prod...ette?v=1144CST
This is the answer. I'm using two on old 135mm/QR bikes and it's great to have AXS on them.