Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-19-2020, 05:18 PM

^ averting my eyes from the Speedo image colker ;-)
Old 01-19-2020, 05:57 PM
Deconditioned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by colker View Post
Sure but a speedo is much cheaper if you are into swiming.

Touché!
Old 01-19-2020, 07:53 PM

I’m not one to keep a thorough bucket list, but visiting the Colnago factory and museum, and drinking negronis with Ernesto Colnago in his living room is DEFINITELY on it.
Old 01-22-2020, 04:13 AM
Biohazard

Saronni Colnago Criterium "Aero"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
wow, would love to see a pic of that frame.
Trying to show top tube shape. 1.025" diameter at lug down to .86" in the center. Down tube is similar; seat stays are also narrow. Missing TT cable guides; possibly removed during repaint, not sure why unless they (all!) were damaged. I'm installing clamp-on guides to remedy this.
After inspecting the seat tube, I have found nothing to support this frame as being made of Columbus "SLx" tubing. I was able to spy a seam, but still do not have any idea as to tubing type. Maybe "Aelle", or "Cromor". 26.0 post, need to verify
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200121_113009.jpg (124.8 KB, 586 views)

Last edited by HPL; 01-22-2020 at 10:24 AM.
Old 01-22-2020, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YesNdeed View Post
I’m not one to keep a thorough bucket list, but visiting the Colnago factory and museum, and drinking negronis with Ernesto Colnago in his living room is DEFINITELY on it.
Completely understand.
Old 04-09-2021, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post

just cracked my seat tube on my V3Rs 4" above the bottom bracket after 100 miles of very mellow (honeymoon period) riding.. calling bs on the strength of the Nago build. I'm not MVDP.
I hope Im the exception to the rule. the bike was everything I hoped for with respect to ride and build quality for a few days at least.
Old 04-09-2021, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuda View Post
just cracked my seat tube on my V3Rs 4" above the bottom bracket after 100 miles of very mellow (honeymoon period) riding.. calling bs on the strength of the Nago build. I'm not MVDP.
I hope Im the exception to the rule. the bike was everything I hoped for with respect to ride and build quality for a few days at least.
Shoulda got a basement made model instead?
Old 04-10-2021, 11:58 AM
cnighbor2

Colnago CF Frames quality

Colnago CF Frames quality
I went into a local bike store once and saw a Colnago CF Frame that had failed due to an accident
The front part, head tube and fork had separated just past the down tube and top tube.
I was able to look inside and see how those tubes were connected to the head tube.
They were both just mitered and butted to the head tube and some how attached.
No carbon fiber lugs like on some of there models
And no visible increase in the tubes diameter has they meet the head tube
Yes the failure of the frame was due to the accident but what the heck was holding those two tubes to the head tube
Not much in my engineering view point
So the quality of Colnago frames to me is a bit suspect
Charles Nighbor Architect Engineer
Old 04-10-2021, 12:52 PM
Vendor

I mean, anyway, we all know that once Ghezzi stole Rossin away from Colnago the brand was never the same.

He was the Pancetta in the Carbonara.
Old 04-18-2022, 02:32 PM

Sorry to revive this thread.
I have the opportunity to buy a 2005 Colnago CT2 with Force fork (original components: Dura Ace 7800 drivetrain, Ritchey carbon stem, 3T carbon handlebar, Campa Eurus wheelset).From the first owner, who hasn’t used it a lot (it was a spare/second road bike, kept indoors) and it looks pretty good, hardly a scratch. The price is very decent, just above 1000 euros (~1100 dollars). I have two main concerns:

From what I’ve read online, this lugged titanium frame with the carbon B-Stay & HP rear triangle could develop some issues (where the two materials are bonded, also corrosion etc.), though opinions (from 15+ years ago online) are divided. I’m not sure about the longevity/shelf-life of the Titanium main frame either. It’s a 6/4 blend, which is supposedly good (the best), but I’ve never had a titanium bike and I wonder if such an old frame is safe to use in the long run. I’m 70 kg, so not too heavy, but I am risk-averse and wary of sudden catastrophic failure. Not sure about the carbon fork and its carbon steerer either. The owner has told me he uses a torque wrench, but the compression plug in the steerer is rather short (I’m used to the longer Specialized plug on my own bike).
I’m slightly hesitating because of the sizing too. It’s a traditional (horizontal TT) Colnago, similar to the Master or the C40/50, and it has a 55cm top tube, with 56 cm seat tube. The head tube is only 15 cm though, so saddle to bar drop is more than I am used to even with 20 mm extra spacers under the stem. I immediately noticed that during a brief test ride, but part of the weird feeling could be because of the traditional shape of the drop bar.
Let me explain: I ride 56 cm Roubaix SL4, which has a 56.5 cm top tube (though my stem is 10 mm shorter than the one on the Colnago, so reach-wise they are about even, since seat angles are comparable. BUT I have a non-average body (shorter legs, longer torso, but shorter arms too with negative ape index). The head tube on my Roubaix is considerable taller, so my saddle to bar drop is about 4 cm higher than on the Colnago (I’ve been fitted and have been riding my Roubaix for years: it feels perfect). On the Roubaix, I use a shallow bend Specialized bar, with short (87mm) reach and shorter drop than the classic shape bar on the Colnago. So I wonder if the Colnago would be too aggressive for me, even though they are supposed to be comfy, endurance-oriented bikes (I mean the CT2 specifically).

Any thoughts?
Old 04-19-2022, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveadore View Post
Sorry to revive this thread.
I have the opportunity to buy a 2005 Colnago CT2 with Force fork (original components: Dura Ace 7800 drivetrain, Ritchey carbon stem, 3T carbon handlebar, Campa Eurus wheelset).From the first owner, who hasn’t used it a lot (it was a spare/second road bike, kept indoors) and it looks pretty good, hardly a scratch. The price is very decent, just above 1000 euros (~1100 dollars). I have two main concerns:

From what I’ve read online, this lugged titanium frame with the carbon B-Stay & HP rear triangle could develop some issues (where the two materials are bonded, also corrosion etc.), though opinions (from 15+ years ago online) are divided. I’m not sure about the longevity/shelf-life of the Titanium main frame either. It’s a 6/4 blend, which is supposedly good (the best), but I’ve never had a titanium bike and I wonder if such an old frame is safe to use in the long run. I’m 70 kg, so not too heavy, but I am risk-averse and wary of sudden catastrophic failure. Not sure about the carbon fork and its carbon steerer either. The owner has told me he uses a torque wrench, but the compression plug in the steerer is rather short (I’m used to the longer Specialized plug on my own bike).
I’m slightly hesitating because of the sizing too. It’s a traditional (horizontal TT) Colnago, similar to the Master or the C40/50, and it has a 55cm top tube, with 56 cm seat tube. The head tube is only 15 cm though, so saddle to bar drop is more than I am used to even with 20 mm extra spacers under the stem. I immediately noticed that during a brief test ride, but part of the weird feeling could be because of the traditional shape of the drop bar.
Let me explain: I ride 56 cm Roubaix SL4, which has a 56.5 cm top tube (though my stem is 10 mm shorter than the one on the Colnago, so reach-wise they are about even, since seat angles are comparable. BUT I have a non-average body (shorter legs, longer torso, but shorter arms too with negative ape index). The head tube on my Roubaix is considerable taller, so my saddle to bar drop is about 4 cm higher than on the Colnago (I’ve been fitted and have been riding my Roubaix for years: it feels perfect). On the Roubaix, I use a shallow bend Specialized bar, with short (87mm) reach and shorter drop than the classic shape bar on the Colnago. So I wonder if the Colnago would be too aggressive for me, even though they are supposed to be comfy, endurance-oriented bikes (I mean the CT2 specifically).

Any thoughts?
When I used to import Colnago's, my personal bike was a CT2 and they are nice bikes. The delamination at the joints between the titanium and the carbon parts was already more or less a thing of the past by 2007, so I wouldn't worry about it. The biggest worry is actually with the headset. The Russians who built the frames for Colnago mis-sized the head tubes on quite a few frames. Instead of repairing the issue, Colnago decided to simply have some custom headsets made specifically for these frames. All is fine and well until the original headset doesn't wear out and you try to get a replacement. There are no commercially available replacements and you would need to get a custom piece turned to size.
Old 04-19-2022, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveadore View Post
<snip>

Any thoughts?
I had the precursor CT1 and thought it was a nice handling bike--I used the word "plush" when describing it to a friend. I thought the combination of the carbon rear/fork and titanium spine was great.

On the sizing--you may need to put on a stem with more rise--and perhaps a shallow bar?--to get your position a little higher. But (has been said) multiple ways in this thread (thanks for bumping it, since I missed it first time around)--Colnagos have quite neutral geometry--and people used to quicker turn-in complain that they feel slow to respond. But my experience is that when you are moving at speed, they track and handle perfectly.

Last edited by paredown; 04-19-2022 at 07:08 AM.
Old 04-19-2022, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyglot View Post
When I used to import Colnago's, my personal bike was a CT2 and they are nice bikes. The delamination at the joints between the titanium and the carbon parts was already more or less a thing of the past by 2007, so I wouldn't worry about it. The biggest worry is actually with the headset. The Russians who built the frames for Colnago mis-sized the head tubes on quite a few frames. Instead of repairing the issue, Colnago decided to simply have some custom headsets made specifically for these frames. All is fine and well until the original headset doesn't wear out and you try to get a replacement. There are no commercially available replacements and you would need to get a custom piece turned to size.
Oh, that's a bummer. I do think it has the original headset, but it's a chrome color piece with no visible branding.
It's a 2005 model, so I wonder if the joint delamination could still be a risk. Also the dreaded corrosion at the dropouts (this seems to be most frequently mentioned issue in various forums)