Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-16-2019, 10:30 AM

Liverpool

Well, let's start with this so you know where my heart is: YNWA!

Now, regarding the CL draw... LFC could have fared worse, but no one will take Atletico lightly. They may not be doing well in la Liga, but they can still be formidable. Once again, however, Klopp says it best:

"So, really, really good; a good draw, a difficult game like it should be, but I don't think Mr Simeone is running through his living room and is happy that he got Liverpool."

LFC's problem is the overall schedule. The EPL will be winding down and, inshallah, LFC will still be top of table. At this point everyone knows the priority for the club is to win the Premier League. Three days after the second Atletico fixture we play Everton away - and that is certainly not a match to be taken lightly. Fatigue will be a factor, beginning with the insane schedule this month and extending on through the spring.

I can (reluctantly) give up the CL title, as well as the "Means-nothing" League Cup, for EPL supremacy. And no Liverpool supporter thinks it will be easy despite the current point differential. It's a long slog.

All that said, why not wish for it all!
Old 12-16-2019, 12:35 PM

you guys are running thin; was it last year or the year before when Klopp thought it'd be a good idea so move training to warmer climates, and it ended up back firing. In the same vein, I have doubts about traveling to Qatar for the Club World Cup. I hope the squad comes back unscathed.

Best case scenario would be that Fabinho returns some time soon, or else you'll pretty much need to have Henderson as back up centerback...
Old 12-16-2019, 05:15 PM
Strong Walker

Klopp left the BVB team he created and led to great achievemensts completely exhausted. I don't watch Pool enough to judge if that has changed, certainly they have better financial resources to feather the effect with fresh talent intake.
Old 12-16-2019, 06:42 PM

" In the same vein, I have doubts about traveling to Qatar for the Club World Cup. I hope the squad comes back unscathed."

Agreed. You can't skip the World Club Cup, but getting the A team back in good shape is paramount.
Old 12-16-2019, 08:03 PM
Cranky!

Quote:
Originally Posted by martl View Post
Klopp left the BVB team he created and led to great achievemensts completely exhausted. I don't watch Pool enough to judge if that has changed, certainly they have better financial resources to feather the effect with fresh talent intake.
They do have a deeper squad, but also a different class of player. Klopp took BVB to two league titles and a Champs league final by squeezing every last drop of life essence out of the likes of Kevin Grosskreutz and Kuba Blaszczykowski. If Liverpool have an equivalent to them it's Hendo, but I get the sense he's working smarter, not harder.

(I say that as someone who once though that Stewart Downing hat greater potential.)
Old 12-16-2019, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonster View Post
They do have a deeper squad, but also a different class of player. Klopp took BVB to two league titles and a Champs league final by squeezing every last drop of life essence out of the likes of Kevin Grosskreutz and Kuba Blaszczykowski. If Liverpool have an equivalent to them it's Hendo, but I get the sense he's working smarter, not harder.

(I say that as someone who once though that Stewart Downing hat greater potential.)
Don't forget James "Ribener" Milner, true jack of all trades
Old 12-16-2019, 09:22 PM

Yes, we will be demanding the utmost of each player. I've never experienced a season quite like this one. Or been more afraid of jinxing it!
Old 12-17-2019, 08:10 AM
Cranky!

Milner is different, because he was considered a whiz-kid prodigy, somewhat of the Joe Cole type, coming up at Leeds. Made his first team debut at 16.

His career suffered from the demise of Leeds, and managerial turnover at other clubs, but he's a player who was understood to have a very high talent ceiling.
Old 12-17-2019, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc1934 View Post
De Laurentiis is an ass. Ancelotti off to Arsenal or Everton?
damn, your crystal ball seems to be quite good

Wonder how it's gonna work out for him in Everton.

People actually compared the respective purchase and present values of the starting-11 at the last Merseyside Derby, and while the purchase value of the Everton players wasn't higher than that of LFC (as claimed by some), it wasn't far off, some 10 M Eur.

The present values paint a different picture though, LFC @ ~550 M vs Everton @ 270 M. In other words, both spend (at least on transfer fees), but there doesn't seem to be player improvement at Everton. So Ancelotti bids adieu to one truly dysfunctional club and heads over to one that's run-of-the-mill dysfunctional...

At least he's got a pretty good head-to-head against Klopp, and not even Pep can lay claim to that
Old 12-21-2019, 02:34 PM

man, what a total team of twerps Flamengo is. Diving, fouling, and time wasting. Of course, that was before Flamengo conceded. Then all the sudden, its players seem to be able to play through the cramps that troubled them only few minutes earlier.

Such a cynical bunch; though expected when one has s***heads like Rafinha playing...
Old 12-22-2019, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
damn, your crystal ball seems to be quite good

Wonder how it's gonna work out for him in Everton.............................
More difficult question - In June, where will Allegri land? Has been supposedly practicing his English, so.....
Old 12-22-2019, 10:26 AM

If i were he, i’d practice my German or Spanish (Barça)

I mean, who really wants that Man U job? The Glazers and Woodward are running it the way a vulture capitalist runs a company bought via leverage: tons of debt repayment and payments to themselves. That business model is not sustainable, and they are facing serious headwinds if they cant qualify for Champions League
Old 01-03-2020, 01:42 PM

Return of de Zlatan

Happy New Year everyone!

in other news, Zlatan Spiel is back!
Old 01-06-2020, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
Happy New Year everyone!

in other news, Zlatan Spiel is back!
Happy and healthy New Year to you as well!

He wasn't much help today (0-0 draw).
Old 01-06-2020, 08:27 PM

yikes, that was a rough game for Parthenope

Inter looks like it may just break Juve's stranglehold