Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-18-2024, 02:32 AM

Update:

So I rode the bike this weekend. It handles beautifully and isn't at all harsh with 28s. That said, when I went to fit a small mudguard, it was obvious that wasn't going to fit with my existing tyres. I also noticed a very tiny ding on one seatstay.

So, after a long and productive phone chat with the builder last night, it's going back to him for a new rear triangle.

In the end we both agreed that it was pointless for me to keep a bike that isn't what I ordered, and we likewise agreed that he'd need to find another 5-6mm of clearance to meet the original brief, which wasn't a (safely) realistic modification of the existing stays.

A refund was discussed, which he said he would reluctantly agree to if I insisted, but he was very keen to have the chance to make the bike right, and offered, without being asked,a few small sweeteners. He's also offered me his demo/loaner bike for the duration of the repair if I want it.*

In the end, given I hope to keep this for at least 5 years, and his obvious desire to sort the problem out, I've opted to give him that chance.

Thanks all for the advice.

*it's half a size too big, but with a stem change would probably work, and it's got a Classified setup, which I've always been curious about, so I may take it just for the experience.
Old 03-18-2024, 05:58 AM

I'm glad you and the builder could have an open and meaningful discussion and agree to a way forward. Sounds very civil of you both, and should result in a win-win long term.
Old 03-18-2024, 08:30 AM

I'm glad you were able to come to a compromise and that you're giving the builder a chance to make things right.

I think that the new RT is the option I would have suggested as well and I hope it ends up working out well for you both!
Old 03-18-2024, 08:32 AM

Buying a custom bike is always a gamble, and builders can't always get things perfectly.

This builder seems to be making a good faith effort to make things right, and I think that's worth a lot.
Old 03-18-2024, 10:03 AM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
Buying a custom bike is always a gamble, and builders can't always get things perfectly.

This builder seems to be making a good faith effort to make things right, and I think that's worth a lot.
Old 03-18-2024, 10:24 AM

Well done.
Old 03-18-2024, 10:45 AM

Good to hear you've agreed on a solution, and that it rides great.

I think the cost arrangement puts both parties in an awkward position when there's an issue like this. I wouldn't want to be caught between asking a builder to go in the red correcting it, having a bike that isn't what I wanted, or paying more than I planned, so personally I wouldn't want a builder working at cost but would probably choose the last option in this situation.

In any event I hope you end up with a great bike that meets your goals for a good value, and you ride it well!
Old 03-18-2024, 05:11 PM

I will confess to being custom-obsessed and I always ask builders to locate seat tube bottle cage bosses lower than normal (I ask that the bosses straddle the front derailleur clamp or braze-on) because my knees always hit the bottle if the cage is in the traditional spot. Although I always ask, about half my custom frames have seat tube bottle bosses too high. This has happened in frames with horizontal and sloping top tubes from top 10 US custom builders. I don't regard this issues as worth complaining, as the workmanship is outstanding and the bikes ride great, but this makes me stop more often to refill the bottle on long rides, which is annoying at times.
Old 03-18-2024, 05:28 PM
Randomhead

Funny you should mention bottle bosses. I also want them as low as possible because of knock knees and flabby calves. On my travel bike, I positioned them perfectly, or so I thought. And then realized that S&S couplers are actually rather thick, so now I modified a king cage to raise the bottle 1/2"

King cage makes riser cages, and lowering cages. And the Wolftooth morse cage has multiple options. It's a pretty common issue
Old 03-18-2024, 06:08 PM

Thank you. Great to know. Silca ti cages have a long slot allowing one to move the cage up and down more than you can a typical cage, but I'll take a look at King's offerings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
Funny you should mention bottle bosses. I also want them as low as possible because of knock knees and flabby calves. On my travel bike, I positioned them perfectly, or so I thought. And then realized that S&S couplers are actually rather thick, so now I modified a king cage to raise the bottle 1/2"

King cage makes riser cages, and lowering cages. And the Wolftooth morse cage has multiple options. It's a pretty common issue

Last edited by Waldo62; 03-18-2024 at 06:17 PM.
Old 03-18-2024, 06:08 PM

I hope the OP reports back with their repaired frame so we can hear how things went.
Old 03-18-2024, 07:40 PM

Details matter.

I once sent a custom frame back because the rear tire clearance was materially out of spec. The builder agreed it was not right and promptly fixed it.
I sent another back for revision because the fender eyelets were missing.

There are some details I would let slide, but tire clearance isn't one of them.

Instagram