Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-25-2019, 05:03 PM

Is there anyone mentally sharper than Brady, think not
Old 01-25-2019, 05:07 PM

If the league is rigged, when are the Lions going to get their time in the sun?! Don't you think the NFL would spread the wealth a bit? Isn't it time they move on from crowning the Pats every season?!!
Old 01-25-2019, 05:17 PM
I need you cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Tornado View Post
I know several people who seriously think the NFL is rigged.
It is....rigged to separate fans from their money.
Old 01-25-2019, 06:00 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I know several people who seriously think the NFL is rigged.
There are also people who believe 12 astronauts didn’t walk on the moon.

The refs blew it and the NFL has crickets for a response, well they did throw out a fine of $23,000.
Old 01-25-2019, 06:26 PM
I need you cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman View Post
...The refs blew it and the NFL has crickets for a response, well they did throw out a fine of $23,000.
"We don't care. We don't have to. We are the NFL!"
Old 01-25-2019, 06:49 PM
Classics Fan

Not sure if it is "fixed", as in the outcome is predetermined... if that were true, it is hard to understand how the patriots keep winning when they are the most despised team in the league. Unless you believe that every story needs a villain. But even then, you'd think the other AFC owners would tell Kraft to give their squads a chance.

If by "fixed" you just mean unfair, then I'd agree on a limited number of issues. First and foremost, the over time rules are surely ridiculous, arbitrary and not entertaining. I'd go so far as to say "unfair".

3 guys half way through a case of Budweiser could come up with a better set of over time rules. If you're not going to tack on another 15 minute period where the team in the lead wins, then come up with something more entertaining for fans.

For starters, give both teams equal chances of possessing and scoring. And second, require all phases of the game to play out, so you can make the argument that the best team won, not just the lucky team.

Personally, I'd do the following.
Coin flip. Winner chooses whether whether they are A or B.
Team A kicks off.
Receiving team has 4 minutes to score. (Undecided if on sides kicks would be allowed)
Team B kicks off.
Receiving team has 4 minutes to score.
Swap ends.
Repeat above process.
Team with a lead wins.
If still tied, each team gets ball on opponent's 40 yard line and has 2 minutes to score.
Team with a lead wins.
If still tied, teams start trading off "2 point conversions", where the order flips each round, and is essentially sudden death. Like soccer/futbol after the 5 PKs.

Yeah, this might mess with the TV schedules and eat into ratings, but atleast you have the perception that you're trying to determine the better team.
Old 01-25-2019, 07:11 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
"We don't care. We don't have to. We are the NFL!"
That made my day ! Thanks man.
Old 01-25-2019, 07:17 PM
what's a little rust?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman View Post
they did throw out a fine of $23,000.
I am in admiration of the fine. It is a cheap PR move, a meaningless penalty for a player getting SB bonus cash, and a probably enraging moment for the Saints fan base--all at once. Top score.
Old 01-25-2019, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTuck View Post
Not sure if it is "fixed", as in the outcome is predetermined... if that were true, it is hard to understand how the patriots keep winning when they are the most despised team in the league. Unless you believe that every story needs a villain. But even then, you'd think the other AFC owners would tell Kraft to give their squads a chance.

If by "fixed" you just mean unfair, then I'd agree on a limited number of issues. First and foremost, the over time rules are surely ridiculous, arbitrary and not entertaining. I'd go so far as to say "unfair".

3 guys half way through a case of Budweiser could come up with a better set of over time rules. If you're not going to tack on another 15 minute period where the team in the lead wins, then come up with something more entertaining for fans.

For starters, give both teams equal chances of possessing and scoring. And second, require all phases of the game to play out, so you can make the argument that the best team won, not just the lucky team.

Team A kicks off.
Receiving team has 4 minutes to score. (Undecided if on sides kicks would be allowed)
Team B kicks off.
Swap ends.
Repeat above process.
Team with a lead wins.
If still tied, each team gets ball on opponent's 40 yard line and has 2 minutes to score.
Team with a lead wins.
If still tied, teams start trading off "2 point conversions", where the order flips each round, and is essentially sudden death. Like soccer/futbol after the 5 PKs.

Yeah, this might mess with the TV schedules and eat into ratings, but atleast you have the perception that you're trying to determine the better team.
Is this a joke?

Jeff
Old 01-25-2019, 07:40 PM

As a Saints fan since day one, the ending of the game sucked pond water.

There were SEVERAL bad calls that would have changed the game that were "missed." The Rams interception in overtime had a bad hands to the face on Drew Brees. And no, it wasn't like the phantom facemask call that kept Brady on the field. It should have resulted in a 15 yard penalty and red zone position for the Saints to win the overtime.
Old 01-25-2019, 08:35 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTuck View Post
Team A kicks off.
Team B kicks off.
Swap ends.
Repeat above process.
Team with a lead wins.
Team with a lead wins.

A bit too complicated IMO.

Proposed OT rule improvement:

1) Coin flip. Visiting team calls it.

2) Team that wins CF picks to receive the OT kickoff or not. Team that looses CF decides what goal to defend.

3) Kickoff (any type they like)

4) Play continues per usual rules until both of two things have happened:

A) each team has had a chance to posses the ball and try to score and

B) at least one team has scored more points than the other.

Example of messy details where one team could potentially not get it's offense on the field despite the rule change proposed above: Fumble upon receiving any kickoff counts as a chance to possess the ball, as does interception of a pass or recovering a fumble, then promptly fumbling it in that same play, assuming this occurs in a situation where it is legal to advance the first fumble - I'm not 100% sure, but I think there are some cases when you can't advance a fumble.
Old 01-25-2019, 08:48 PM
Classics Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlwdm View Post
Is this a joke?

Jeff
Point taken. Would still like to see an over time that is fair to both teams. It is friday night, I got carried away.
Old 01-25-2019, 10:04 PM

To be clear I don't believe the NFL is fixed, but you really have to scratch your head with some of the calls, or no-calls, made this season. I'm not convinced that overall the officiating is getting better.
What really stinks, for me, is the patriots are in the SB again. (sigh)
Old 01-25-2019, 10:10 PM

Regarding OT, tack on another 15 minute quarter. Coin flip to decide posession & who gets what side. Team leading at the end of 15 minutes wins. If tied go another 10 minutes, or maybe 8 minutes (half of fifteen). If still tied, hmmm. Doubt it would go that far. Maybe then go sudden death - at least they would have tried to keep it like a regular game.
Old 01-26-2019, 12:05 AM
Everything is connected

Quote:
Regarding OT, tack on another 15 minute quarter. Coin flip to decide posession & who gets what side. Team leading at the end of 15 minutes wins. If tied go another 10 minutes, or maybe 8 minutes (half of fifteen). If still tied, hmmm. Doubt it would go that far. Maybe then go sudden death - at least they would have tried to keep it like a regular game.
College football overtime rules have been in place since 1996 and the rules make sense. Perhaps that’s why the NFL hasn’t followed suit...it makes sense.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...-works-history