Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-18-2024, 02:02 PM

After taking kids to Washington, DC a couple times to see all the sights and museums, couldn’t imagine how you find time and energy for a bike ride. Last time we stayed in Chrystal City on train line. Worked out good.

Last edited by Ralph; 03-18-2024 at 02:07 PM.
Old 03-18-2024, 02:50 PM

Oh yeah, stay near the Metro line. You can get to most places by rail. Note that the system map isn't to scale and doesn't indicate travel time between stations - there are separate calculators to give you ETAs.

Crystal City & Reagan National Metro stops are a quick hop into the city.

If you stay downtown, check the hotel's parking fees - they can be pricey. I think last time I stayed overnight, it was something ridiculous like $75/night (but this was the Marriott connected to the convention center, so probably highest fees in the area).
Old 03-18-2024, 03:07 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
Oh yeah, stay near the Metro line. You can get to most places by rail. Note that the system map isn't to scale and doesn't indicate travel time between stations - there are separate calculators to give you ETAs.

Crystal City & Reagan National Metro stops are a quick hop into the city.

If you stay downtown, check the hotel's parking fees - they can be pricey. I think last time I stayed overnight, it was something ridiculous like $75/night (but this was the Marriott connected to the convention center, so probably highest fees in the area).
The MUT next to the 14th street bridge isn't *that* far from Crystal City. Ex GF lived in one of the higher rise apartment building in Crystal City. I'd run down to the Pentagon and over a bit then back by basically the southern end of Crystal City when I visited her, so there's ways to get around on foot too. Metro is easier. Maybe a hair faster. Definitely more air conditioned once the weather finally turns.

It's been a while since we broke up. I could be mis-remembering how far that really was. Dunno

M
Old 03-18-2024, 05:40 PM

Easiest way: Get on RWGPS and type in where you are staying (G-town, Rosslyn, etc) and you'll have too many routes to do.
Local shops often have weekend rides
Not paying attention, so if that is Cherry Blossom time (and my tree just popped, so I'm guess yes) you do NOT want to ride anywhere downtown or near Haines Point if you want "serious" riding. Close in paths (W&OD, Mt Vernon, C&O) are awful on nice weekends, CB Festival week is even worse. MacArthur was mentioned, and is a good way out of the city. You'll find a lot of routes that use it on RWGPS.
Old 03-18-2024, 06:48 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by makoti View Post
Easiest way: Get on RWGPS and type in where you are staying (G-town, Rosslyn, etc) and you'll have too many routes to do.
Local shops often have weekend rides
Not paying attention, so if that is Cherry Blossom time (and my tree just popped, so I'm guess yes) you do NOT want to ride anywhere downtown or near Haines Point if you want "serious" riding. Close in paths (W&OD, Mt Vernon, C&O) are awful on nice weekends, CB Festival week is even worse. MacArthur was mentioned, and is a good way out of the city. You'll find a lot of routes that use it on RWGPS.
The cherry blossom leaf peepers are more oblivious to cyclists than normal.

M
Old 03-18-2024, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Erides
Not paying attention, so if that is Cherry Blossom time (and my tree just popped, so I'm guess yes) you do NOT want to ride anywhere downtown or near Haines Point if you want "serious" riding. Close in paths (W&OD, Mt Vernon, C&O) are awful on nice weekends, CB Festival week is even worse.
Peak bloom just hit - by april it will be back to "normal" down there.
Old 03-18-2024, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .RJ View Post
Peak bloom just hit - by april it will be back to "normal" down there.
The trees and the festival don't always coincide. As long as the festival is going on, it'll be nuts
https://nationalcherryblossomfestiva...estival-dates/
Old 03-19-2024, 07:18 AM

Quote:
The trees and the festival don't always coincide. As long as the festival is going on, it'll be nuts
https://nationalcherryblossomfestiva...estival-dates/
Thats true.

I generally avoid that area anyways, I have no idea how you guys go ride Hains Point with all the tour busses and tourists and cars and whatnot. It just seems like madness. I really wish that loop was closed to cars.
Old 03-19-2024, 07:46 AM

Thank you for this thread. I'll be in Arlington in May for a work trip and plan to hit some of the trails mentioned. This info is helpful.
Old 03-19-2024, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russd32 View Post
Thank you for this thread. I'll be in Arlington in May for a work trip and plan to hit some of the trails mentioned. This info is helpful.
IF you have a car, and IF you ride gravel, and IF you don't mind an hour drive to get there, VeloPigs every Saturday from Leesburg is a very friendly group that will show you around some of the best gravel the area has.
Old 03-19-2024, 09:16 AM

Quote:
IF you have a car, and IF you ride gravel, and IF you don't mind an hour drive to get there, VeloPigs every Saturday from Leesburg is a very friendly group that will show you around some of the best gravel the area has.
And if you're interesting in a weekday ride on gravel in the DC exurbs, there a ton of options out of Leesburg and Middleburg VA. Easy to string together 30-80 mile rides with >80% gravel. RidewithGPS should have a bunch, or a few of us can point you in the right direction if you want.
Old 03-19-2024, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
And if you're interesting in a weekday ride on gravel in the DC exurbs, there a ton of options out of Leesburg and Middleburg VA. Easy to string together 30-80 mile rides with >80% gravel. RidewithGPS should have a bunch, or a few of us can point you in the right direction if you want.
Thanks to you both. I won't have a car or a bike with me. I also don't know exactly how much time I'll have to explore, so I plan to just grab a bikeshare rig as time allows. Won't be going for speed, just getting out and about to see some sights in my favorite way.
Old 03-19-2024, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russd32 View Post
Thanks to you both. I won't have a car or a bike with me. I also don't know exactly how much time I'll have to explore, so I plan to just grab a bikeshare rig as time allows. Won't be going for speed, just getting out and about to see some sights in my favorite way.
Good plan.

https://capitalbikeshare.com

That's the main (only?) bike share in DC and surrounding area.
Old 03-19-2024, 11:49 AM

What size do you ride?
Old 03-19-2024, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccardr View Post
What size do you ride?
Typically 56-57