Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-21-2020, 07:46 PM

School me on disc road wheels

Looking to pick up a disc emonda sl5 or sl6 at the end of February when my LBS has their annual customer appreciation sale. This will be my first disc bike after many rim brake bikes.

I am trying to decide if the sl6 is worth the extra $650 for the ultegra and better bontrager wheels/finishing bits over the 105 of the sl5.

I would use the bike for a little bit of everything, daily rider, group rides, solo centuries, even local triathlons.
It would see only pavement, no dirt or gravel.

If i went with the 105 what would be a decent disc road wheel to upgrade to? Either off the shelf or hand built would be ok with me around 5-700 dollars.
I am just totally oblivious as to what wheels are for cx or road and the same with hubs and hoops?
Old 01-21-2020, 08:47 PM

The newest Carbon Bontrager wheels have been getting good reviews and I plan to give them a try. Project one bikes are getting a $500 rebate for the month of Jan from Trek.
Old 01-22-2020, 06:10 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcgill View Post
Looking to pick up a disc emonda sl5 or sl6 at the end of February when my LBS has their annual customer appreciation sale. This will be my first disc bike after many rim brake bikes.

I am trying to decide if the sl6 is worth the extra $650 for the ultegra and better bontrager wheels/finishing bits over the 105 of the sl5.

I would use the bike for a little bit of everything, daily rider, group rides, solo centuries, even local triathlons.
It would see only pavement, no dirt or gravel.

If i went with the 105 what would be a decent disc road wheel to upgrade to? Either off the shelf or hand built would be ok with me around 5-700 dollars.
I am just totally oblivious as to what wheels are for cx or road and the same with hubs and hoops?
Not sure what that $500-$700 would buy you. Maybe more 'aero', maybe a little lighter. But unless a LOT lighter or a LOT more aero..and more $, those wheels would probably be fine.

Get ultegra(nothing wrong with 105 tho) and carbon wheels for that $650..I think that would be the way to go..Rather than the 105 bike and marginal gains wheels for $650...
Old 01-22-2020, 06:49 AM

If you’re interested, I will have a set of Bontrager Aeolus Comp 5 wheelset (new) from a Madone SLR. I upgraded the wheels and awaiting to pickup the bike. It’s a mild upgrade from the Emonda wheelset and more aero.

PM if you’re interested.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 01-22-2020, 08:59 AM

My son has a 2020 Émonda sl 6 with Ultegra mechanical and pro 3’s. It’s a solid bike worth the money. Also, there are probably additional upgrades on the sl6 besides the group and wheels. FWIW, our team is sponsored by Trek, but the bike retailed at 4k. It looks like they actually changed the sl 6 since we purchased. The pro (not comp) wheels with the Bontrager tires fit well, I have had them on / off for flats and training tires with out much trouble. I actually like the Bontrager tires btw, especially at the discount

Last edited by Mikej; 01-22-2020 at 09:02 AM.
Old 01-22-2020, 08:24 PM

Thanks for the input everyone!

I know before the Shimano Ultegra 6800 rim brake wheel set was a solid performer and light weight and could be had for around $300 from competitive cyclist.
I was just wondering if there was any such wheelset that would be similar for disc bikes and be lighter than the stockers on the sl5.

I will probably just get the ultegra bike and keep it stock.
Old 01-22-2020, 09:06 PM

I have a set of Ultegra rim brake wheels and they're bombproof. Highly recommend.
Old 01-22-2020, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polar8 View Post
I have a set of Ultegra rim brake wheels and they're bombproof. Highly recommend.
Do they make a disc equivalent?
Old 01-22-2020, 09:42 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Do they make a disc equivalent?
Sorta. Check out the GRX wheels.

M
Old 01-22-2020, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee View Post
Sorta. Check out the GRX wheels.

M
GRX wheels are a great value - get the discount code from Universal Cycles and you'll save 15% off retail on them..

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 01-23-2020, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the input everyone!

I know before the Shimano Ultegra 6800 rim brake wheel set was a solid performer and light weight and could be had for around $300 from competitive cyclist.
I was just wondering if there was any such wheelset that would be similar for disc bikes......

I would go with the Zonda. The labels are just stickers so you can peel them off if mixing brands is a concern:

https://www.probikekit.com/bicycle-w.../11349857.html