Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-09-2019, 01:42 PM

If actually true

People are dumb.
Old 12-09-2019, 01:59 PM
Randomhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown Reek View Post
Kind of like that Banksy that shredded itself. Sorta.
the Banksy art was at least original. Like the guy that sold the first blank canvas, which was stupid, but daring and original. And then it spawned a whole movement of "monochrome art." Copycats are just annoying. This piece of art distilled out the uniqueness of the Banksy painting and replaced it with something anyone could make after a trip to Walmart.
Old 12-09-2019, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown Reek View Post
"The French art collector owns the "idea" of this art piece, so whether the banana itself sticks around or not doesn't affect its value. She still has the certificate of authenticity, so she's still got $120k worth of banana art to her name."

Kind of like that Banksy that shredded itself. Sorta.

Someone actually did buy it.

There is a good article in the NYT about the basel banana x Banksy. Banksy is the populist playing an anti establishment tune. Not much different than other anti establishment populist politicians who when when given space are as much disruptive of tradition as destructive of everything: tradition, culture, army, economy... You know who.
Old 12-09-2019, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
the Banksy art was at least original. Like the guy that sold the first blank canvas, which was stupid, but daring and original. And then it spawned a whole movement of "monochrome art." Copycats are just annoying. This piece of art distilled out the uniqueness of the Banksy painting and replaced it with something anyone could make after a trip to Walmart.
Banksy is original? Where? All of his cartoons (he is basically a cartoonist) have borrowed ideas.
Steinberg was original.
Old 12-09-2019, 02:14 PM

So.. where can i buy a pair of Lightweight wheels for $200? Because you know: a pair of wheels costs 200 dollars and anything more expensive is an elitist trick played on fools.

How much is a Jackson Pollock?
Old 12-09-2019, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
People are dumb.
That would be an understatement
Old 12-09-2019, 02:52 PM

I wouldn't mind a 29er. I'd have to sell my great condition Moots Rigor 26er to do so. But we all know those are obsolete now according to the manufacturers and so called experts. I wonder if I tape a piece of fruit to the top tube and call it art I'd get more money for it? Hmm
Old 12-09-2019, 03:46 PM

The great modern abstract artist Pierre Brassau would have loved that one.
Old 12-09-2019, 03:50 PM

People are awesome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-09-2019, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
People are dumb.

well, I think this art piece is pure bs but that is just my eye...but then again, most folks out there would think folks are crazy for paying 5 grand for a bike frame as well...art is one of those things that if you have a good eye for early work and decent taste, it just isn't an elitist thing and can be a good investment...I mean, I live in a trailer park and own some very good art you prolly think is crap...but then again I was given this stuff by friends...pieces by guys such as raymond pettibon, chris burden and some fairly famous belgian artists you haven't heard of I am sure...as they were gifts I hold onto them...figure my wife can sell them at some point when I am gone...oldest argument in the world that modern guys are bad...they always made the joke via pollock that any monkey could do that...yeah, if you bought one of those paintings from that monkey I will tell you that you not only have good taste but you are all set as will your grandkids ...

Last edited by cash05458; 12-09-2019 at 04:47 PM.
Old 12-09-2019, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cash05458 View Post
well, I think this art piece is pure bs but that is just my eye...but then again, most folks out there would think folks are crazy for paying 5 grand for a bike frame as well...art is one of those things that if you have a good eye for early work and decent taste, it just isn't an elitist thing and can be a good investment...I mean, I live in a trailer park and own some very good art you prolly think is crap...but then again I was given this stuff by friends...pieces by guys such as raymond pettibon, chris burden and some fairly famous belgian artists you haven't heard of I am sure...as they were gifts I hold onto them...figure my wife can sell them at some point when I am gone...oldest argument in the world that modern guys are bad...they always made the joke via pollock that any monkey could do that...yeah, if you bought one of those paintings from that monkey I will tell you that you not only have good taste but you are all set as will your grandkids ...
Burden and Pettibon... outstanding! I agree the Banana is a POS work made to shock; an extremist stunt. Otoh Cattelan is consistent.

A big Pollock should be... what? 50 million?
Old 12-09-2019, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colker View Post
Burden and Pettibon... outstanding! I agree the Banana is a POS work made to shock; an extremist stunt. Otoh Cattelan is consistent.

A big Pollock should be... what? 50 million?
Oh. prolly more....for some of the huge ones...the art market is crazy...to buy at that level is just high stakes gambling really I think once it is picked up into culture...nice if you have that cash but you had better have an advisor along with you...a belgian guy I am buddies with...luc tuymans... sells stuff for pretty much 3 quarters of a million new...and that's a deal in terms of his prices shooting up...I remember his first show...stuff costed about 500 bucks! Nice to see someone out here who knows who pettibon and burden are! Pretty easy to pick on art coming from a bike forum where we all pretty much have rich blood via prices of decent bikes...

Last edited by cash05458; 12-09-2019 at 05:07 PM.
Old 12-09-2019, 05:24 PM
cnighbor2

real art

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Still-Life-...68332e65853287
Old 12-09-2019, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cash05458 View Post
Oh. prolly more....for some of the huge ones...the art market is crazy...to buy at that level is just high stakes gambling really I think once it is picked up into culture...nice if you have that cash but you had better have an advisor along with you...a belgian guy I am buddies with...luc tuymans... sells stuff for pretty much 3 quarters of a million new...and that's a deal in terms of his prices shooting up...I remember his first show...stuff costed about 500 bucks! Nice to see someone out here who knows who pettibon and burden are! Pretty easy to pick on art coming from a bike forum where we all pretty much have rich blood via prices of decent bikes...
There is a lot of wrong in the art market. A lot of wrong w/ the power of curators. There is a lot of wrong w/ art too (Hirst, Koons).... but there is something beautifull: you cannot categorize people according to $ or how they look. That guy who is begging to buy a sandwich and looks like a moron may become a huge deal sometime somewhere. Although there is mostly strategy and marked cards today where galleries swim and play there is still an element of surprise, of humble, of humanity. The big artists know it and they are the ones who open the wallet to help powerless beginners.. it´s still the artists who tell what´s the real deal.

EDIT: Tuymans is a huge name.

Last edited by colker; 12-09-2019 at 05:32 PM.
Old 12-09-2019, 05:40 PM

yeah....Luc is huge now...Pettibon is doing great...both real things...raymond pulled him self by the old boot straps....started drawing at 15...worked it and did those early sst things...I used to buy his little mimeos from sst for a buck... they developed....to be honest, banking for a reason...hate to tell you, but sorta like koons...took me a bit but early stuff anyhow...hirst used to be good as well...not now...but he was...

Last edited by cash05458; 12-09-2019 at 05:44 PM.