Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-08-2019, 08:00 PM

Get a wolf. All dogs will show the respect.
Old 12-08-2019, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_douglas View Post
Yeah, our lives are pretty full right now, so less stress would be good. I know we are taking on more with any pet and I accept that though.

My wife’s bestie just got a puppy and while she said it’s lots of work and makes their lives crazier, she’s super happy with the choice and she wasn’t previously a pet person. She told us to leap in!

SRAM - funny thing is that I am looking for a cheap SRAM group for the first time in many many years!!

well then - you now have the name for your pet.
Old 12-09-2019, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poff View Post
Get a wolf. All dogs will show the respect.
In that case, get a Czech Vlcak. They can make the hair stand on the back of your neck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTeWAgbn9mI
Old 12-09-2019, 05:30 AM

Appears verdict should be get cat and dog, let them grow up together. Cat's can be indoor only without issue. Just have to commit. My parents grabbed a stray, about 5 years old, brought in and never left. Our cat (formerly cats) have all been indoor only.
Old 12-09-2019, 06:03 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by cash05458 View Post
ah, thanks Peter...very sweet of you to say that...means a lot to me coming from you! And I really agree with you on your post about keeping them inside if you can...too many things out there...we live way out in the country, very seemingly safe and my favorite cat ever, Finn, insisted on being outside as he was a total hunter...and he somehow got hit...it still tears me up a bit 5 years on...
I hear ya brother....
Old 12-09-2019, 06:14 AM

At the risk of being repetitive, find a rescue organization in you area. We rescued Copper a couple of days ago. If he's half the companion our previous rescue was, I'll be very happy indeed.

Copper

Shadow (2004-19)

Old 12-09-2019, 08:07 AM
Older Than You

Never a big animal person but my wife liked cats.
First set lived 19 and 21 years respectively.

Second set only 15 and 16. One had diabetes, the other was let out for his morning prowl and never came back. That was a tough loss for me.

Third set are strictly inside cats and are both 12. These guys just don't have any problems.
All these cats were rescue animals. I guess I've become a cat person.
Old 12-09-2019, 08:42 AM
aka RAEKWON

I am ok sounding repetitive, so many dogs out there in need of a family and friend. Find an animal shelter and go meet some dogs and see who you connect with. We adopted billy a few years ago and he is the sweetest nicest dog, my bestest friend.
Old 12-09-2019, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbcoupe View Post
Tebow is beautiful and looks to need a dental!

Grey's are great dogs but the OP'r is in Victoria, BC. These guy's do get cold easily.

I would start with a cat and then maybe go from there.
Honestly cold weather is a non-issue. Because of the adoption agency we have here in the maritime provinces (a couple actually) there are now hundreds of greys living happily on the east coast of Canada, much colder winter than Victoria.
General rule of thumb is if you need a jacket, they need a jacket. No big deal and they usually still love going for short walks.

This was one of our fosters, one we wish we had kept. Racing name was 'Go Brenda Go'.
You can actually lookup your grey by their racing name and watch some of their recorded races online.

Last edited by oldguy00; 05-30-2021 at 12:49 PM.
Old 12-09-2019, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls1togo View Post
mini Golden Doodle..45 pounds, no shedding, great disposition, smart!
yep! all the intelligence of a Poodle and the friendliness of a Golden Retriever. couldn't ask for more in a dog imho.
Old 12-09-2019, 09:10 AM

Basically all dogs are great companions. The bond between man and beast. Unconditional love for their owners. the perfect pet imho albeit with some work involved but they are worth it.
Old 12-09-2019, 09:11 AM

Because I volunteer at an animal shelter, I'll suggest going to a shelter and telling the people there what you're looking for - size, temperment, kids, etc. Just go with a well-behaved mutt. Tell the staff you don't want a dog with any issues and be emphatic. We get lots of dogs that are very easy-going, lovable dogs that are great pooches. We also get some dogs that have issues, mostly minor, some more so. Sounds like you don't want a project, you just want a family dog, and make this clear to the staff. They will understand, and they certainly don't want to send a dog to a family, only having the dog returned because it wasn't a good match.

Good luck!
Old 12-09-2019, 10:06 AM

Try this site: https://www.petfinder.com/ . When I caved to my son to get a dog (always was a cat person) we fell for a dog on the site and haven't looked back. It has a robust search feature and when we were able to connect with the family fostering our pup and got all the input we needed.
Old 12-09-2019, 02:07 PM

We have an English Labrador. She is the perfect companion...child entertainer, hiking partner, open water swim buddy, movie watcher, field dog, etc. I could go on and on. She has been involved in every part of our lives for the last 11 years. Now that she is older, she is content just lounging around and playing with my two toddlers. English labs are a great breed, as are a lot of other breeds.
Old 12-09-2019, 02:46 PM
I need you cool.

Rescue dog...a couple years old and housebroken
< 20 lbs
Poodle mix (schnauzer, terrier, etc)

Here is ours....rescued about 5 yrs ago...best dog ever...totally chill with everyone, lovable, demanding of her walks, hates squirrels (and any rodent), no shedding,

Last edited by Ozz; 04-30-2020 at 04:23 PM.

Tags
cats, dogs