Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-18-2024, 10:58 AM
Boeuf Chaîne

OT: Any Wazers out there?

I was thinking of adding Waze to my phone apps, and did some quick searching online to inform myself, only to discover that in the default mode it shows your location on other users' maps.

You can turn this off by "going invisible," but it wasn't at all clear if that was a permanent setting or if one had to do that at the start of every session, which would be a pita. Furthermore, doing so disables a number of other features that have nothing to do with whether of not others can see you. (obviously the system should still be able to provide you with nearly all of it's functionality whether or not your location appears on other people's maps). The whole thing sounded fishy to me, and I interpret the intentional downgrade to mean that Waze doesn't want you to go invisible, which really turned me off the whole thing.

I might have misinterpreted what I saw, or perhaps what I read was wrong or outdated. Would any current users care to clarify the whole privacy issue?

TIA

Last edited by Louis; 03-18-2024 at 11:09 AM.
Old 03-18-2024, 11:44 AM
Back At It!

I've found Apple Maps to be better for me and, it seems, they are just as good as Waze when it comes to re-routing, etc.. I like that Apple Maps is better when you have a couple of lights or stop signs together.. it will tell you things like "go through this light and turn at the next one".. that is super helpful in cities, etc..
Old 03-18-2024, 12:00 PM

It’s been awhile since I used it having switched to mostly Apple Maps since it integrates better with my car, but I always was set to invisible and only set it once in the settings. Every app feature I needed worked in that mode.
Old 03-18-2024, 12:08 PM
I need you cool.

I use Waze....it is good. Never used Apple Maps so can't compare.
I think you can set the default to invisible...I should probably check

Checked: Once set it stays at "invisible"....under "Privacy" settings

I have never noticed any decrease in functionality......what are you seeing that you lose?

Last edited by Ozz; 03-18-2024 at 12:13 PM.
Old 03-18-2024, 12:10 PM

To what end?

Between Apple Maps (my default) and Google Maps (if Apple Maps shows me something strange), I haven't seen the need to use Waze. Many years ago, it was better than other options, but Google and Apple seem to have caught up.
Old 03-18-2024, 12:18 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
Checked: Once set it stays at "invisible"....under "Privacy" settings

I have never noticed any decrease in functionality......what are you seeing that you lose?
1) Re: stays at "invsible" - good - thanks for the info.

2) From Google: "Note: When invisible, you can't send reports, add or edit places on the map, or send messages to friends and other Wazers."

You probably didn't notice because you haven't tried to do any of those things. (which I might not want to do either)
Old 03-18-2024, 12:24 PM
I need you cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
1) Re: stays at "invsible" - good - thanks for the info.

2) From Google: "Note: When invisible, you can't send reports, add or edit places on the map, or send messages to friends and other Wazers."

You probably didn't notice because you haven't tried to do any of those things. (which I might not want to do either)
I have not done any of those things...

Waze does a good job finding routes and the travel time estimates are pretty much spot on....these are what I really care about....the "alternate route" selection can be unsettling sometimes....crossing Snoqualmie Pass a few years ago it had me get off I-90 and wind my way around back road between Cle Elum and the pass....had never been on those roads before so had no idea where it was taking me....got back on 90 and saved me about 30 minutes of freeway gridlock...and I saw some new scenary!
Old 03-18-2024, 12:39 PM

Waze works just fine for me, though I don't just follow it blindly. I verify where it wants to take me...
Old 03-18-2024, 02:03 PM

Waze sometimes gives odd routing.

I run Google Maps for routing and Waze simultaneously for the extra reporting. Even if you're driving the speed limit always, the safety reporting is worth having. There are almost always more users making reports on Waze than on any other platform.

Apple Maps is still the joke of the industry after 10+ years.
Old 03-18-2024, 02:47 PM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice rocket View Post
Apple Maps is still the joke of the industry after 10+ years.
they still have better prompts then the others when in congested streets IMHO.. and they've never done me wrong in either downtown Seattle or San Francisco..
Old 03-18-2024, 03:52 PM

Don't forget that google owns Waze.

Waze gained a lot of functionality after being bought by google just because of the extra data it was getting. As I understand it, location tracking is ON by default in Android phones and that lets google (and, by extension, Waze) determine slowdowns in traffic patterns in real time.

I check Waze regularly in Seattle just to make sure that there aren't any unexpected changes in traffic. I'll often turn it off after checking my initial route, but not always.
Old 03-18-2024, 04:00 PM
I need you cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhespenheide View Post
Don't forget that google owns Waze.

Waze gained a lot of functionality after being bought by google just because of the extra data it was getting. As I understand it, location tracking is ON by default in Android phones and that lets google (and, by extension, Waze) determine slowdowns in traffic patterns in real time.

I check Waze regularly in Seattle just to make sure that there aren't any unexpected changes in traffic. I'll often turn it off after checking my initial route, but not always.
This sounds right...but almost all these systems get their data from a company called INRIX....so they should all be similar in accuracy.
Old 03-18-2024, 04:17 PM

The only time I use Waze is on trips to know location of police.
For traffic I like Sigalert
Old 03-18-2024, 05:34 PM

I use it all the time, even if I know how to get there.
Of course, it's tracking me. That's how it works. If random people care enough to follow me, I guess they can, but it is not on my list of things to worry about today.
Old 03-18-2024, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
I was thinking of adding Waze to my phone apps, and did some quick searching online to inform myself, only to discover that in the default mode it shows your location on other users' maps.

You can turn this off by "going invisible," but it wasn't at all clear if that was a permanent setting or if one had to do that at the start of every session, which would be a pita. Furthermore, doing so disables a number of other features that have nothing to do with whether of not others can see you. (obviously the system should still be able to provide you with nearly all of it's functionality whether or not your location appears on other people's maps). The whole thing sounded fishy to me, and I interpret the intentional downgrade to mean that Waze doesn't want you to go invisible, which really turned me off the whole thing.

I might have misinterpreted what I saw, or perhaps what I read was wrong or outdated. Would any current users care to clarify the whole privacy issue?

TIA
I swear by Waze and Apple CarPlay, and my Valentine One radar detector and the V1Driver app on my iPhone.

My understanding is that for privacy and security reasons, Waze does not show exact locations of drivers, and there is lag. It is helpful to know if here are other Wazers that have traveled ahead of you so you know that a road has been scoped out.

Last edited by djg21; 03-18-2024 at 06:47 PM.