Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-19-2024, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russd32 View Post
Thanks to you both. I won't have a car or a bike with me. I also don't know exactly how much time I'll have to explore, so I plan to just grab a bikeshare rig as time allows. Won't be going for speed, just getting out and about to see some sights in my favorite way.
If you want a better (by far) bike to ride, you might want to consider HAMMER DOWN RIDE CENTER for a rental. https://hammerdownridecenter.com/
I don't really know much about it, but rode with a friend who knows the guy running it. My friend was on a bike from there, and it was amazingly sweet looking. A Time ADHX. Wow. So nice looking.
Old 03-19-2024, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makoti View Post
If you want a better (by far) bike to ride, you might want to consider HAMMER DOWN RIDE CENTER for a rental. https://hammerdownridecenter.com/
I don't really know much about it, but rode with a friend who knows the guy running it. My friend was on a bike from there, and it was amazingly sweet looking. A Time ADHX. Wow. So nice looking.
Wow those are super nice! Typical rental bikes are entry level aluminum, which is totally fine but that's another level.
Old 03-19-2024, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .RJ View Post
Thats true.

I generally avoid that area anyways, I have no idea how you guys go ride Hains Point with all the tour busses and tourists and cars and whatnot. It just seems like madness. I really wish that loop was closed to cars.
On normal days not in Cherry Blossom season during the week at noon when the Hains Point pelotons roll, there usually isn't a lot of auto and tourist traffic. That loop has been redone. Now there's only 1 car land and a 2-way bike lane, and car and bus parking has been drastically reduced.

Of course right now, today being Peak Bloom, you can expect things to be rather different.
Old 03-19-2024, 08:15 PM

Then consider hitting me up later on. Got a room full of 57’s, can bring along and ride with you, show you the way.
Should be in town then, live about 15 miles outside DC proper.
Old 03-20-2024, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccardr View Post
Then consider hitting me up later on. Got a room full of 57’s, can bring along and ride with you, show you the way.
Should be in town then, live about 15 miles outside DC proper.
That is super generous of you sir, and I may just take you up on it. I'll be in town Sunday May 5th and fly home the following Wednesday.
Old 03-20-2024, 01:11 PM

Haven't seen it mentioned here but if you want to get out for a 20-30 mile ride without kids the Anacostia trails are a hidden gem. Lots of opportunity to go fast without the crowds.
Old 03-20-2024, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty2k1 View Post
Haven't seen it mentioned here but if you want to get out for a 20-30 mile ride without kids the Anacostia trails are a hidden gem. Lots of opportunity to go fast without the crowds.
Oh yeah, I always forget about that trail. I like to do a loop from Reston and around the city, using Sligo Creek and Anacostia River Trail for the eastern portion.

From downtown, head to SW waterfront, cross the South Capitol St bridge between the soccer and baseball stadiums, and pick the trail up heading north-ish along the Anacostia.

You could do a nice loop around Haines Point, through the SW waterfront area past Audi Field, and across to the Anacostia River Trail.
Old 03-20-2024, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
Oh yeah, I always forget about that trail. I like to do a loop from Reston and around the city, using Sligo Creek and Anacostia River Trail for the eastern portion.

From downtown, head to SW waterfront, cross the South Capitol St bridge between the soccer and baseball stadiums, and pick the trail up heading north-ish along the Anacostia.

You could do a nice loop around Haines Point, through the SW waterfront area past Audi Field, and across to the Anacostia River Trail.
I wish I had the time (and the fitness) to do a loop that long. Early COVID before my first kid I was doing ~30 miles every other day on the Anacostia trails. We just had our second kid in January and I've done one ride that doesn't involve taking kid #1 somewhere. It was 14 miles.
Old 03-20-2024, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty2k1 View Post
Agreed, the Anacostia trail is an absolute gem, passing through open fields, forests, and marshes winding alongside the river even within the city limits. Don't let the word get out! There are even multiple semi-secret gravel/dirt detours: the un-maintained part of Deane Ave, the little trail to the Kenilworth aquatic gardens, and the loop around Colmar manor park.

If any of you visitors to DC are interested just reply here and I can post a RidewithGPS route if you like.