Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-03-2021, 11:43 AM

Idk

I don't know...some protected bike lanes are okay...

No glass or trash, only the occasional coyote to watch out for...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2021-01-03 at 12.42.26 PM.jpg (44.9 KB, 164 views)
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 01-03-2021, 12:16 PM
what's a little rust?

No one piece of bike infrastructure is effective without a plan that is actually followed. In Seattle, the Bicycle Master Plan is being used as a whale carcass that sharky local pols can chomp on when it’s expedient for them. We will never see the full benefit of a city-wide plan because it will never be realized.

Meanwhile, police officers sweep the debris from car collisions into bike lanes and consider the job done.
Old 01-03-2021, 12:24 PM

This made me think of the bike lane on Venice Blvd here in LA - it's the absolute worst bike lane I've ever experienced and I'd rather ride in the road there. It's "protected," but it's spaced so far from the road lanes and has parked cars between the road and the bike lane with right turn lanes that collide with the bike lane and nearly no notice for drivers.

LA has repeated this mistake with similarly terrible bike lanes all throughout DTLA.
Old 01-03-2021, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
The Netherlands. Drivers have strict liability in a crash with cyclists. Definitely changes how you drive if you're on the hook for an accident by default.

https://www.cvbnlaw.com/2012/04/19/c...united-states/
... and my homeland Belgium - decades ago.
Old 01-03-2021, 01:26 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by martl View Post
Looking at the Netherlands, where the concept seems to kinda work, i notice that they work because <snip> the concept has been in place for 40+ years now, so everyone learned to ride/drive with them.
This was my main thought regarding @FlashUNC's post -- that the benefit of changing liability laws will take a very long time to yield results, as new drivers instructed with this in mind gradually displace drivers with decades of ingrained behavior on the road. Not in any way an argument against making such a change, just recognizing that the time to payoff in cyclist safety and reduction in incidents will be lengthy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinned View Post
This made me think of the bike lane on Venice Blvd here in LA
The experience that triggered my OP was on the "protected" lane on Broadway in Santa Monica. A couple of months ago, on the same stretch, someone had parked their car in the lane .

Another shortcoming of this design: drivers approaching the road with the lane on an intersecting street typically don't come to a full stop and nose their way into the intersection as they examine the flow of traffic. With cyclists in the flow of normal traffic this isn't a problem because there's plenty of space for them to stop once they see the rider, but with cyclists right up against the curb there's less room for them to react.

As usual, and expected, lots of thoughtful responses, which I appreciate. It's clear that any improvements will take a long time and require our own civic engagement, sometimes at odds with others who consider themselves cycling advocates.
Old 01-03-2021, 02:05 PM
Tired Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgolvin View Post
The experience that triggered my OP was on the "protected" lane on Broadway in Santa Monica. A couple of months ago, on the same stretch, someone had parked their car in the lane .
There are a couple blocks of that area of Broadway that are crap. Most of them are good, however.

I think I might have seen the same car there.
Old 01-03-2021, 03:21 PM

Quote:
This was my main thought regarding @FlashUNC's post -- that the benefit of changing liability laws will take a very long time to yield results, as new drivers instructed with this in mind gradually displace drivers with decades of ingrained behavior on the road. Not in any way an argument against making such a change, just recognizing that the time to payoff in cyclist safety and reduction in incidents will be lengthy.

Another shortcoming of this design: drivers approaching the road with the lane on an intersecting street typically don't come to a full stop and nose their way into the intersection as they examine the flow of traffic. With cyclists in the flow of normal traffic this isn't a problem because there's plenty of space for them to stop once they see the rider, but with cyclists right up against the curb there's less room for them to react.

As usual, and expected, lots of thoughtful responses, which I appreciate. It's clear that any improvements will take a long time and require our own civic engagement, sometimes at odds with others who consider themselves cycling advocates.
I'll take efforts at changing driver behavior, even with a potentially longer tail, over useless infrastructure projects that don't make anyone safer.
Old 01-03-2021, 03:37 PM

Quote:
I'll take efforts at changing driver behavior, even with a potentially longer tail, over useless infrastructure projects that don't make anyone safer.
Absolutely: something in the culture has to change. Legislation might jump-start it.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
Old 01-03-2021, 03:38 PM
DELETE ACCNT

at least in CA, you don't have to use the bike lane. No violation to be in the roadway.

You don’t have to use the “protected bike lane.” Once a bike lane is separated from moving traffic with posts or car parking or anything else, it’s no longer a “bike lane” according to the law; it’s a “separated bikeway.” CVC 21208 does not apply. You may ride outside of the separated bikeway for any reason. (SHC 890.4d)

Quote:
From now on I'm riding on the street side of the parked cars. I'm willing to chance a ticket rather than my safety.
Old 01-03-2021, 04:39 PM
Tired Member

Quote:
Part of the problem with this section of road is that it starts out as an sharrow, then changes to a sharrow in both lanes, then there is a bike lane, then there are these weird bollard thingies, and then it goes back to a bike lane:
https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0127...18.4972928,17z
This is Broadway from Ocean to about 26th.

It's inconsistent: it confuses drivers and causes problems with cyclists.

Last edited by tctyres; 01-03-2021 at 04:41 PM.
Old 01-03-2021, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tctyres View Post
Part of the problem with this section of road is that it starts out as an sharrow, then changes to a sharrow in both lanes, then there is a bike lane, then there are these weird bollard thingies, and then it goes back to a bike lane:

Yes. This. Bike lanes are a mixed bag. At best. I live near a very steep hill in Oakland. The City recently “improved” the street to make it more bike friendly. So there’s a wide bike lane.

The problem is two-fold. The steepness of the hill freaks out many cyclists, so they clutch their brakes while inching down the hill. They use the
“bike lane.” The issue is that the “bike lane” morphs into an area next to a park where plenty of cars are. So, suddenly, the cyclists have to veer out of the bike lane into the “regular” lane, which is dangerous.

They’d be better off in the middle of the road, much less at risk. Where they belong.
Old 01-03-2021, 05:54 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by tctyres View Post

It's only a problematic area of six blocks, where the separated portion exists, the rest is fine … well, 'fine' to the extent of your tolerance of a painted bike lane, but at least there are none of the atypical visibility issues.

Quote:
Agreed, just a matter of setting expectations. And, in the case of these protected lanes, the projects aren't just useless but actually decrease safety for cyclists and increase the probability of incidents (that's my opinion, not claiming to base it on actual data).
Old 01-03-2021, 06:00 PM

Now this was doing is right (one thing) in Providence:
Old 01-03-2021, 06:18 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveandbarb1 View Post
Now this was doing is right (one thing) in Providence:
(not sure why the image didn't take, here's the link)

http://www.gcpvd.org/wp-content/uplo...inear-park.jpg
Old 01-03-2021, 06:24 PM
Rock Hard ~ Ride Free

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveandbarb1 View Post
"...Now this was doing is right..."
That pic shows what appears to be countless opportunities for collisions with pedestrians, kids playing, skaters, dogs on retractable leashes, vendors selling food from carts, and anything else one might encounter in a popular playground. I will take my chances with cars!