Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-15-2024, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmeishmael View Post
Road quality is, ahem, mixed. Generally the roads in the UK are pretty poor, especially rural ones, and they have noticeably declined in the last decade.
I've spent some time in Scotland, not quite the same as England, but road quality is similar. But, loads of gravel, farm track, and trails, so a burly gravel bike, mostercross, or fast hardtail would make a nice do-it-all.
Old 03-15-2024, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duff_duffy View Post
I’d go option 2, get it done the way you wanted. Not sure what you paid, but 20% off frame price that was not built as you wanted seems silly to take. Option 3 might be ok but again with option 1 being available I’d do that
+1. I'd want just what was specified; being able to throw 32s on with fair clearance seems nice to have in your back pocket on the bike. I'd wait the 6 weeks and figure something else out for the event if possible.
Old 03-15-2024, 09:59 AM
Vendor

I'd take option #2. Get what you originally wanted. On option #3, my concern is that the builder - especially someone starting out - may not know how far a tube can be crimped and manipulated. The bike might be fine for the first few thousand miles, but then develop cracks afterwards. On option #1, I'd probably forget about the discount over the years, but it'd forever bug me knowing I didn't get what I originally wanted and I'd get a sharp reminder of that anytime I went to put in a 32.
Old 03-15-2024, 10:02 AM

This^^^

THIS^^^

The other thing to consider about a new rear triangle is the experience level of the builder. Do you want someone who has not built a ton of frames to cut apart a frame and put a new rear triangle on. Things can go wrong...

True story- In the 90's I had a nice custom Columbus ELOS frame. I crashed it and had a different builder replace the toptube. I did this because the original builder was busy, it was June and I wouldn't have gotten the repair back until late fall.
So I had another builder replace the toptube. This builder is now a legend, but in the 90's he was just getting going. Most of his experience was in a particular type of hardtail (mine was a road bike with pretty thin wall tubing).
When I got the bike back it looked perfect. Part of that was that he used the same painter. But he ovalized the seatube, and the bike rode like a pile- It was not longer straight.
Lesson learned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadmax View Post
Option 4

Full refund and find another builder.

When someone shows you what they're capable of, or not; believe them the first time.
Old 03-15-2024, 10:14 AM

Quote:
I'm in the Chiltern Hills, about 40 miles NW of London: https://www.chilterns.org.uk/

Road quality is, ahem, mixed. Generally the roads in the UK are pretty poor, especially rural ones, and they have noticeably declined in the last decade.

I'm doing the Fred Whitton (in the Lake District) in May, and I'm targeting sub 7 hours, which will be...interesting. I've done it a couple of times, and I'd still say it's the best (and hardest) sportive I've ever done, and that includes the Etape.

The Italian alps remain my favourite place to ride a bike in Europe, though if you want quiet, good quality roads, nice weather and challenging terrain, Spain is hard to beat IME.
Whoo boy….forget about tire size. I hope you’re geared correctly. Hardknott Pass! 😅
Old 03-15-2024, 10:30 AM

Something to consider: My 700x28 labeled Panaracers measure 30mm on my Light Bicycle carbon rims* (rim brake). All of the tires on my disc rims measure wider than the labeled size to some degree. A tubeless setup generally produces a wider tire than using an innertube.

It's more likely than not that whatever tires you run going forward will measure at or wider than the labeled width. So, if your new or corrected frame can accept a tire no wider than 32mm are you going to have to purchase 700x30 tires? It wasn't long ago that those didn't even exist and there aren't a whole lot to choose from now.

I can understand most of the positions taken in this thread, but perhaps having the builder do what he can with regard to additional crimping/dimpling and getting the frame on the road now is the best option for you and the builder.

*bike is second hand and I don't know the internal width as I haven't had the tires off yet.
Old 03-15-2024, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
I've spent some time in Scotland, not quite the same as England, but road quality is similar. But, loads of gravel, farm track, and trails, so a burly gravel bike, mostercross, or fast hardtail would make a nice do-it-all.
And from my experience last fall in Wales and the Peak District - don't forget the sheep crap on the trails and roads. Loads of crap. And when it rains...just be sure your bike has, er, mudguards.
Old 03-15-2024, 11:03 AM

I'd opt for option #2 if you trust him.

If you take option #1 you'll always hate the frame because it isn't what you ordered.
If you take option #3 you won't get enough gained clearance and might compromise the tubing too.

The builder is being fair. Things happen. He has offered to make you the frame you ordered with a small delay. I wouldn't expect a discount. I would expect return shipping covered but not a dealbreaker. Do you trust him? Do you know where he is located? I just mention this because some builders disappear especially if they're pressed against a wall. I heard a recent story about a paid Gaulzetti frame that was returned for the wrong paint color and it just disappeared along with the builder (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showp...2&postcount=17)

Even if he squishes the current rear end to give you 2 more mm that overall isn't enough and might compromise the tubing. I think you should aim for 5-6 mm of clearance with the max tire desired "as measured" i.e. a tire that actually measures 32 mm (be that a 700x30 measuring wide or a 700x33 measuring narrow or whatnot).

Last edited by Pegoready; 03-15-2024 at 11:10 AM.
Old 03-15-2024, 02:14 PM

Oh boy what a downer

Personally I’d say with races coming up just race the hell out of it if you’re happy with race day clearance and worry about guards etc over a pint ,if you go for a partial re-build get some advice [not off your builder]about how happy XCR is about being reheated and /or crimped again .As a fellow Brit I’am happy to give him a huge shout out for doing the Whitton ,this event and the Dragon Ride in Wales [still run ?] are the original two hardest UK sportives just huge distance non stop up and down on some of hardest passes the country has ,every other ‘hard’ sportive here is trying to copy them ,he’ll know about the sheep if they’re not on the road they’re the folk watching
Old 03-15-2024, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
Whoo boy….forget about tire size. I hope you’re geared correctly. Hardknott Pass! 😅
Yup... from last year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7144.jpg (88.5 KB, 238 views)
Old 03-15-2024, 02:55 PM

What can the front fork handle?
Old 03-15-2024, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Yup... from last year.
Whoa! I presume this isn’t an optical illusion.
Old 03-15-2024, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERK55 View Post
Whoa! I presume this isn’t an optical illusion.
No - that section of road touches 33%. It is unspeakably hideous
Old 03-15-2024, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddybikes View Post
What can the front fork handle?
32 - it's a Whiskey.
Old 03-15-2024, 06:39 PM

Quote:
No - that section of road touches 33%. It is unspeakably hideous
For me (as Hall & Oates would say)
No can do.