Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-20-2019, 04:24 PM

I keep coming back to the compass 650x42 as my go to tire for all-road riding. I’ve been on and off this tire size since around 2012.
Old 12-21-2019, 06:23 AM

I grew up riding the Erie canal tow path.. didn't know it was gravel at the time, so 27 x 1 1/4" (32 I guess?). I was surprised to see they dismiss the 650s. My gravel 2.0 bike (2nd one) has 650 wheels and I like both tires I've tried 47c Horizons and 2.1 Thunder Burts. They're not as fast as the 32s on my "winter" wheels. I guess their lens is competition like DK BWR etc, which about .5% of the audience actually choses to do, oh well. I did the local "gravel" rides like Hell of Hunterdon and Battenkill on 28s and 25s respectively without incident, but gave up paying to ride on local roads for the most part.
Old 12-21-2019, 06:41 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadmax View Post
In five years a "gravel bike" will be a mountain bike

Marketing rule number one; if you don't have a product niche, create one.
Already a drop bar, hard tail, rigid, MTB..

What he said..a 'bike guy' once said, all you need to ride a bike anywhere, is a bike..this 'specialized'(pun intended) and purpose driven marketing wears me out.

Absolutes wear me out too..'perfect', always, everytime, everyone, never....yikes.
Quote:
AngryScientist-
i reject the premise that there is a perfect sized tire.
Quote:
72GMC
-because I want to keep trying different tires!
And the marketing gods and tire maker bean counters smile upon you..

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 12-21-2019 at 06:45 AM.
Old 12-21-2019, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merckx View Post
A paramount consideration for me are my damping needs for the roads that I ride. Traction needs are secondary.
Surprisingly how few riders understand this.

I’ve experimented with a few different styles and sizes of tires, primarily Panaracer GK’s in either smooth file tread or the semi-knobby. I’ve settled on the smooth tread in 32mm. It’s adequate for most gravel roads around here and very good on pavement. I may go up to 38mm tires and the only reason is compliance.

What’s really interesting to me is the explosion of tire sizes, compounds, and tread patterns available to us. Only a few years ago the choices we had in larger sizes were very limited, heavy and stiff. I believe the main driver behind the adoption of the larger tires is simply the fact that quality larger tires were simply not available to us.
Old 12-21-2019, 11:08 AM

Everybody is different
Every ride is different
Everybody is looking for something different
Everything is a trade-off

Then, when you finally decide on a tire, then you have to decide on tire pressure.

Classic overthinking (of which I can be as guilty as anybody - just ask my wife)

There, that just about covers it.
Old 12-23-2019, 01:05 AM

Only a few rides in so far but I’m loving my 40mm tires

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-23-2019, 10:25 AM

Having been around the sale of a lot of "gravel" bikes and also being part of putting on the Moots Ranch Rally, the two most asked questions - "how big a tire will it hold" and "what pressure should I run". Personally I have run 28 - 35 on this ride depending on the bike I had at the time.

Almost no one runs the biggest tire a gravel bike will fit, some do, but I think tire pressure is important to figure out for the tires and roads you are riding. A few lbs of difference makes a huge difference in comfort and grip in the loose stuff. Tubeless is also a great thing for the dirt.

We use to joke about making a "aggregate gauge" with different sized holes in a piece of plywood to see how big your gravel is to determine tire size. All in all there is often too much worrying about all this. The old phrase "run what you brung" and "shut up and ride" come to mind... perfect sized tires - meh
Old 12-23-2019, 12:06 PM
Randomhead

I had some really nice 30mm cross tires, but I had 20 flats the last year I rode them. No flats so far on the 40mm GK SK. The 30mm tires were a bit scary sometimes. PA DNCR sometimes dumps large quantities of #2 gravel, and a 30mm tire will just sink in and staying up is a challenge. For Central PA gravel, a 2.25" tire is nice on the descents, but if you are up for a little skittering around, a 40mm tire works fine.

If the gravel roads weren't buried under a sheet of ice right now, you probably would be relatively happy with a 28mm tire. They get really smooth by the end of hunting season.
Old 12-23-2019, 10:35 PM
formerly Landshark_98

I prefer 650b 42 or 47/48 on a bike optimized for this size wheel/tire combo over anything larger than a 35 on a wide rim on a 700c bike. This of course helps me justify the 650b bike!

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk