Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-19-2024, 05:02 AM

Cassette/rotor lockring tool question

I haven’t needed any new bike tools in a very long time. My new White Industries hubs are a completely new thing for me. I am able to install the Ultegra cassette and front rotor lockrings with my Park FR-5 lockring tool; however, the hole in this tool is not large enough to clear the axle and engage the rear rotor lockring. Do I need the Park FR-5.2 lockring tool? Is the hole large enough to clear the rear axle? If not, what do I need?
Old 03-19-2024, 05:18 AM

I went through this same problem with my first disc bike.

Two possibilities:

1. Pull the endcap and use your existing internally-splined lockring and install with a cassette tool. But I'm not sure if White Industry hubs have endcaps that are easy to remove.

or

2. Switch to externally-splined lockrings and install with a new tool like Park's BBT-9.
Old 03-19-2024, 06:02 AM

Try looking at the Park Tool 5.2h. This is what I use to install my Shimano cassettes and rotors on my White Industries hubs.
Old 03-19-2024, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakcloud View Post
Try looking at the Park Tool 5.2h. This is what I use to install my Shimano cassettes and rotors on my White Industries hubs.
I was looking at that model. There would be no way to use my torque wrench but that would not be okay, I assume.
Old 03-19-2024, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypnos View Post
I was looking at that model. There would be no way to use my torque wrench but that would not be okay, I assume.
You got a double negative so I'm not clear exactly what you mean. For me it would not be OK to not use the torque wrench I think.

I've got enough history with cassettes coming loose or creaking when not torqued properly I wouldn't trust many people to get it right without a torque wrench at 45Nm with a wrench that size. (though I can't really tell how long it is from the picture)

I had totally not thought about this but will have to deal with it at some point soon. My MTB has a 12mm thru axle on the back and whatever version of the park lockring tool I have I bet it doesn't fit on the thru axle. (I have the one with the guide pin)

Last edited by benb; 03-19-2024 at 08:02 AM.
Old 03-19-2024, 08:46 AM

My cassette and front rotor lockrings have been torqued to specification. The rear rotor lockring will be the problem.