Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old Today, 06:55 AM

Adventure Cycling Association Southern Tier

I've used ACA routes for planning- we did a Texas Hill Country tour a few years ago based in part on an ACA route. Am considering the Souther Tier section 1 from San Diego to Tempe. If you have done this would you care to share thoughts? I actually bought the ACA RWGPS "Experiences" route ~$12 to review. I am seeing a lot of numbered roads, things like "Highway" this or that, "Exit 11", etc on the cue sheet, and some really long stretches on some roads. For my trip its between this or bike packing, probably in mountains in southern AZ, so totally opposite.
Old Today, 10:32 AM
love2bike

How to get Southern Tier info.

You might check out this cyclist on ACAs Souther Tier now. You can contact the rider directly by clicking on the envelope icon. This, and other journals on the crazyguyonabike website, may be helpful.

https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/Phil-Cal2Fla

Have a great trip.
Old Today, 10:42 AM

I don't have any insights into that particular route, but as a general rule of thumb, it's really hard to go long distances in California without having to suffer through highway riding.
Old Today, 11:24 AM

I'd recommend going out of CA on 78

I've ridden on it up near Ramona and Julian, and would prefer that to anything that would try to be nearer I-8 further south (have also ridden on the southern areas out there near Boulevard). There is a road that cuts south from 78 right near where the PCT parking was, but I've not done that, and also have no idea on riding on 98 east, which is where that road would take you. 98 is between I8 and Mexico border, and having driven out to MCAS Yuma dozens of times, that is desolate appearing for many miles. Once you get by the dunes west of Yuma, not sure there is any option except I8, so I'd look at coming into AZ on 78.
Old Today, 01:44 PM

Thanks all for the insights. Ive actually ridden through Julian and Ramona years. Hadnt made the connection.