Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-29-2022, 04:58 PM

Things to do in Denver/Colorado Springs

My wife and I are going to be in Colorado the beginning of July for a vacation before a family wedding. Have never been out there before but know a few folks live there or venture often. Looking for a few recommendations and advice:

We’ll fly into Denver and have three days to make it to Colorado Springs. We’ll have a car before we get to Colorado Springs.

1. Any places we should check out?
2. Is the city of Denver worth staying in?
3. I should have one day of good riding and a lot of <2 hours rides. Would you bring a mtb or road bike? I don’t have a serious gravel bike but have an all road with ~33 clearance. Any routes?
4. Any insider tips for traveling?

Thanks for any help!
Old 05-29-2022, 05:10 PM

Others will know more than me, but I was on an assignment in Denver a few years ago and went to Mt. Evans which is west of Denver. The mountain is over 14,000 feet and is the highest road in North America. You drive along this narrow road and the sign says road narrows ahead. The vews were awesome but scary. No shoulders and no guard rails and you could fall a 1,000 feet if you drive off the road. You get to about 13,000 feet and the road goes to one lane, followed by one switchback after another until you get to the summit. At that point, I was totally freaked out and my hands were shaking on the steering wheel. But I went back there again the next day.
Old 05-29-2022, 05:34 PM

Despite being a roadie, I would opt for a mountain bike in Colorado Springs.
Old 05-29-2022, 06:01 PM

+1 for MTB.

https://www.mtbproject.com/directory...lorado-springs

https://www.trailforks.com/region/colorado-springs/

Not so hot on Denver proper. Lots of people living on the street downtown. Colorado Springs has high crime rates.

If it was me, I’d go to a resort area, ride MTB till I was well done and then go to the wedding.
Old 05-29-2022, 06:07 PM
Older Than You

I generally stay in Glendale, which is completely surrounded by Denver. Cherry Creek Trail to the Platte River south to the E-470 trail. Or Cherry Creek SE to the High Line Canal Trail. Lots of options.

Mt. Evans or Garden Of The Gods in Colorado Springs are nice excursions. Boulder isn't too far away either. You can ride almost anywhere in Boulder.
Old 05-29-2022, 09:57 PM
Boeuf Chane

I'd definitely consider checking out RMNP. Trail Ridge Rd is a serious challenge, especially if you're coming from sea level, (never done it myself on the bike, just by car a few times) but there are plenty of other not quite as tough non-bike things to do too.

As you might expect, the west side of the park isn't nearly as busy as the east side.

https://www.nps.gov/romo/planyourvisit/biking.htm

Last edited by Louis; 05-29-2022 at 10:04 PM.
Old 05-30-2022, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rounder View Post
You drive along this narrow road and the sign says road narrows ahead. The vews were awesome but scary. No shoulders and no guard rails and you could fall a 1,000 feet if you drive off the road. You get to about 13,000 feet and the road goes to one lane, followed by one switchback after another until you get to the summit. At that point, I was totally freaked out and my hands were shaking on the steering wheel. But I went back there again the next day.
I was in Rocky Mountain National Park a couple of weeks ago and after hiking/running at 8000 feet, we drove up to 9000 feet. Saw a number of cyclists on the narrow mountain roads, including one pro who looked like he was having fun!

At one point, traffic came to a stop and a couple of the cars ahead of me pulled three point turns. They literally backed up (over?) to the one foot high retaining wall for their move...I couldn't watch...my hands were shaking just thinking about it. Did I mention that this was a *narrow* two lane mountain road?

A couple of hundred yards later we came to a parking area and traffic barriers. Evidently, the road ahead was closed due to snow (about six miles further...but this was the last good turnaround). I saw a couple of cyclists taking bikes off a minivan and heading up the closed road. Nice place for a workout!

To answer to OP's question, Boulder is a really interesting town, with lots of foodie options.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy

Last edited by C40_guy; 05-30-2022 at 05:14 AM.
Old 05-30-2022, 06:40 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by bthomas515 View Post
My wife and I are going to be in Colorado the beginning of July for a vacation before a family wedding. Have never been out there before but know a few folks live there or venture often. Looking for a few recommendations and advice:

We’ll fly into Denver and have three days to make it to Colorado Springs. We’ll have a car before we get to Colorado Springs.

1. Any places we should check out?
2. Is the city of Denver worth staying in?
3. I should have one day of good riding and a lot of <2 hours rides. Would you bring a mtb or road bike? I don’t have a serious gravel bike but have an all road with ~33 clearance. Any routes?
4. Any insider tips for traveling?

Thanks for any help!
Depends on your interests.
Wings over the Rockies-aircraft museum
Denver Art Museum
Denver Nature and Science Museum
Cheyenne Mountain Zoo
Cave of the Winds(Manitou Springs)
LOTS to see and do in Denver..less so in Colorado Springs.

https://www.viator.com/Denver-touris...UaAlvSEALw_wcB
Old 05-30-2022, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
I'd definitely consider checking out RMNP. Trail Ridge Rd is a serious challenge, especially if you're coming from sea level, (never done it myself on the bike, just by car a few times) but there are plenty of other not quite as tough non-bike things to do too.
I’d recommend Old Fall River Road going up and Trail Ridge Rd coming down. It’s doable on a road bike, but better with wider tires.
Old 05-30-2022, 11:07 AM

A basic but relevant question

What's the elevation of the the town where you currently live?
Old 05-30-2022, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
I’d recommend Old Fall River Road going up and Trail Ridge Rd coming down. It’s doable on a road bike, but better with wider tires.
+1. Especially if the OP gets out here early enough so that Old Fall River road hasn't opened to car traffic yet.
Old 05-30-2022, 01:46 PM

When in Colorado Springs make sure to eat at Shuga's. And if you've never taken a spin on your bike through Garden of the Gods, definitely do that as well. One way, cars are at low speed, beautiful scenery. Enjoy!
Old 05-30-2022, 02:15 PM

I always enjoy doing a lap or more of Garden of the Gods. It was also the first place I got smoked by an e-bike, papaw blew by me in jeans and loafers, and then granny who at least gave me a “we’rrrrrreeee cheeeeeaaatttttin’” as she flew by.

It’s not too far from there back toward town where you can pick up a greenway that goes up toward the Air Force Academy and on to Monument. I think it’s Pikes peak greenway in town and then becomes New Sante Fe as you go north. It runs back south toward Fountain too, but I prefer the northern part. Although they’d cleaned up the homeless encampments significantly last time I was there, lets say pre pandemic.
Old 05-30-2022, 04:53 PM
slower than you

Still skiing at Arapahoe Basin for a week or so. Bring your suncreen!
Old 05-30-2022, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdw View Post
What's the elevation of the the town where you currently live?
Worth thinking about.
Going from 1,000 ft. to 14,000 ft. is quite a hit.