Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-21-2019, 10:51 AM
Randomhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
If it's Amazon Prime, it isn't counterfeit, I wouldn't think.
if it's actually sold by amazon, it probably isn't fake. Prime offers no such guarantee. Each item says who you are buying it from.
Old 12-22-2019, 06:28 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraman6970 View Post
well you never know when you buy something from the internet, specially if its something super mass produced and for half the price of a real store.
fify
Old 12-22-2019, 08:45 AM

I don't know about counterfeit but I have bought a few things from Amazon that were absolute junk which looked like the product I was buying but were not even functional or in the case of a TV stand not even able to be assembled. Fortunately the return policy is easy.

The $350 50mm Chinese carbon wheels are worth every penny so far. IMO.
Old 12-22-2019, 10:33 AM

I've been the victim once

I buy so much stuff from amazon--i usually know what i want and order it instead of driving to target or walmart or home depot, unless it is an item i need that hour or i know the amazon price isn't good enough. Anyway, of the thousands of things over the years the only fake was a set of "life straw" emergency wear filter drinking tubes. My youngest and I were into watching naked and afraid 3 years ago and I was about to go camping with high school friends so I ordered a pack of them. Totally forgot them when i went on the camping trip, and about 2 months later got a refund message from amazon that they were likely fake and to not use them. I think they are still in my shed somewhere as I planned to cut one apart to check it out. I do spend more time trying to sift through reviews on some products like phone cables etc as there are so many options (and fakes I assume).
Old 12-22-2019, 01:58 PM

Quote:
If it's Amazon Prime, it isn't counterfeit, I wouldn't think.
False.

Prime has nothing to do with product assortment, or quality - it is a subscription membership scheme associated with order fulfillment, and other services.

3rd party sellers and vendors may both be Prime eligible.

Buyer beware.
Old 12-23-2019, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttx1 View Post
False.

Prime has nothing to do with product assortment, or quality - it is a subscription membership scheme associated with order fulfillment, and other services.

3rd party sellers and vendors may both be Prime eligible.

Buyer beware.

Disagree in part. Look at this ad. It says ships from and sold by Amazon. I don't believe that Amazon would buy from a counterfeit manufacturer. https://www.amazon.com/Kool-Stop-Dur...1&rps=1&sr=8-9
Old 12-23-2019, 12:15 PM
Randomhead

But the items that are sold by amazon are in a minority on prime. I suspect that Amazon is pretty good at not selling fakes if it's "sold by Amazon." I am really reluctant to go through Amazon if they aren't shipping it. It is a bit better than going direct because I don't have to spread my credit card number around so much. But that's about it.

It's interesting about the fake lifestraws. I had some in my "save for later" list for a while and then they disappeared. They were at a much better price than any other source. I wouldn't have thought anyone would bother faking them, but here we are.
Old 12-23-2019, 02:50 PM

yep, weird thing to knock off

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
But the items that are sold by amazon are in a minority on prime. I suspect that Amazon is pretty good at not selling fakes if it's "sold by Amazon." I am really reluctant to go through Amazon if they aren't shipping it. It is a bit better than going direct because I don't have to spread my credit card number around so much. But that's about it.

It's interesting about the fake lifestraws. I had some in my "save for later" list for a while and then they disappeared. They were at a much better price than any other source. I wouldn't have thought anyone would bother faking them, but here we are.
i'd not have even suspected-but in hindsight it was much much cheaper than REI etc. If ever get around to cutting one open I'll update
Old 12-23-2019, 03:55 PM

OT (Kinda) Counterfeit Products on Amazon

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post

What do you think about these Conti tires? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...iglink27304-20 (Sold by Wholesale Extreme and fulfilled by Amazon.)
Old 12-23-2019, 04:58 PM
Randomhead

hard to know where those tires come from. I'm not sure anyone is counterfeiting Contis. Most of the counterfeit tires stories I hear are about Schwalb tires. OTOH, I wouldn't be surprised if they were counterfeit, or surplus/distressed merch. I figure I should get a really big discount on surplus, and generally Amazon doesn't quite get there.
Old 12-23-2019, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Disagree in part. Look at this ad. It says ships from and sold by Amazon. I don't believe that Amazon would buy from a counterfeit manufacturer. https://www.amazon.com/Kool-Stop-Dur...1&rps=1&sr=8-9
Hate to tell you this, but Amazon charges vendors extra for non-commingled inventory.

And they source goods from a wide range of suppliers, not just 1st source brands.

This means that there is no assurance that the Kool Stop pads were purchased from Kool Stop, or an authorized Kool Stop distributor.

It also means that even if Amazon does source from Kool Stop, there’s no assurance that the item you buy was in fact supplied by Kool Stop - it could be from another vendor or seller who sends in another item to an Amazon warehouse marked with the same upc.

I could go on... Doesn’t take much googling to find a lot of discussion on this topic.

How about Amazon’s new anti counterfeiting program? They charge vendors @ $1 per unit to incorporate a traceable amazon hologram sticker at the factory. Guess who absorbs that cost. This adds no value to the vendor or the consumer.

A “normal” retailer with a limited assortment and fully qualified sourcing practices won’t let this happen by design.

I buy a bunch of stuff from Amazon, but I increasingly try to buy local any time I can. I’ve accidentally purchased items from 3rd party sellers one too may times, and inadvertently opted in to a seemingly endless stream of solicitations for positive feedback for crappy items that I cannot opt out of. Sure Amazon will take it back and issue a refund. Too late, imo.

The Amazon experience is not improving.

Anyone want some corrugated cardboard?
Old 12-23-2019, 10:15 PM
You still here?

Quote:
What do you think about these Conti tires? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...iglink27304-20 (Sold by Wholesale Extreme and fulfilled by Amazon.)
That’s kind of normal price. ExcelSports has the same tire listed for $39.90. With the Amazon buy you get free shipping.
Old 12-23-2019, 10:17 PM

I don't buy alot of items on Amazon, and the negative publicity I've been seeing (or noticing) since the whole HQ2 thing has got me looking closely at my purchases.

There have been some "regular use" items that I originally got turned onto through Amazon and have done re-orders. I've checked out the manufacturers website for these items, and the prices are cheaper to my door than on Amazon, or they offer "bonuses" for the same $$ (Amazon= 6 in a package / Mfg.= 6 + 2 bonus in a package).

No 2 day delivery at that price, but I'm rarely in a rush for these kinda things.

I think what Amazon does is amazing from a logistics point of view, but lately I am a little leery of supporting such a juggernaut if there are equivalent alternatives
Old 12-25-2019, 07:36 AM

Amazon is getting contaminated like eBay from people that buy from alibaba or whatever else source and resell it on those site.

I’m trying to be careful and be selective for the type of product I buy online. Mostly rare or little stuff. If I have less than 30% difference in pricing I don’t bother going online.

Being in Canada we don’t have access to this aggressive local market as Canada is mostly a lineal country where you deal more with the us border than other cities in Canada that are just too far apart. Therefore Amazon eBay and other are playing a big role here as they are a leverage of negotiations with the local market guys that would sell to high. Don’t get me wrong I’m not blaming the local guys but mostly the wholesaler that controls the market and fix the price.

Back in 2010 the exchange rate was almost 1$ usd for 1$ cad and you go on amazon.ca versus amazon.com and for the same exact item the price from .ca was 200cad and for .com it was 100$. Why is that ?

If these plateforme don’t sort things out they will most likely getting hurt by that on the long run.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
Old 12-25-2019, 11:48 AM

I purchase a lot of items on Amazon and have never had a problem with anything - quality or delivery. I do only buy name brand products though - through good sellers.

Last statistics I saw showed only about 30% of Amazon sales are by Amazon.

Jeff