Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-20-2019, 12:29 PM

well, that was a match and a half, with no small part down to VAR. No quibble on the Mane handball goal chalked off, but calling back goals that were the result of fouls unseen is supposed to be one thing that VAR is supposed to address, and it's rather inconceivable how the Rashford goal (brilliant as it was) was allowed to stand.

That said, Klopp does have an issue with how disjointed LFC looks, and they seem to be a side missing fluidity. Having AOC and Keita back should help with that a bit.
Old 10-20-2019, 08:18 PM
Cranky!

Man, Old Trafford is just cursed. I guess getting two managers fired in a row is too much to ask . . .

Elsewhere: sucks about Niklas Süle. Seems like a decent, big lug. Here’s to a speedy and full recovery.
Old 10-20-2019, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
well, that was a match and a half, with no small part down to VAR. No quibble on the Mane handball goal chalked off, but calling back goals that were the result of fouls unseen is supposed to be one thing that VAR is supposed to address, and it's rather inconceivable how the Rashford goal (brilliant as it was) was allowed to stand.

That said, Klopp does have an issue with how disjointed LFC looks, and they seem to be a side missing fluidity. Having AOC and Keita back should help with that a bit.
Excellent match to watch, even if I'm still somewhat uncomfortable with VAR. Seems like the official word was that, yes there was contact, but not enough to warrant a foul...who knows.
Old 10-21-2019, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonster View Post
Man, Old Trafford is just cursed. I guess getting two managers fired in a row is too much to ask . . .

Elsewhere: sucks about Niklas Süle. Seems like a decent, big lug. Here’s to a speedy and full recovery.
it's really unfortunate. apparently the same injury as the one he suffered a few years back. Big lad (apparently 210 lb+) who's deceptively fast, all those efforts probably took their toll. At least Bayern can move Pavard to the centerback position, and I think Hernandez can slot in centrally as well.
Old 10-23-2019, 06:05 AM
Cranky!

Quote:
I think Hernandez can slot in centrally as well.
Not any more .
Old 10-23-2019, 09:15 AM
Strong Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonster View Post
Not any more .
Hoeneß wasted no time and wrapped his last standing CB in cottonwool

Old 10-23-2019, 09:58 AM

Wait, i don’t get the joke.

Is that Boateng?

Last edited by echappist; 10-23-2019 at 10:01 AM.
Old 10-23-2019, 10:41 AM
Strong Walker

Quote:
Wait, i don’t get the joke.

Is that Boateng?
supposed to be, but i cheated. Its Oubameyang i believe

Last edited by martl; 10-23-2019 at 10:46 AM.
Old 10-23-2019, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martl View Post
supposed to be, but i cheated. Its Oubameyang i believe
You bastard! I thought it was PEA. Boateng a bit too serious to flash a grin that big (when I think Jerome Boateng, I think of the furrowed lines on his forehead).

Old 10-23-2019, 04:34 PM

congrats @wc1934; that's a helluva win against a very tough team. The third goal was a show of tenacity.

I think there's a good chance that Napoli tops the group. Really not sure about how LFC will perform in Salzburg...

-----------------------------------

also that AOC second goal. He scored it with his right foot; that's quite some technique. In some ways reminescent of a trivela. Good to see him back, as he basically spent 1.5 years recovering from his injury. Always thought that LFC, despite winning the European Cup, looked a bit disjointed in transition and lacking in attacking nous when opponents willingly concede possession and set up low blocks. As a result, Klopp was overly reliant upon crosses from its (fine) fullbacks. AOC could probably improve both areas, especially re: the latter, as he can drag defenders out of shape to provide space and shoot from range (as seen today).

Last edited by echappist; 10-23-2019 at 04:54 PM.
Old 10-23-2019, 06:35 PM

Quote:
congrats @wc1934; that's a helluva win against a very tough team. The third goal was a show of tenacity.

I think there's a good chance that Napoli tops the group. Really not sure about how LFC will perform in Salzburg...

-----------------------------------

also that AOC second goal. He scored it with his right foot; that's quite some technique. In some ways reminescent of a trivela. Good to see him back, as he basically spent 1.5 years recovering from his injury. Always thought that LFC, despite winning the European Cup, looked a bit disjointed in transition and lacking in attacking nous when opponents willingly concede possession and set up low blocks. As a result, Klopp was overly reliant upon crosses from its (fine) fullbacks. AOC could probably improve both areas, especially re: the latter, as he can drag defenders out of shape to provide space and shoot from range (as seen today).
Man, that game really played with my emotions and my blood pressure. Shaky moments and weaknesses, but Salzburg is a really good team. They've won their last 13 home games, and gave Liverpool a run for their money only to loose 4-3 at Anfield.

Mertens brace surpassed Maradona’s goal total and is now only 5 behind Hamsik’s record of 121.
And, with that goal Lorenzo made up with Carlo.
As someone said, "Napoli are owned by a movie maker." This one was a thriller!
Old 10-24-2019, 04:18 AM
Strong Walker

Quote:
You bastard! I thought it was PEA. Boateng a bit too serious to flash a grin that big (when I think Jerome Boateng, I think of the furrowed lines on his forehead).
JB wouldn't be seen dead with a patchy 5-day stubble, that's for sure..

Old 10-26-2019, 03:56 PM

well well well, first hat trick for an American player in the EPL since Clint Dempsey, and it was a perfect hat trick, too. Actually can't remember if he has ever scored a brace in a league game prior to this one.

I still don't think Pulisic is close to being the finished product, but he's certainly been making a case for more game time in the limited minutes given. Really would like to see him get better at releasing the ball before he has no option left, as he gets dispossessed quite a bit in those scenarios.

Hopefully this would also help to steady the USMNT ship...
Old 10-27-2019, 01:43 PM
Strong Walker

Yout either have class, or you don't. Or you are an Italian

Pirlo&Maldini

Old 10-28-2019, 01:51 PM

well, I didn't see this one coming

Sergino Dest chooses to play for the s***e USMNT, as opposed to De Oranje

It's gotta be a tough choice, between choosing the basketcase side who was there from the start (when the more illustrious side wasn't), and the more bandwagon-jumping side of De Oranje, who basically overlooked him until he really begin to shine this year.

Frankly, I wouldn't have faulted him had he selected De Oranje, given how incompetent and inept USMNT is. Now that MNT has this unexpected windfall, I really hope that the MNT management shapes up and fully realize the potential of this unexpected windfall

That said, I just realized whom Pulisic nutmegged on his assist on Wednesday's match against Ajax. Yep, a certain teenage right back... I just really hope he can play left back. The following line-up wouldn't be half bad (assuming Greg pulls his head out of his arse and plays people where they ought).

-----------Steffan--------------
Yedlin---Miazga---Brooks---Dest
McKennie-----Adams
?????----Pulisic-----Weah
Sargent