Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-09-2019, 05:42 PM

Old 12-09-2019, 06:07 PM

Hey cash, if you enjoy your art and some others that's awesome. To each his own as they say. But I just can't figure out how this even got in a building and even called "art." Like, " Man, I got this great idea for a piece." "Really, what is it?" " A banana taped to a wall". What!!? "Yeah, a banana duct taped to a wall!!" You're right, that is incredible!" It's kind of like how did certain "singers" actually ever got a record deal. Like the singer of the song Dance Monkey. I'm baffled. But hey, they're getting rich and I'm not. I mean, $120k?!!!!
Old 12-09-2019, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
Hey cash, if you enjoy your art and some others that's awesome. To each his own as they say. But I just can't figure out how this even got in a building and even called "art." Like, " Man, I got this great idea for a piece." "Really, what is it?" " A banana taped to a wall". What!!? "Yeah, a banana duct taped to a wall!!" You're right, that is incredible!" It's kind of like how did certain "singers" actually ever got a record deal. Like the singer of the song Dance Monkey. I'm baffled. But hey, they're getting rich and I'm not. I mean, $120k?!!!!
well...maybe art isn't for you my friend...I would only say there is quite a bit there if you open your mind...pretty easy to **** on things that make no sense to you...I mean, that's the way of the world...if it's not for you, then so be it...but there are some very good things out there which add a helluva lot...this banana piece ain't one of them...but it's up to you and what you want in life...not my deal if you don't like art...I will be honest, I could care less...and that isnt meant in a bad way...it's your call...like anything...no idea of dance monkey tho....some hipster thing?
Old 12-09-2019, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
It´s not about the banana.. it´s about the tape. Maurizio Catelan hangs things from ceillings and tapes things to walls. In one of his shows he duct tape the art dealer to the gallery wall. It´s brutal and crude but that´s how things are on the deep level of money exchange for goods.. and people.
Old 12-09-2019, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cash05458 View Post
well...maybe art isn't for you my friend...I would only say there is quite a bit there if you open your mind...pretty easy to **** on things that make no sense to you...I mean, that's the way of the world...if it's not for you, then so be it...but there are some very good things out there which add a helluva lot...this banana piece ain't one of them...but it's up to you and what you want in life...not my deal if you don't like art...I will be honest, I could care less...and that isnt meant in a bad way...it's your call...like anything...no idea of dance monkey tho....some hipster thing?
People are offended because art is a valuable commodity and yet can be just a humble banana taped to the wall; it´s an extreme example but art is no longer the whole cathedral ceiling. It´s an epiphany, only thought and idea.
I am not offended: it´s promoting an idea as the most valuable commodity. It´s beautifull.
There is this belgian artist who lives in Mexico, Francys Allys. One of his works is a performance where he carries an ice block for quite some time on the mexican streets till it melts. It´s a brilliant metaphor for the artist work: a sysyphus effort.

Last edited by colker; 12-09-2019 at 06:35 PM.
Old 12-09-2019, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colker View Post
People are offended because art is a valuable commodity and yet can be just a humble banana taped to the wall; it´s an extreme example but art is no longer the whole cathedral ceiling. It´s an epiphany, only thought and idea.
I am not offended: it´s promoting an idea as the most valuable commodity. It´s beautifull.
There is this belgian artist who lives in Mexico, Francys Allys. One of his works is a performance where he carries an ice block for quite some time on the mexican streets till it melts. It´s a brilliant metaphor for the artist work: a sysyphus effort.
it's a cliche...but good art opens you up and fires your mind...folks think that is bs...that's fine...not to be insulting but most folks on here don't know jack **** about art on any level and are totally cynical about these sorta things...like they dont know philo or good lit...if they do, they can speak up...I mean, you want to buy good art...go find thomas kincaids and his light or whatever....I mean, that really is about the level...no sweat...it's a bike forum after all...check out wim delvoye colker...bet you might find him interesting...gothic dump trucks tatted pigs and poop machines etc...solid stuff via real art.

Last edited by cash05458; 12-09-2019 at 06:50 PM.
Old 12-09-2019, 06:54 PM

I remember reading an article that talked about how the Jackson Pollock art and other abstract/modernistic art was actually secretly pushed/sponsored/paid for by the CIA . It was a pushback against the hyperrealistic Soviet style artwork.
I actually did the art thing for a few years, traveled around and did shows and an occasional gallery - was a nice supplement to my day job -I do get a kick out of those hyped up, simpleton looking pieces that go for astronomic sums.
Old 12-09-2019, 06:55 PM

Beauty.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20807864_960.jpg (95.4 KB, 31 views)
Old 12-09-2019, 06:58 PM

think you will dig this story Colker...via the market...so a friend of mine, charlie leduff, did a thing in china touring with robert frank the photographer...some big show...for a story in vanity fair etc or something...anyhow, called charlie and asked about getting Frank's addy and sending him some books to sign...he was a notorious guy who didn't sign...Frank used to live in Vermont as well...so packed up 5 copies of the americans and wrote bob a letter...told him I was a working mailman and needed a new lawn mower...a rider...so if he could sign the books I would be selling one but what the hell...Bob signed all of them and sent back...I sold one of them the next day on ebay for a grand and had my new riding mower sent over....wrote bob back...he loved it...the other 4 copies are for when my roof goes and for the wife...that's art...

Last edited by cash05458; 12-09-2019 at 07:01 PM.
Old 12-09-2019, 07:01 PM

"I remember reading an article that talked about how the Jackson Pollock art and other abstract/modernistic art was actually secretly pushed/sponsored/paid for by the CIA . It was a pushback against the hyperrealistic Soviet style artwork."

seriously bud? I mean...not even sure what to say about that one...you honestly believe that? man, it takes all types...yeah, and rothko was a russian spy...there is a whole theory about how teddy adorno wrote all the beatles songs as well...that one is pretty good in terms of insanity...

Last edited by cash05458; 12-09-2019 at 07:04 PM.
Old 12-09-2019, 07:03 PM

Quote:
it's a cliche...but good art opens you up and fires your mind...folks think that is bs...that's fine...not to be insulting but most folks on here don't know jack **** about art on any level and are totally cynical about these sorta things...like they dont know philo or good lit...if they do, they can speak up...I mean, you want to buy good art...go find thomas kincaids and his light or whatever....I mean, that really is about the level...no sweat...it's a bike forum after all...check out wim delvoye colker...bet you might find him interesting...gothic dump trucks tatted pigs and poop machines etc...solid stuff via real art.
I like the pig. I like it a lot. He did a show on a gallery here but i could not see it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg delvoye-97-2-400x273.jpg (44.5 KB, 30 views)
Old 12-09-2019, 07:04 PM

Quote:
"I remember reading an article that talked about how the Jackson Pollock art and other abstract/modernistic art was actually secretly pushed/sponsored/paid for by the CIA . It was a pushback against the hyperrealistic Soviet style artwork."

seriously bud? I mean...not even sure what to say about that one...you honestly believe that?
Well yes, now your gonna make me dig into it again but as I recall it was a legitimate source - I'm not a National Enquirier type of reader...
Old 12-09-2019, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveoz View Post
Well yes, now your gonna make me dig into it again but as I recall it was a legitimate source - I'm not a National Enquirier type of reader...
yeah sure...legit uh huh...of course the cia dabbled into abstract expressionism...there is a theory....please start digging....
Old 12-09-2019, 07:08 PM

Quote:

seriously bud? I mean...not even sure what to say about that one...you honestly believe that? man, it takes all types...yeah, and rothko was a russian spy...there is a whole theory about how teddy adorno wrote all the beatles songs as well...that one is pretty good in terms of insanity...
The state department did promote a tour/ show of the american abstraction in Europe in the 50s. It was political.... but it´s not much different from sponsored art by the italian rennaissance Princes is it? Art should be protected by the state and nations as their treasure and spiritual values. New York became the art center of the world after word war two and abstractionism won over euro surrealism.

Last edited by colker; 12-09-2019 at 07:10 PM.
Old 12-09-2019, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colker View Post
The state department did promote a tour/ show of the american xpretionism in Europe in the 50s. It was political.... but it´s not much different from sponsored art by the italian rennaissance Princes is it? Art should be protected by the state and nations as their treasure and spiritual values.

that is called promoting american culture...something we used to do...other countries still do that actually....that aint the cia...it used to be called the culture department...we used to have some pride and a bit of money for that...that nutty commie kennedy used to do that as well...crazy...

Last edited by cash05458; 12-09-2019 at 07:14 PM.